Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Oct 26, 2016 at 10:18 AM Post #11,866 of 13,800
Make some noise...bug them to death!! 
gs1000.gif

Oct 27, 2016 at 9:53 PM Post #11,868 of 13,800

In cyberspace no one can hear you scream...

Well, I'm screaming now in response to the Indiegogo update sent today about the HPA. I'm waiting on both an HPA SS and an HPA Tube, originally perked in February 2015, so at least it was good to finally hear something about them after more than 3 months since the last update.

Here's the problem: Larry announced that the HPA is now going to require a 15V supply, but LH Labs previously told LPS owners to upgrade to the LPS4 in order to drive both the Pulse Infinity and the HPA. Now I'm stuck with two LPS4 boxes, having paid $170 each to get 3 additional 12V outputs that are now totally useless.

I already submitted a ticket complaining about this and asking what they plan to do to fix the mess this decision creates. Converting some of the outputs of the yet-to-be-released LPS8 does absolutely nothing for existing LPS4 owners.

Oct 28, 2016 at 12:04 AM Post #11,869 of 13,800

Well, I'm screaming now in response to the Indiegogo update sent today about the HPA. I'm waiting on both an HPA SS and an HPA Tube, originally perked in February 2015, so at least it was good to finally hear something about them after more than 3 months since the last update.

Here's the problem: Larry announced that the HPA is now going to require a 15V supply, but LH Labs previously told LPS owners to upgrade to the LPS4 in order to drive both the Pulse Infinity and the HPA. Now I'm stuck with two LPS4 boxes, having paid $170 each to get 3 additional 12V outputs that are now totally useless.

I already submitted a ticket complaining about this and asking what they plan to do to fix the mess this decision creates. Converting some of the outputs of the yet-to-be-released LPS8 does absolutely nothing for existing LPS4 owners.

​They sold us LPS4's, with he promise of completing a Pulse based music system. Then they change the design parameters (Voltage Requirement)of the HPA Tube. Is there anything we can do about it?

Oct 28, 2016 at 12:16 AM Post #11,870 of 13,800
Wow, they're just openly bending over their backers at this point. Sorry for the bad news.

Oct 28, 2016 at 12:42 AM Post #11,871 of 13,800
Sometimes amps can use any PSU within a voltage range like I know the uptone audio regen uses 7 to 12v or something like that. Si maybe the lh labs headphone amp will work with 12 OR 15 volts?

Oct 28, 2016 at 2:05 AM Post #11,872 of 13,800
Also, since LPS8 backer will have 8 routes of 12V output originally. We will upgrade two of these 8 to become 15V. And I got few requests to lower one of its output to 7 ~ 9V in order to power up the other devices. We will try to put this consideration too. Once it is confirmed 100% doable, will make a quick update as well

What does this part mean? Does this mean the LPS8 doesn't work for the Pulse, Source or PTP?
I'm getting so tired of these confusing updates that only lead to more questions and frustration

Oct 28, 2016 at 2:36 AM Post #11,873 of 13,800
It means LPS8 will have 2 x 15v outputs, 6 x 12v outputs and there is a chance on converting one ov those 12v outputs to a 7-9v output. I think the HPA is the only item that they have explicitly stated as going to 15v.

Oct 28, 2016 at 2:39 AM Post #11,874 of 13,800
​They sold us LPS4's, with he promise of completing a Pulse based music system. Then they change the design parameters (Voltage Requirement)of the HPA Tube. Is there anything we can do about it?

This whole situation is f'ed up. I submitted a trouble ticket about this too. I think they should allow HPA backers with LPS4s to upgrade to the LPS4 in 2.0 chassis with the 15v tap for HPA.

Oct 28, 2016 at 12:15 PM Post #11,875 of 13,800
Interestingly, more often than not, if I do not turn the pulse off, all is good. I know some say to never do this, but I go some long periods between using the Pulse. I just can't justify leaving it running all of the time.

BTW I use several other USB DACs with no issues using the same cables and ports on the same machines.

Firstly, this thing is a bit flaky and doesn't work as well as other USB DACs I've had. I think that's a common understanding across the Pulse threads.

On your long duration, though, I often go 2-4 weeks without using my Pulse, but I leave it on and connected all the time. The parts inside aren't going to wear out in its lifetime and thermal stability is good, so why not? Leaving the AC for a couple hours uses more power.

Oct 28, 2016 at 12:15 PM Post #11,876 of 13,800
I have too have an HPA Tube in line with a LPS4 (of like the rest of you the same reason I opted right now...bought some tubes also for some rolling in the future) and fuming  
mad.gif

At least have an IGG exclusive 12V HPA before they hit retail. There they could have their 15v.

Or why create LPS4 in the first place and not back it up...

Oct 28, 2016 at 9:21 PM Post #11,879 of 13,800

Interestingly, more often than not, if I do not turn the pulse off, all is good. I know some say to never do this, but I go some long periods between using the Pulse. I just can't justify leaving it running all of the time.

BTW I use several other USB DACs with no issues using the same cables and ports on the same machines.

Firstly, this thing is a bit flaky and doesn't work as well as other USB DACs I've had. I think that's a common understanding across the Pulse threads.

On your long duration, though, I often go 2-4 weeks without using my Pulse, but I leave it on and connected all the time. The parts inside aren't going to wear out in its lifetime and thermal stability is good, so why not? Leaving the AC for a couple hours uses more power.

I consider it to be quite wasteful .. for energy use, and ageing of the electronics (heat kills micro devices.. check test data).

I can't understand why ..given adequate driver compatibility, it should not be able to be turned off and restarted ..and still talk to the source.
In any case, I do not think that what you do has anything at all to do with my situation and my expectations. Not to be harsh, that is what is.

If it can't do this, fine, I get rid of it. But it really should be able to, as large numbers of other DACs, some lots less expensive accomplish this regularly.

IOW, no excuses. It sucks!

The common wisdom (often not at all accurate) was that it needed to be left on to stabilize the clocks... and supposedly sound "better" . Doubtful at best.
There is no reason to require it be left on just so I can connect it to my source... None! If the thing is designed correctly and has working drivers, that is.

Oct 29, 2016 at 12:35 AM Post #11,880 of 13,800

I consider it to be quite wasteful .. for energy use, and ageing of the electronics (heat kills micro devices.. check test data).

I can't understand why ..given adequate driver compatibility, it should not be able to be turned off and restarted ..and still talk to the source.
In any case, I do not think that what you do has anything at all to do with my situation and my expectations. Not to be harsh, that is what is.

If it can't do this, fine, I get rid of it. But it really should be able to, as large numbers of other DACs, some lots less expensive accomplish this regularly.

IOW, no excuses. It sucks!

The common wisdom (often not at all accurate) was that it needed to be left on to stabilize the clocks... and supposedly sound "better" . Doubtful at best.
There is no reason to require it be left on just so I can connect it to my source... None! If the thing is designed correctly and has working drivers, that is.

"The common wisdom (often not at all accurate) was that it needed to be left on to stabilize the clocks... and supposedly sound "better" . Doubtful at best." 

Really?  Clocks are crystal structures that oscillate/vibrate at their target/designed frequencies only when brought to the proper temperature. It's called stabilization for a reason. If the temperature is to low or to high the crystal will not vibrate at the proper frequency and timing may be off as a result.  It's not just common wisdom and is accurate, it's the law of physics that can be tested and repeated!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back