Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Oct 30, 2016 at 3:50 AM Post #11,897 of 13,800
Because it still have bugs (won't display bit rate properly). But the rest is quite solid IME.

Oct 30, 2016 at 4:47 AM Post #11,898 of 13,800
  Today, it is three years since I ordered my Pulse.
Is there anyone else out there that booked Pulse on first campaign day who have not yet received it?

Two weeks ago there was only one Pulse Infinity left on Amazon and now it’s six.
I see that every time they start to run out of Pulse Infinity on Amazon they get a few new.

Is there anyone out there who have gotten their Pulse Infinity the last six months?

I backed Pulse (Infinity) in the first campaign and I'm still waiting. I'm a UK backer. I believe they were promising shipment sometime in November if I am not mistaken.

Oct 30, 2016 at 5:18 AM Post #11,899 of 13,800

I believe that the relevant point is that you should be able to turn off the Pulse and have it work properly when you turn it back on,
While I have not really tried to listen critically for possible improvements in SQ after hours/days/weeks, I have experienced numerous difficulties when I turn the device on after being off. Decisions about turning off when I am away for a while are mine to make based on my own personal reasoning. But when I turn on any device that I have ever owned of any type, they always work the way that they did when I turned them off..... other than my Pulse Xfi.

Request the firmware update. Fixes the problem nicely.

Not in my case, it made my Pulse Sfi practically unusable.I had to downgrade to the previous firmware. 

Oct 30, 2016 at 6:37 AM Post #11,900 of 13,800
Probably a different firmware..

Problem is, the DFU program could not tell if it is the right firmware for the unit or not. It just upload right away with out any warning.

Oct 30, 2016 at 7:33 AM Post #11,901 of 13,800
Probably a different firmware..

Problem is, the DFU program could not tell if it is the right firmware for the unit or not. It just upload right away with out any warning.

Well, it was sent to me by LHlabs, after I told them exactly what kind of a Geek I have. BTW. Mikey Fresh had the same experience with his Sfi. 

Oct 30, 2016 at 11:22 AM Post #11,902 of 13,800
It seems the problem is the firmware is not the same for all the models. Larry may not know the matrix. I think the Infinities work with the latest firmware. The other models may not.
The real answer is a firmware that works with every model, version, and vintage. I have an old (2009) FireWire Dac. They supported Windows and Mac. When Windows updated and broke the drivers it was two years before there was a fix. The Mac drivers were supported by Apple.
Small companies waste a lot of resources updating even USB drivers when supporting Windows.

Oct 30, 2016 at 1:45 PM Post #11,904 of 13,800

Still waiting for latest Infinity firmware! 15 days since my 1st ticket, 3 days since my 2nd ticket went in. How long are you folks waiting for LH Labs to respond? I guess it's not the 24 hrs they promise.

It is a week today since I requested the firmware for my infinity. No response yet at all.

Oct 30, 2016 at 3:40 PM Post #11,905 of 13,800
Well, at least those with issues have got their Pulses , I am still waiting for my Infinity having originally backed on 14 December 2013, my LPS4 has been sitting in its box gradually corroding since May 2015, and I am already doubting if I will get the Infinity this year. I have no idea whether I will get my Tube HPA before the end of the decade.

Despite what I said above I am sorry for those with issues and hope thay are quickly resolved. I also hope that LL Labs have learnt from their software issues and that they aren't repeated in the other projects such as the Wave and Source.

Oct 30, 2016 at 7:51 PM Post #11,906 of 13,800

Really?  Clocks are crystal structures that oscillate/vibrate at their target/designed frequencies only when brought to the proper temperature. It's called stabilization for a reason. If the temperature is to low or to high the crystal will not vibrate at the proper frequency and timing may be off as a result.  It's not just common wisdom and is accurate, it's the law of physics that can be tested and repeated!

+1, and at the risk of sounding like I'm defending LH Labs or their shipment of defective Pulse DACs (I'm certainly not), every single DAC I've owned beginning with the circa 1993 Altis 'Lil Bit, has sounded it's best not just after hours of being powered on, but days of being powered on.

