Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Aug 13, 2015 at 9:24 AM Post #8,851 of 13,800

How can one tell which DAC is inside? I paid for the AQ2M and I'd like to make sure that my 1.0 has it.

Serial Number and ask LH Labs I believe. But yea, if you paid for it, you are supposed to have it, but they did not make every Infinity with the new chip, it was a small price to upgrade though, so those that were willing to wait id end up paying the difference.

Aug 13, 2015 at 12:40 PM Post #8,852 of 13,800
  Serial Number and ask LH Labs I believe. But yea, if you paid for it, you are supposed to have it, but they did not make every Infinity with the new chip, it was a small price to upgrade though, so those that were willing to wait id end up paying the difference.

Every Infinity has the AQ2M DAC chip.  The naked resistors and the AQ2M is what makes it an Infinity.  

Aug 13, 2015 at 1:23 PM Post #8,854 of 13,800
I found this and it is a steal at that price!! Although I would check with LH Labs regarding warranty of an unused product bought as a gift as this listing claims to be. http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=321825777567&globalID=EBAY-US

The Pulse Fi has a femto clock and upgrades for passive and active components in the analog stage. It still uses one DAC chip like the standard Pulse. In general, the femto clock is considered to be a noticeable upgrade over the standard clock in the Pulse.

Bro, what is the actual price of this unit? I am unable to find the specs and description.

Aug 13, 2015 at 2:15 PM Post #8,855 of 13,800
GO450 does not have any volume control at all once new firmware is ON. Buttons are for TCM/FRM filters.
Maybe you are confusing latest driver instead of firmware

Neither I nor doctorjazz referred to using the physical buttons for volume control.

No, the physical volume controls are long gone on mine.
I think it works as designed, so maybe "defective" is the wrong word (redesigned is more accurate, they intended for it to have volume controls, the fix was a kludge), but I'd say only being able to adjust the volume with the LH Labs app slider, and that slight jiggles (like changing headphones) often causes a momentary disconnect, which causes the volume to default to maximum and blow your ears out, and maybe your headphones if you don't notice, is a poor design (and I love my Geek Out Special Edition).

Aug 13, 2015 at 2:53 PM Post #8,856 of 13,800
Bro, what is the actual price of this unit? I am unable to find the specs and description.

The Pulse Fi DAC is a campaign only configuration done to please the campaign backers who wanted such features. A way to accomodate as much as backers could afford. In the end they decided that for retail they would keep the Pulse, PulseX, and Pulse Xfi. All other variants including the Pulse Fi, Pulse Sfi and Pulse Infinity will not be sold in retail once LHLabs goes into full retail production.

Aug 13, 2015 at 3:27 PM Post #8,857 of 13,800
I think it works as designed, so maybe "defective" is the wrong word (redesigned is more accurate, they intended for it to have volume controls, the fix was a kludge), but I'd say only being able to adjust the volume with the LH Labs app slider, and that slight jiggles (like changing headphones) often causes a momentary disconnect, which causes the volume to default to maximum and blow your ears out, and maybe your headphones if you don't notice, is a poor design (and I love my Geek Out Special Edition).

Ditto. The exact same problems experienced on my GO450. Can only adjust (can't use the word control here because it's too confusing to some) volume in the LH Labs control panel and any disconnects cause max volume reset.

Aug 13, 2015 at 4:12 PM Post #8,859 of 13,800

Ah!  I seem to remember Mike had a connection stability issue which got fixed by adding a usb port pci card or something of the sort to his computer. Now, my GO450 had never had an issue. My laptop always remembers which volume level I let set it at as soon as I connect it, and plugin/chaging headphones never caused an issue of volume resetting. Whatever volume issues I had were gone as soon as I changed the firmware on the GO. Before, whatever change you made, would make it reset volume to 100%. 

So perhaps there might be something wrong with the unit. 

Aug 13, 2015 at 4:13 PM Post #8,860 of 13,800
Is the original warranty transferable to new owners if I buy pre owned units?

As far as I know, no.  They are not transferable. You might want to confirm directly with LH Labs though. Perhaps you could arrange warranty issues with the original owner, assuming he/she's willing to help you out with that

Aug 13, 2015 at 5:49 PM Post #8,861 of 13,800
I'm pretty sure there are no transferrable warranties...in fact, at one point, you could purchase one as a "perk", since it wasn't included with the regular "support" of a model. (quotations there because the word "purchase" doesn't quite fit the LH labs campaigns. If I recall correctly the offer of a transferrable warranty "perk" caused a bit of controversy (can you imagine? With LH Labs? :D ), and it got dropped fairly quickly.

As far as the volume, I wish I didn't have that issue...I also seem to have issues with PC volume since using the GO, can listen to internet music or web sites ONLY through the GEEK OUT, won't connect to the speakers. And, that darned volume spiking, remembering MOST of the time to only put the headphones on my neck when I start to be sure of the volume, then, if the coast is clear, on ears or reset the volume so I can listen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back