Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Nov 4, 2015 at 11:49 AM Post #10,007 of 13,800

I know this probably won't make you feel much better at this point but there is hope.  I initially had issues with both my Vanilla and Xfi Pulses that rendered them unusable.  To their credit, LH was very responsive and I've since had units that work well.  Hopefully you'll have a similar experience.

There seems to be an issue with some Pulses where they either dont sync at all or have random sync issues I think you should open a ticket and get it returned for a replacement or repair.

Thanks for the responses.  Yes I opened a ticket and they sent me firmware Geek Pulse version 1.5 build 2.29.0.  I updated the firmware and now I will test for a couple of days to see if it worked.  Hopefully I won't have a $450 (including shipping and 1G cable) paperweight anymore.

So I updated the firmware and it seems like the device is more stable and I am not (currently) having the same issues when I make any changes to input/volume/gain.   I will keep monitoring for a bit so far my issue seems resolved.  

Does anyone know how powerful the amp is?  I have the vanilla Geek Pulse (first chassis) and have to set the gain to high and the volume to -20 to -21.  Is the amp in the Geek Pulse strong enough for the HD650 (or simliar headphones).  

Nov 4, 2015 at 2:00 PM Post #10,009 of 13,800

So I updated the firmware and it seems like the device is more stable and I am not (currently) having the same issues when I make any changes to input/volume/gain.   I will keep monitoring for a bit so far my issue seems resolved.  

Does anyone know how powerful the amp is?  I have the vanilla Geek Pulse (first chassis) and have to set the gain to high and the volume to -20 to -21.  Is the amp in the Geek Pulse strong enough for the HD650 (or simliar headphones).  

Using the HD600 (balanced though). Volume depends on music. Using high gain, the dial doesn't go over -20.

Nov 4, 2015 at 4:30 PM Post #10,010 of 13,800
Glad to hear that the firmware update helped! As for volume, I haven't had my Vanilla Pulse out for a while, put I recall using it in the 40-ish range with the HD6X0s. 20-ish would be too loud for me!

Using the HD600 (balanced though). Volume depends on music. Using high gain, the dial doesn't go over -20.

Thanks for the info.  I asked LH Labs in the ticket and they said that it outputs up to 1W of power.  I am usually between 20 to 35 depending on the song.  I was debating about the Massdrop Grace Design m9xx because I thought maybe the power output would be higher for m9xx.  I am not an engineer so most of the amp specs are confusing and when I try to understand the calculations, my eyes glaze over.  
rolleyes.gif

Nov 4, 2015 at 6:59 PM Post #10,011 of 13,800
Volume is  kind of tricky depending the source of the music and type of headphone.   I use my XFI with Alpha Dogs balanced on medium gain with Tidal via IMAC around -28 to -20 depending the genre. 

For You Tube - normally -20.

Nov 4, 2015 at 7:16 PM Post #10,012 of 13,800
Just a little indirect shipping status update. I originally backed the Pulse X DAC on December 21, 2013. I added all the various perks through the infinity, and my last contribution was February 7, 2015 for the indinity AQ2M DAC chip upgrade. I elected to go with the 2.0 chassis, not anticipating an additional five month wait.

Today, I received a shipping notice email indicating that my Pulse X∞ is shipping. Since I initially backed the Pulse late in the initial campaign, this suggests to me that all units initially backed in the original campaign should be shipped very soon.

Just an FYI.

J.P.

Nov 5, 2015 at 12:41 AM Post #10,013 of 13,800
Just a little indirect shipping status update. I originally backed the Pulse X DAC on December 21, 2013. I added all the various perks through the infinity, and my last contribution was February 7, 2015 for the indinity AQ2M DAC chip upgrade. I elected to go with the 2.0 chassis, not anticipating an additional five month wait.

Today, I received a shipping notice email indicating that my Pulse X∞ is shipping. Since I initially backed the Pulse late in the initial campaign, this suggests to me that all units initially backed in the original campaign should be shipped very soon.

Just an FYI.

J.P.

I backed it quite early but I'm international so still nothing for me.
I'm also a 2.0 upgrade guy. I did appreciate the Lightspeed 2g they gave me with the Infinity upgrade though.

Nov 5, 2015 at 1:54 AM Post #10,014 of 13,800
Yes, they did say that initially they would be shipping to USA addresses. They were doing this so any early field failures or bugs could be corrected more quickly, with shorter shipping times. I would think that this process would have be done a while now and most shipping would be done by initial backing dates.