Most DACs don't even have an on/off switch, and there is a reason for that, they are meant to be left on at all times.

Not seeking any kind of of thread war, nor providing any excuses for the poor QC of the Pulse DAC, but what I've said above and the post by @germay0653 aren't wild conjecture open for huge debate. Rather, they are facts.

We pretty much all say this over and over. It is all about perception. There are no facts, there is only consensus. The way we hear things is determined by our brains and what we perceive as reality.  This is not conjecture or opinion, but statistically  (really) proven by numerous studies
I have seen it over and over again in the 10 years plus that I have been around these forums. A few people say that they hear something. then it becomes a "proven: fact. It is not a fact, it is a widely shared opinion. Just possibly because we want to hear  what we are told that we should hear. None of us can escape  the power of suggestion when we want to be part of the cognoscenti. It is even harder when people are put down when they express diverging opinions and are slighted (or worse) for disagreeing.

That is all quite fine, it is part of the human condition, but it does not  constitute any level of any  definition of  the term "proof".

When I say highly doubtful, I can only say that from my perspective. I know the specs of the clocks. I know that the variability should not be significant to the audio  output of the device. I do not hear a difference. It is not because of my audio acuity nor my ability to perceive nuances in sound. It is because I do not expect there to be a difference.
Guys, I have been here for a long time, I have been listening to music critically with significant training longer than a lot of you. I certainly do not seek  to be considered a guru on any level. I do ask that my thoughts are accepted, even if not agreed with.

So what, well I am not sure why it is not accepted that in my perception, from my point of view, the reported results are doubtful at best. To me they are  extremely doubtful....  I stop at saying  BS, only to not get flamed any further. So what? I don't mean to threaten anyone's established conceptions. If you are not threatened by my thoughts, this will not hut your feelings. Please don't let it, nor let it trigger the "fight or flight" reaction!

SO I have electronic performance date and circuit performance analyses ...and what I hear on my side of the discussion. Many others have the "common wisdom" on their side. Who is right I can't say

If I try to change you mind on this.I will lose that one every time. That is not may intention.  Please don't feel threatened by someone disagreeing with you. I have a different view and my brain hears things differently from yours. I am also an engineer who understands The give and take of audio circuit design. This is not a subjectivist versus objectivist discussion. I buy into both. When the real physics and rules of electronic devices performance disagree, I question them.  You might  also... or not.

I agree that there are changes in component performance with temperature. Usually small changes, but nonetheless changes. I don't think that high performance "nano" clocks such at the Crystek clocks change enough to make any audible difference. If there is a difference it would more likely be attributable to changes in passive components. Resistors, capacitors, even ICs change values with temperature, this is well documented. Nano clocks with specs this tight, simply do not... unless they are defective. That being said, once thermal equilibrium is reached in the device (stabilization of the temperatures INSIDE all of the components), this can not make the circuit performance change. I believe, due to infrared measurements on many circuits, with stable ambient temperature, will occur within an hour. It seems real strange that it would take two weeks... ?

I also think that looking at electronic circuit performance  that is well documented is worth considering in these conversations. If there are changes in sound over time, it is much more likely to come from passive components changing with time and temperature than it is from changes in high precision  crystal oscillators changing with time.

In the end it really doesn't matter. You hear what you hear I hear what I hear... just don't. please, feel   thereatened when somone doesn't buy into you personal perception. I don't think you are wrong, please don't judge me ... or put me down based on the fact I think differently.

That is what I think. I truly hope my thoughts are not threatening enough to people to make them upset. They are simply my thoughts. Aren't everyone's thoughts welcome here?

You hear what you hear, I hear what I hear. I am backed up by electronics circuit performance data, "you" (indefinite "you") are backed up by "common wisdom" .

I don't claim to be right, nor "you" wrong. I think I have a point of view worth considering...

