Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Aug 11, 2015 at 7:44 PM Post #8,807 of 13,800
  I will leave this here for comments:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/743990/new-m8-dac-from-smsl-9018-xmos/180#post_11829732

This brings up a lot of questions!

Like, what questions? The M8 might be a fine sounding DAC all on its own, sure. Aside from the guy's post saying his Pulse was faulty the information is based on what he hears. If it's good for him, great. The only way to really know is to compare them yourself side-by-side. And yes, I know that's not easy to do for any of us. Anyone out there can compare the M8 with the Pulse?

Aug 11, 2015 at 7:47 PM Post #8,809 of 13,800
That's not the CEntrance M8, I assume...I can make comparisons there, but I don't think that's what you're asking about (the link has very little information).

Aug 11, 2015 at 7:48 PM Post #8,810 of 13,800
@Lord Raven,

Help me understand your comments:

"Is this applicable to all Geek stuff? Or just the GeekOut tiny USB stuff? Thanks for your suggestion and clarification bro, I don't think I will get a USB DAC, I might raise my budget but will not get a USB DAC. This is some kind of OCD issue haha I work from home and I can accommodate a nice DAC at my side table, USB DACs are for office going guys :p"

Not sure why you have the impresssion, if I'm understanding your words correctly, that USB DACs aren't nice or are just for office guys.  If you were joking then no harm, no foul but USB DACs come in all shapes, sizes, implementations and cost, even up to six figures.  You might want to do some more reading in this and other forums regarding DAC implmentations and what constitutes quality.

Aug 11, 2015 at 7:57 PM Post #8,811 of 13,800
Like, what questions? The M8 might be a fine sounding DAC all on its own, sure. Aside from the guy's post saying his Pulse was faulty the information is based on what he hears. If it's good for him, great. The only way to really know is to compare them yourself side-by-side. And yes, I know that's not easy to do for any of us. Anyone out there can compare the M8 with the Pulse?

I was about to ask the same thing, please compare these two. The thread reference is in the link, SMSL M8, not the Centernce M8.

Aug 11, 2015 at 8:03 PM Post #8,813 of 13,800
@Lord Raven,

Help me understand your comments:

"Is this applicable to all Geek stuff? Or just the GeekOut tiny USB stuff? Thanks for your suggestion and clarification bro, I don't think I will get a USB DAC, I might raise my budget but will not get a USB DAC. This is some kind of OCD issue haha I work from home and I can accommodate a nice DAC at my side table, USB DACs are for office going guys :p"

Not sure why you have the impresssion, if I'm understanding your words correctly, that USB DACs aren't nice or are just for office guys.  If you were joking then no harm, no foul but USB DACs come in all shapes, sizes, implementations and cost, even up to six figures.  You might want to do some more reading in this and other forums regarding DAC implmentations and what constitutes quality.

I referred to the USB DACs that are tiny, without external PSUs, dual mono stuff and femto clocks. I know I need to read a lot, that's what I'm doing. I saw a thread, battle of flagship headphones, is there something like that in DAC world? Saw the DeltaSigma DAC thread but I can't make sense out of it.

Aug 11, 2015 at 8:03 PM Post #8,814 of 13,800
Didn't think so...I have posted my opinion on my 2 units in the past...the Geek Out Special Edition (which is essentially the GO 1k with a femto clock) just sounds SO much better than the CEntrance. I'd assume the same holds true for the upper model Pulses with the femto. Have the basic GO 1k, but never got around to comparing it (because I never disconnect the GO SE).

Aug 11, 2015 at 8:29 PM Post #8,815 of 13,800
The guy says his geek was faulty out of the box, I think he's a Chinese guy, can't understand much from his post. It's SMSL M8.

So what are you exactly?  It seems to me that you lack some fundamental skills related to explaining what it actually is that you're looking for... You want to discuss with people, fine, but it seems to me at least that don't really want to do much research to learn more, but you just want the quick answers although you don't hesitate to bring up anonymous pm's and  a random quote from a different thread.

Anyhow, your post that I took the liberty to quote, may actually seem offensive to some!

Aug 11, 2015 at 8:33 PM Post #8,817 of 13,800
I referred to the USB DACs that are tiny, without external PSUs, dual mono stuff and femto clocks. I know I need to read a lot, that's what I'm doing. I saw a thread, battle of flagship headphones, is there something like that in DAC world? Saw the DeltaSigma DAC thread but I can't make sense out of it.

In general DAC chips are a very mature technology. The difference lies in the implementation. Nothing is night and day. It's more the different nuances that are more apparent on one product vs the other and even then, you have to pay attention.

What is your DAC budget? A femto clock, dual mono DAC is not a necessity to achieve great sound quality. There are tons of award winning DACs that don't use femto clocks, nor are dual mono and are still very well regarded. Case in point the Matrix X-Sabre or the yulong da8 to name dacs in the $1000 range

Aug 11, 2015 at 8:41 PM Post #8,818 of 13,800

So what are you exactly?  It seems to me that you lack some fundamental skills related to explaining what it actually is that you're looking for... You want to discuss with people, fine, but it seems to me at least that don't really want to do much research to learn more, but you just want the quick answers although you don't hesitate to bring up anonymous pm's and  a random quote from a different thread.

Anyhow, your post that I took the liberty to quote, may actually seem offensive to some!

Ah, I was not sure this quote might offend some owners. My apologies! What offends me is that, a Geek came out faulty out of the box, as per my understanding of the post.

I am looking for a DAC that is best value, you missed my earlier posts I guess. If HD600 can come up to the Sennheiser Orpheus level in best value, why can't we have a DAC that can compare to the top shelf DACs?

Aug 11, 2015 at 8:45 PM Post #8,819 of 13,800

A good place to start is Wikipedia.  It covers, in summary, what they do, how they do it and the different types.  There's a lot of science behind it so be prepared as it may not make sense.  My best advice is to listen to them in your system and don't discount those small DACs like the Geek Out.  It outperforms many larger, more expensive, DACs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital-to-analog_converter

Aug 11, 2015 at 8:57 PM Post #8,820 of 13,800

A good place to start is Wikipedia.  It covers, in summary, what they do, how they do it and the different types.  There's a lot of science behind it so be prepared as it may not make sense.  My best advice is to listen to them in your system and don't discount those small DACs like the Geek Out.  It outperforms many larger, more expensive, DACs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital-to-analog_converter

Thanks Germay, you should see my profile, I have the basic knowledge. I will still read about the recently discovered, Wolfson and Sabre DAC chips, I have just listened to the Bur Brown all my life.

I'll wait for Kenman to respond, it's bed time here. Goodnight!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back