Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Jan 19, 2016 at 9:38 AM Post #10,681 of 13,800
I just bought the standard Geek Pulse second had and I'm having some issues, wonder if you all have any input?

I installed the drivers on one of my pc's and a laptop.  I set the primary audio source as the Pulse and set the input select to USB.  I don't get any sound from it at all.  It also seems to freeze any video playback using MPC, VLC, SMP, and even streaming Youtube video!  I've tried switching the cables, uninstalling/re-installing the drivers, changing usb ports and I still have not had any success. 

The weird thing is, I can get sound if I use the TOSLINK input but the DAC seems to stutter quite a bit.  Both machines are running Windows 10 Pro and are very well capable (i7 desktop/laptop).

I don't think I can send it to LH due to not being the original owner, is this thing DOA?

Jan 19, 2016 at 9:41 AM Post #10,682 of 13,800
  Finally got to listen to the Yggy. Straight out of the box, it sounds better than the infinity, hands down. It's a B-Stock Yggy. So, I don't know if it's been used and is burn in or not. If it isn't, I can't wait for it to sound better.

Late Night Alumni - Moonwalking, her voice is more real and musical, breathtaking. I didn't know the meaning of air until today.

Yeah, so that's what I was expecting to hear if the two ever had a shoot out. None of this "they were surprisingly close" stuff.

Look at the uproar the Yggdrasil has been causing since June, which show no signs of stopping, and look at how many Infinities have been for sale in the forums. I like my Infinity now, I won't be selling mine, but they aren't in the same league :-/

Congrats on the purchase zerograin. Enjoy it, man :)

Jan 19, 2016 at 11:31 AM Post #10,683 of 13,800
Hmmm, wonder how my Vi Tube Dac will fare...basically the same DAC, :frowning2:

Jan 19, 2016 at 11:55 AM Post #10,684 of 13,800
  I just bought the standard Geek Pulse second had and I'm having some issues, wonder if you all have any input?

I installed the drivers on one of my pc's and a laptop.  I set the primary audio source as the Pulse and set the input select to USB.  I don't get any sound from it at all.  It also seems to freeze any video playback using MPC, VLC, SMP, and even streaming Youtube video!  I've tried switching the cables, uninstalling/re-installing the drivers, changing usb ports and I still have not had any success. 

The weird thing is, I can get sound if I use the TOSLINK input but the DAC seems to stutter quite a bit.  Both machines are running Windows 10 Pro and are very well capable (i7 desktop/laptop).

I don't think I can send it to LH due to not being the original owner, is this thing DOA?

Have you tried changing the buffer settings in the LHLabs control panel?

Jan 19, 2016 at 12:25 PM Post #10,685 of 13,800

Yeah, so that's what I was expecting to hear if the two ever had a shoot out. None of this "they were surprisingly close" stuff.

Look at the uproar the Yggdrasil has been causing since June, which show no signs of stopping, and look at how many Infinities have been for sale in the forums. I like my Infinity now, I won't be selling mine, but they aren't in the same league :-/

Congrats on the purchase zerograin. Enjoy it, man :)

Thanks Benny-x!
The Yggy was a hefty purchase, made more hefty having bough the Pulse XFI. But, what can you do?
I have no regrets purchasing the Schiit. The music that comes out of it, did help me forget the pain of dealing with LHL. Hopefully, eventually, the XFI will ship. Not sure what I will do with it. I have no use for it.

Jan 19, 2016 at 1:18 PM Post #10,686 of 13,800
Yggy, when it was still called Statement DAC, was my dream DAC but I got the Pulse XFi thinking it will ship first.  Duh!

How about comparing Gungnir Multibit to Pulse XFi?  Gungnir is closer to the price we paid for the XFi.  Gungnir should be like 80-90% of Yggy.

Gungnir Multibit+DSD vs XFi DSD?  Anyone?  This should get more interesting.

Jan 19, 2016 at 5:48 PM Post #10,687 of 13,800
  Yggy, when it was still called Statement DAC, was my dream DAC but I got the Pulse XFi thinking it will ship first.  Duh!