Oct 30, 2016 at 9:29 PM Post #11,907 of 13,800

We pretty much all say this over and over. It is all about perception. There are no facts, there is only consensus. The way we hear things is determined by our brains and what we perceive as reality.  This is not conjecture or opinion, but statistically  (really) proven by numerous studies
I have seen it over and over again in the 10 years plus that I have been around these forums. A few people say that they hear something. then it becomes a "proven: fact. It is not a fact, it is a widely shared opinion. Just possibly because we want to hear  what we are told that we should hear. None of us can escape  the power of suggestion when we want to be part of the cognoscenti. It is even harder when people are put down when they express diverging opinions and are slighted (or worse) for disagreeing.

That is all quite fine, it is part of the human condition, but it does not  constitute any level of any  definition of  the term "proof".

When I say highly doubtful, I can only say that from my perspective. I know the specs of the clocks. I know that the variability should not be significant to the audio  output of the device. I do not hear a difference. It is not because of my audio acuity nor my ability to perceive nuances in sound. It is because I do not expect there to be a difference.
Guys, I have been here for a long time, I have been listening to music critically with significant training longer than a lot of you. I certainly do not seek  to be considered a guru on any level. I do ask that my thoughts are accepted, even if not agreed with.

So what, well I am not sure why it is not accepted that in my perception, from my point of view, the reported results are doubtful at best. To me they are  extremely doubtful....  I stop at saying  BS, only to not get flamed any further. So what? I don't mean to threaten anyone's established conceptions. If you are not threatened by my thoughts, this will not hut your feelings. Please don't let it, nor let it trigger the "fight or flight" reaction!

SO I have electronic performance date and circuit performance analyses ...and what I hear on my side of the discussion. Many others have the "common wisdom" on their side. Who is right I can't say

If I try to change you mind on this.I will lose that one every time. That is not may intention.  Please don't feel threatened by someone disagreeing with you. I have a different view and my brain hears things differently from yours. I am also an engineer who understands The give and take of audio circuit design. This is not a subjectivist versus objectivist discussion. I buy into both. When the real physics and rules of electronic devices performance disagree, I question them.  You might  also... or not.

I agree that there are changes in component performance with temperature. Usually small changes, but nonetheless changes. I don't think that high performance "nano" clocks such at the Crystek clocks change enough to make any audible difference. If there is a difference it would more likely be attributable to changes in passive components. Resistors, capacitors, even ICs change values with temperature, this is well documented. Nano clocks with specs this tight, simply do not... unless they are defective. That being said, once thermal equilibrium is reached in the device (stabilization of the temperatures INSIDE all of the components), this can not make the circuit performance change. I believe, due to infrared measurements on many circuits, with stable ambient temperature, will occur within an hour. It seems real strange that it would take two weeks... ?

I also think that looking at electronic circuit performance  that is well documented is worth considering in these conversations. If there are changes in sound over time, it is much more likely to come from passive components changing with time and temperature than it is from changes in high precision  crystal oscillators changing with time.

In the end it really doesn't matter. You hear what you hear I hear what I hear... just don't. please, feel   thereatened when somone doesn't buy into you personal perception. I don't think you are wrong, please don't judge me ... or put me down based on the fact I think differently.

That is what I think. I truly hope my thoughts are not threatening enough to people to make them upset. They are simply my thoughts. Aren't everyone's thoughts welcome here?

You hear what you hear, I hear what I hear. I am backed up by electronics circuit performance data, "you" (indefinite "you") are backed up by "common wisdom" .

I don't claim to be right, nor "you" wrong. I think I have a point of view worth considering...

Fair enough and yes everyone's view is both valid and welcome, it's what makes these forums go. No I wasn't flaming you at all.

The point I was making is as you said, only from my experience, and so my choice of words was poor when I said they were facts.

However I've spoken directly with many EE design engineers who absolutely all agree that something like warm-up for a product to sound it's best is pretty much universally accepted. Now exactly how much warm up? That varies by product and of course it's a subjective thing when someone decides any particular unit has fully warmed up or "come on song" as the British like to say.

