Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Aug 14, 2015 at 9:18 PM Post #8,881 of 13,800

@krikor Had my Anker battery pack tested by my multimeter. Its says 12.05V@ 10% capacity and 12.04V@100% capacity.
It has a smart i/o circuit that sense and outputs the required/exact amperage (1500mA max and 50mA min).

That's good to hear (sic)! My DIY LiFePO4 battery is unregulated and so puts out over 13v at full capacity. No problem for my music server which can handle from 12 to 18v, but not good for the Geek Pulse.

I'm going to have to take a look at that Anker.

Aug 14, 2015 at 9:19 PM Post #8,882 of 13,800
Not the route I'm going but those were really nice when I had them a while back. I am hoping these will be better and I am fairly confident they will. HD800's might not be the best pair for the Pulse though. I think its too close, the HD800's always sounded best with tube and lots of them. I actually has a HD800 with Pure Silver cables and a Lyr that combo was sweet. Oh and the MHDT Paradisea 3 as the DAC. Such a nice combo

Thanks! Yes, i've read many things about the hd800 being very bright and fatiguing if paired with the wring equipment. But what draws me to them are the very good reviews of which there are many, its reference status and the fact that we know Larry Ho uses them regularly and has done so during the R&D for Geekout and Pulse... But lately there has been so much buzz with planar magnetics, even at LH Labs, they seem to be loving the HiFi-Mans and Audezes... I've been also very interested in HE-1000 but at $3K!! Sorry. I expect at some point HiFi-Man will come out with a new model between the HE-1000 and the HE-560. Something to substitute the HE-6, in that price range right against the HD-800. In any case, the Pulse should be able to drive them nicely! I am also liking HiFi-Man's move towards higher efficiency!

Are you moving in that direction too? What are those special cans to match with your Infinity?

Aug 14, 2015 at 9:26 PM Post #8,883 of 13,800
Thanks! Yes, i've read many things about the hd800 being very bright and fatiguing if paired with the wring equipment. But what draws me to them are the very good reviews of which there are many, its reference status and the fact that we know Larry Ho uses them regularly and has done so during the R&D for Geekout and Pulse... But lately there has been so much buzz with planar magnetics, even at LH Labs, they seem to be loving the HiFi-Mans and Audezes... I've been also very interested in HE-1000 but at $3K!! Sorry. I expect at some point HiFi-Man will come out with a new model between the HE-1000 and the HE-560. Something to substitute the HE-6, in that price range right against the HD-800. In any case, the Pulse should be able to drive them nicely! I am also liking HiFi-Man's move towards higher efficiency!

Are you moving in that direction too? What are those special cans to match with your Infinity?

Well its not too much of a secret. Just havent decided on all the mods. I have those CD850's to use as a donor pair to fix up a pair of CD3000's headband thats coming in the mail Monday. I plan to have at least the headbands swapped and an upgraded cable put in and modify the cups to each have a cable go into them which will help them out a lot I am told. I am also going to have them balanced, so I can give them as much juice as they want. 

In case you dont know, the CD3k's are the younger sibling of the Sony R10's. Many feel with some mods, like what I mentioned, you can get very close to the R10 sound without the R10 price. 

Aug 15, 2015 at 2:09 AM Post #8,884 of 13,800
I received my Geek Pulse Xfi on May 1st and have been evaluating it since comparing to a Audio Note 2.1 DAC and a Lynx Hilo. The headphones were mainly Hifiman HE-6 through an Audio Note HE-6 amp and Stax 007 through a BHSE. First off my buying experience during the kickstarter campaign was a little frustrating. It seemed every month there was a new feature that was offered that appeared to offer a good value but after a while I decided enough was enough and stopped buying any more features. Once the design was final LHLabs informed me I had to buy the Femto clock upgrade because they weren't going to make any without the upgrade. Reluctantly I agreed to the Femto clock  and that is what I finally received.

The build quality was OK. I didn't like the feel of the volume control and because I often switch digital inputs I questioned whether it would stand up to repeated use. I was going to look into using the Apple remote to avoid using the knob.

The sound was very good. I like most Sabre DAC's I've heard and the Pulse was no exception. After spending way too much time switching between the 3 DAC's I decided the Audio Note offered more of what I like in a DAC and decided to keep that as my primary DAC and the Lynx Hilo as a non-tube alternative.

I ended up selling the Geek Pulse for pretty much what I paid for it with all the upgrades. I question the listed retail price of $2399.00 and wonder how many would really pay that much.

Just thought I'd offer up my experience with the Geek Pulse.

Aug 15, 2015 at 2:15 AM Post #8,885 of 13,800
  I lost it to you, I was driving that time and couldn't keep up with the bidding process :frowning2: I am such a fool haha.. Goodluck!

Time to get some sort of sniping tool... like eSnipe.  Started using it and it has made my ebay purchases much more pleasant.  Put in your highest bid and it will place it at 6 seconds.  Basically turn it into a dutch auction and take the emotion out of the process.  (And ideally don't drive the price up any higher than it needs to be.)

Aug 15, 2015 at 3:46 AM Post #8,887 of 13,800
  Pulse X Infinity owners, do you feel a subtle lack of bass?

Not at all! What headphones are you using?  Are you outputting to speakers or headphones? I have only used the USB feature with a pair of Shure !840's and a pair of AudtioQuest Nighthawks. Best bass so far for me...deep and tight...no boominess or atrocious mid-bass bumps.

Leo

Aug 15, 2015 at 4:46 AM Post #8,888 of 13,800
Not at all! What headphones are you using?  Are you outputting to speakers or headphones? I have only used the USB feature with a pair of Shure !840's and a pair of AudtioQuest Nighthawks. Best bass so far for me...deep and tight...no boominess or atrocious mid-bass bumps.

Leo

Agree - no bass issues at all with the Infinity using either my LCD-3's or K-10's.

Aug 15, 2015 at 9:49 AM Post #8,889 of 13,800

Users who are viewing this thread

Back