If your initial backing date was much before December 21, 2013 (that's 2013, not 2014) then I would open a support ticket with LH Labs asking why your Pulse infinite has not shipped, since someone who backed it well after you has.

It does seem that their shipping order is only loosely based on initial backing date, but more than a few weeks seems inappropriate. Some people have been lost in the system and have had to submit a support ticket to get LH Labs attention and get their products shipped.

Best of luck with this. As is, I think that Pulse infinity shipping should be pretty much completed by the end of November.

J.P.

Nov 5, 2015 at 2:31 AM Post #10,015 of 13,800
  Around three weeks ago I posted about a comparison I did between two versions of the vanilla Geek Pulse that I have. One from a very early batch with the 1.0 chassis and the second one from a batch I received late September with the 1.1 chassis.  Just to briefly sum it up. The 1.0 chassis/version is much heavier than the 1.1.

So at this point. My version 1.1, late batch, has now encountered above 200 hours of burn-in and still the differences that I encountered after 20 hours, comparing the two units using a a/b devise are pretty much similar. There's a 1.5-2.0 DB difference that I have adjusted for.  Otherwise they do not sound identical. As much as I want them to, they don't!  I have blindfolded myself upside down with the help of trustworthy people of course and I can still relative easily distinguish between the two units.  Maybe it would be a minor difference or none to others, that is absolutely very possible and usually my ears aren't really capable of noticing much difference between other audio gear units or at least pay much attention to it! 

Anyhow, now I'm thinking if it is possible that lhlabs during this relative long process of designing/manufacturing, shipping as well, supplier issues etc. not only changed to a chassis design that probably didn't hit them financial by a significant loss but also that the internal components have been altered along the way and thereby more or less slightly altering the sound presentation? 
Maybe not fully intentional but from a pure profit perspective and in the long run no one will really notice. So from my experience I certainly won't rule out that identical named units can sound rather different and who knows what else!

I'll keep burning in! 

Hi Jupiterknight,     Between the v1.0 and v1.1 , which one sounds better ?

Nov 5, 2015 at 3:41 AM Post #10,016 of 13,800
Yes, they did say that initially they would be shipping to USA addresses. They were doing this so any early field failures or bugs could be corrected more quickly, with shorter shipping times. I would think that this process would have be done a while now and most shipping would be done by initial backing dates.

They said "Batch two will focus on international orders. We’ll provide more info regarding a shipping date in a couple days." on Indiegogo around two weeks ago. I am one of the early backers (October, 2013) and have nothing from LH Labs so far. Not surprised that they fail to keep their word again.

Nov 5, 2015 at 6:32 AM Post #10,018 of 13,800
  Thanks for the info.  I asked LH Labs in the ticket and they said that it outputs up to 1W of power.  I am usually between 20 to 35 depending on the song.  I was debating about the Massdrop Grace Design m9xx because I thought maybe the power output would be higher for m9xx.  I am not an engineer so most of the amp specs are confusing and when I try to understand the calculations, my eyes glaze over.  
rolleyes.gif

Hmm I recall a figure of 4W being claimed during the Pulse campaign.  I'd agree though that it seems more like 1W as imho it's not really capable of driving the HE1000 to it's best compared to a more powerful (generalising) amp.

Nov 5, 2015 at 10:25 AM Post #10,020 of 13,800

Thanks for the info.  I asked LH Labs in the ticket and they said that it outputs up to 1W of power.  I am usually between 20 to 35 depending on the song.  I was debating about the Massdrop Grace Design m9xx because I thought maybe the power output would be higher for m9xx.  I am not an engineer so most of the amp specs are confusing and when I try to understand the calculations, my eyes glaze over.  :rolleyes:

Hmm I recall a figure of 4W being claimed during the Pulse campaign.  I'd agree though that it seems more like 1W as imho it's not really capable of driving the HE1000 to it's best compared to a more powerful (generalising) amp.

Is it still the same 1 W going balanced with the lps? Isn't supposed to be nore powerful? Are you using your he1000 this way. If that is the case mine will go up in the fs section ASAP. That is some bull crap. I thought the lps helps its power out put. When I opened up a ticket this is what I was told. Edit: actually the specs say its more powerful that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back