The LH Labs position that the clocks need warm-up is only part of that topic, it seems that when you shut a product down it then needs time once re-powered to have the dielectric properties of the capacitors or indeed any insulator including wire jacketing to "re-stabilize". So it's not only a warm-up of the clocks, really it's everything.

My point about the lack of a power switch on any of a half dozen or more DACs I've owned is valid. I had asked the product designers some years ago why DACs did not have on/off switches like amps, preamps, CD players did, and they all said because the units are meant to be left on at all times, and they sound their best that way. Is that a clock thing? Perhaps.

The Pulse is the only DAC I've ever owned (excepting portable battery powered units) that even has an on/off switch. The fact the Pulse's on/off switch is tiny and on the rear panel suggests it is not meant to be used as a matter of course, otherwise it would be on the front panel where it's easy to see and reach.

Yes, we all hear what we hear, and no one can change that just by posting something to the contrary.

Again, no flame war intended, I just found it odd that anyone on an enthusiast forum like this hasn't heard the difference between a cold and warmed up product, or found that difference to be significant. To me it is, so much so that I shamefully admit that my main system is left on 24/7, unless I'm going away for a period of days. Waste of electricity? Yes, but it's all solid-state so no vacuum tube life span to worry about.

Ever notice a light bulb burns out only when you flip the switch and never while just at a steady-state of being on? Thats due to the surge at start-up, an old filament will eventually no longer be able to tolerate that surge. Conventional wisdom suggests that many/most circuits behave in a similar fashion, too many on/off cycles actually age the circuit more than if it were just left on at all times, due to that inrush of current at start-up.

Those cycles of surge at start-up can eventually lead to circuit failure. Thats the real reason I leave my system on at all times, as warm-up in my circumstance only takes about 30 minutes or so to be mostly complete, with much smaller incremental gains in sound quality over many hours of run-time.

But of course thats just my system and personal experience, other's mileage can and will vary.

Finally, I in no way mean to give LH Labs a pardon for the Pulse's sketchy behavior on power up, thankfully mine doesn't exhibit that particular issue though I don't use Windows. My firmware nightmare involves loud audio glitches when switching between USB and Toslink, as well as lack of smooth glitch free changes in sample rate. 

The whole "give me your model and serial # so that we can figure out what batch you were in so we can give you custom firmware" is absurd, and I can only conclude that large numbers of defective non-QC passing boards were sent to customers.

GF's missive in the last Pulse campaign IGG "update" points further in that exact direction, but his contention that there was only a problem with the last 80 Infinity boards falls well short of the reality.

Oct 31, 2016 at 8:00 AM Post #11,908 of 13,800
Well, at least those with issues have got their Pulses , I am still waiting for my Infinity having originally backed on 14 December 2013, my LPS4 has been sitting in its box gradually corroding since May 2015, and I am already doubting if I will get the Infinity this year. I have no idea whether I will get my Tube HPA before the end of the decade.

Despite what I said above I am sorry for those with issues and hope thay are quickly resolved. I also hope that LL Labs have learnt from their software issues and that they aren't repeated in the other projects such as the Wave and Source.

Sorry, but what you are stating is not correct.You didnt back an Infinity on December 2013, there was no Infinity at the time. You backed a Geek Pulse. Had you left it at that you would be enjoying the Pulse now (or not). But you added more perks to your initial backing, the product you are waiting for has little to do with the product of December 2013. I am not saying that everything is OK and you should not be complaining, just that it is not as bad as you make it look.

Nov 1, 2016 at 12:39 AM Post #11,910 of 13,800
Well they said that the infinities would ship in order of your pulse order that was updated to an infinity.

So if you ordered your original pulse in December of 13, you should get your infinity before someone who ordered it in Jan 14. (With the exception of the first batch that were sent to us customers, since any warranty returns would be easier.)

You need to file support tickets and ask what is going on... You should have received your infinity a while ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back