Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Jun 27, 2015 at 2:18 PM Post #8,221 of 13,800
Posted some impressions of the Regen vs the Wyrd on the LH Labs forum (links below). It was tested with my old iBasso D7 as i haven't received the Infinity (new chassis) yet:

http://lhlabs.com/force/geekout/1490-geekout-signature-edition-chord-hugo-idsd-micro?start=150#67661
http://lhlabs.com/force/geekout/1490-geekout-signature-edition-chord-hugo-idsd-micro?start=150#67666

Received the Uptone Audio Regen (Amber) today morning. Have been running it with the LPS for the last 4 hours. Posted some quick comparisons with the Schiit Wyrd below.

First impressions - Regen vs Wyrd

1) Treble detail and extension: Initially seemed too close to call. However after listening to some Linkin' Park and Infected Mushroom songs, it's pretty clear that the Regen has cleaner and better treble extension while the Wyrd seems to be a little bit smeared and rolled in the upper treble region.

2) Midrange: Vocals sound more natural, clearer with better imaging compared to the Wyrd. The Wyrd's midrange did seem a little more forward compared to the Regen. I would say that the Regen gets the midrange spot on.

3) Bass: In terms of bass quantity they seem to be the same. Bass through the Regen hits harder and cleaner, is better textured and defined giving the impression that it has better bass extension than the Wyrd.

4) Soundstage: The Regen again has a bigger and wider soundstage than the Wyrd. There also seems to be more depth. Truly holographic sound.

5) Imaging: This is where Regen really beats the Wyrd. It's pinpoint imaging combined with an utterly black background means that each instrument is seemingly suspended in utterly pitch black space and it's location can be precisely located and identified. Awesome!!

6) Tonality: The Regen is transparent and balanced. The Wyrd sounds a bit warmer with a roll of in the upper treble region.

I thought i would be writing more in-depth impressions next week. I don't see the need anymore as the Regen quite handily beats the Wyrd. It's not a night and day difference. It's just that through my LS50's there's a jump factor with the Regen in the chain which is missing with the Wyrd.

Summary:

The Regen presents a transparent, holographic, pitch black, clear and balanced soundstage with excellent imaging. All of this without any harshness (unless it's there in the recording). It's just excellent value for what it does. The sound is rich and full.

Edit:

Have to say that that my initial impression of the bass performance was partially wrong. After listening to the "The Fire Rises" and "The End" from the "The Dark Knight Rises" soundtrack, the bass seems more muscular and unfettered with much better textural resolution.

Jun 27, 2015 at 3:53 PM Post #8,222 of 13,800
Just received a shipping notice for:
Item #DescriptionQty
LH-GP-GPX-XFI-001Geek Pulse DAC X-FI1

As per my survey, I'm expecting an Infinity in the new chassis. This must be an old chassis. Is this the item number for the Infinity or the Pulse XFI? A photo of someone else's receipt showed the Infinity as Item # LH-GP-GPX-INF-001,

Is it time to open a ticket?

Jun 27, 2015 at 4:28 PM Post #8,223 of 13,800
Just received a shipping notice for:
LH-GP-GPX-XFI-001Geek Pulse DAC X-FI1
Item # Description Qty

As per my survey, I'm expecting an Infinity in the new chassis. This must be an old chassis. Is this the item number for the Infinity or the Pulse XFI? A photo of someone else's receipt showed the Infinity as Item # LH-GP-GPX-INF-001,

Is it time to open a ticket?

Sounds like ticket time!

Jun 27, 2015 at 5:31 PM Post #8,224 of 13,800
Regen, huh? Been using my GO Special Edition plugged into a Vaunix hub. Sounds like this might improve things further. Hmmm...also waiting on a Wave And a Vi, seems a relatively inexpensive way to upgrade the sound.

Jun 27, 2015 at 6:00 PM Post #8,225 of 13,800
Regen, huh? Been using my GO Special Edition plugged into a Vaunix hub. Sounds like this might improve things further. Hmmm...also waiting on a Wave And a Vi, seems a relatively inexpensive way to upgrade the sound.

Yeah, I jumped on the Regen train as well. Low $ (relatively) and fairly risk free due to the popularity of the Regen and the limited production. And after Geek I'm well trained at waiting. Cheers

Jun 27, 2015 at 8:18 PM Post #8,226 of 13,800
Sometimes I have to wonder what USB reclockers do to a signal. To me at least, it sounds like double-amping: you're adding something else in the chain that might degrade the signal. And then if you believe in cables, you have to add another cable to the USB reclocker.

Jun 28, 2015 at 12:10 AM Post #8,227 of 13,800
Well, went in for much more from LH Labs with no feedback (as the products didn't exist), took a chance on $183.55 with many raves! Also, like LH Labs, will have to wait, but the mid August predicted delivery time still KILLS waits on all the LH gear I've gone for. I'll report in again.

Jun 28, 2015 at 12:18 PM Post #8,228 of 13,800
Anyone with December 2013 order dates actually receive an Xfi yet? I keep opening a ticket checking status about ever month or so, and I swear I have only moved up 30 places in line this year (I was about #230) and even then whoever closed ,y ticket said it was because other people changed or cancelled their orders. Are Xfi units just not shipping at all?
I know we can't cancel our orders, but has anyone been able to return an order for a full refund after it was received?

Jun 28, 2015 at 1:25 PM Post #8,229 of 13,800
Anyone with December 2013 order dates actually receive an Xfi yet? I keep opening a ticket checking status about ever month or so, and I swear I have only moved up 30 places in line this year (I was about #230) and even then whoever closed ,y ticket said it was because other people changed or cancelled their orders. Are Xfi units just not shipping at all?
I know we can't cancel our orders, but has anyone been able to return an order for a full refund after it was received?

I just received a shipping notice for an Xfi, and I had a December 2013 order date.

Jun 28, 2015 at 8:24 PM Post #8,230 of 13,800

I just received my Xfi last week. I also originally ordered in December 2013.

Jun 29, 2015 at 12:04 AM Post #8,235 of 13,800
Its a kit valve amp.

Here: http://bottlehead.com/s-e-x-2-1-specs/

I,m running the XFI  as a DAC and feeding the SEX.

Using STAX, MDR-F1, Maddog 3.2 and JH16 earphones/headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back