How about comparing Gungnir Multibit to Pulse XFi?  Gungnir is closer to the price we paid for the XFi.  Gungnir should be like 80-90% of Yggy.

I would compare my XFi with my new GMB but the XFI has stopped working now for the second time. Awaiting my (second) RMA but was notified over a week ago that their RMA service was being revamped and was temporarily on hold. They estimated 7 days but has been longer. Haven't heard from them since. Thank goodness the Gumby sounds fantastic. Based upon memory, the Gumby will likely be the clear winner, but I'll have to get my XFi fixed first before I can confirm with certainty. There is one thing I can say with (almost) certainty, I won't be purchasing an LH Labs product again.

Jan 19, 2016 at 5:49 PM Post #10,688 of 13,800

Thanks Benny-x!
The Yggy was a hefty purchase, made more hefty having bough the Pulse XFI. But, what can you do?
I have no regrets purchasing the Schiit. The music that comes out of it, did help me forget the pain of dealing with LHL. Hopefully, eventually, the XFI will ship. Not sure what I will do with it. I have no use for it.

x2. :wink:

Jan 20, 2016 at 2:55 AM Post #10,689 of 13,800

What's this "+DSD" bit about? Schiit is still against DSD, so how to you plan on swinging that besides DoP?

Jan 20, 2016 at 6:06 PM Post #10,690 of 13,800
Infinity is on it's way back to Amazon.

I submitted a support ticket about the XFI shipping status, and received a generic response:

"I apologize for the delay in your Pulse unit shipping out. The latest batch of boards that were delivered to us had a 88% failure rate. We do have you on file and will be able to ship your unit out once we receive our replacement boards in house. Unfortunately at this time our production team is behind schedule in delivering the units. They estimate that the boards will arrive around mid February. Once again I apologize for the delay and appreciate your patience as the production team works to get these units shipped out to the remaining backers as quickly as possible."

If the replacement boards aren't coming in till mid Feb, that means Pulse probably won't be shipping until March. Damn!

Jan 21, 2016 at 12:39 AM Post #10,692 of 13,800

I've got a (used) X-fi infinity & (new) Gugnir Multibit coming in next week - I should be able to compare (no DSD on the Schiit though-  it doesn't bother me). 

(As an aside - the Schiit Gumby was about <correction> 35% more expensive than my 'used' deal on the X-fi Infinity. That's what non-transferable warranties does).

Jan 21, 2016 at 1:04 AM Post #10,693 of 13,800
I've got a (used) X-fi infinity & (new) Gugnir Multibit coming in next week - I should be able to compare (no DSD on the Schiit though-  it doesn't bother me). 

(As an aside - the Schiit Gumby was about 25% more expensive than my 'used' deal on the X-fi Infinity. That's what non-transferable warranties does).

I don't understand the logic behind non transferable warranty. Does any other company do this? It is just dumb.

Jan 21, 2016 at 4:19 AM Post #10,695 of 13,800
I don't understand the logic behind non transferable warranty. Does any other company do this? It is just dumb.

Non transferrable warranty is the rope that ties you to the maunufacturer - at least that is what LHL seem to think. Actually a transferrable warranty is not too hard to handle - but  you need good data of your sales. Now look at the mess that LHL has produced on this side of the business with 2 (or 3 ??) changes to their Website and customer "satisfaction" service....

Considering the - to my mind often discussable - production quality of the Pulse they must be cheering loud with every sale on the classifieds as they get rid of any warranty.

If you were  REALLY convinced of the quality of your products it would be a very good argument to employ a different policy on your products like: 
"If You don't like them send them back to me (and maybe use a time limit of 4 weeks or so) and You will be refunded" - No "ifs" and "whens". That would be business behaviour that generates trust with your customers and - given the product is generally ok - would probably lower the rate of returns and definitely of "bad press" in the Forums.

I really wonder if LHL believe that their future Clients don't inform themselves in these forums ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back