Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Mar 6, 2017 at 10:00 AM Post #12,256 of 13,800
  This FW desaster is another thing I don´t really understand: why can´t LHL upload the latest drivers/firmwares on their support site?

It`s not rocket science, or?

There are supposedly different firmware versions for different models, and the firmware installer isn't smart enough to check that the firmware version is compatible with the hardware you're trying to install it on. I think LH Labs is afraid a lot of people would brick their Pulses if they posted all the different firmware versions on their site because of that.

Mar 6, 2017 at 10:48 AM Post #12,257 of 13,800

There are supposedly different firmware versions for different models, and the firmware installer isn't smart enough to check that the firmware version is compatible with the hardware you're trying to install it on. I think LH Labs is afraid a lot of people would brick their Pulses if they posted all the different firmware versions on their site because of that.

Exactly. It has happened more than once.

Mar 6, 2017 at 11:18 AM Post #12,258 of 13,800
Be interested to know people's thoughts on the headphone amp especially the balanced option . I have a pair of old hd565 ovations and wondered if a balanced cable would be an upgrade for occasional listening. Cheers Chris.

Mar 6, 2017 at 11:41 AM Post #12,259 of 13,800
I would stay away form LH Labs. I own a Geek Out, a Geek Pulse XFI and an LPS 4. Of the 3 products, only the Geek Out hasn't been sent back for repairs. The Pulse XFI, I had send back again a second time, because then sent it back to me nonfunctioning, AFTER A REPAIR! This has been going on for over 2 months. And this is after they had my unit for 3 months the first time. No one answers the support tickets. Worst company I've ever had to deal with. Worst money I've ever spent on audio gear. 

Mar 6, 2017 at 12:21 PM Post #12,260 of 13,800
Be interested to know people's thoughts on the headphone amp especially the balanced option . I have a pair of old hd565 ovations and wondered if a balanced cable would be an upgrade for occasional listening. Cheers Chris.

It's going to be a larger soundstage than SE, potentially more control over the frequency range -- depending on the price of the cable, you could also look into using that money on a discrete amp for further upgrade.

Mar 6, 2017 at 12:22 PM Post #12,261 of 13,800
  I would stay away form LH Labs. I own a Geek Out, a Geek Pulse XFI and an LPS 4. Of the 3 products, only the Geek Out hasn't been sent back for repairs. The Pulse XFI, I had send back again a second time, because then sent it back to me nonfunctioning, AFTER A REPAIR! This has been going on for over 2 months. And this is after they had my unit for 3 months the first time. No one answers the support tickets. Worst company I've ever had to deal with. Worst money I've ever spent on audio gear. 

Sent my Pulse X Infinity in for an RMA a month ago. No response in the tickets after multiple status requests from me. This tells me the company is in trouble, doesn't care, or both.

Even though there aren't many DACs with the newer Sabre chip in them like this, I would far prefer the Aune S6 or some other balanced DAC at this point. I'm not even sure I could resell this after it ever does get repaired. I still have a Geek Wave on the way even, and not really sure I want to even keep or open it.

Mar 6, 2017 at 4:29 PM Post #12,264 of 13,800
Well at least one Indiegogo project won the lottery.

Mar 6, 2017 at 11:36 PM Post #12,265 of 13,800
I managed to set-up the Pulse with the LPS4. Using it balanced with the Jotunheim as an dedicated amp and boy, it sure sounds great. Much better than the Jotunheim's internal DAC. Provided you got your Pulse and it works fine, there is nothing to scoff at concerning the sound quality. LPS4 & Pulse + Jotunheim - all balanced out to HE-560 = goosebumps...

I am not sure that I would say it was worth the wait at this point, after 2 and a half years, but the product does sound great and it makes you wonder if they organized the campaign better, focused on one product at a time, knew when to stop with the perks, the campaign could have been a huge success for them.

Mar 8, 2017 at 10:07 PM Post #12,268 of 13,800
  I managed to set-up the Pulse with the LPS4. Using it balanced with the Jotunheim as an dedicated amp and boy, it sure sounds great. Much better than the Jotunheim's internal DAC. Provided you got your Pulse and it works fine, there is nothing to scoff at concerning the sound quality. LPS4 & Pulse + Jotunheim - all balanced out to HE-560 = goosebumps...

I am not sure that I would say it was worth the wait at this point, after 2 and a half years, but the product does sound great and it makes you wonder if they organized the campaign better, focused on one product at a time, knew when to stop with the perks, the campaign could have been a huge success for them.

I agree. I've had my Pulse X infinity + LPS4 running for about a 18 months now and it still sounds awesome. (I pair it with a Cavalli LC, Uptone regen and run it off a PS Audio P300).

Mar 8, 2017 at 10:22 PM Post #12,269 of 13,800

I have a very similar setup except I have my own lps. It is a very good sounding setup, isnt it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back