Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Feb 28, 2015 at 2:54 PM Post #6,001 of 13,800

You're only about 90 minutes from their offices. So I doubt shipping would be too terrible should you choose to upgrade. But if you're liking the Xfi there's nothing wrong with that. The early version I heard was very nice.

Yeah, I think I'm liking it as is -- this is more than sufficient for my needs.

Have you tried listening to the Soloist using the Xfi's line out?
I'm very much interested in impressions on the DAC part of the Pulse alone since that's what I'll be using (and I also have a Soloist :))

I did a quick test last night and another right now.  Works and sounds good, but I don't have time for a more in-depth opinion at the moment (I strive to be a good dad).

Also caveat to all -- I try to keep from giving too strong of opinions since I realize so much of this is highly subjective.  That said, my impressions so far are favorable.

Feb 28, 2015 at 4:45 PM Post #6,003 of 13,800
It started to annoy me how LH Labs started adapting Ubisoft's strategy of "DLCs". Ubisoft makes games, sells them for the retail price, then charge you more if you want to complete it by selling you the DLCs.
LH Labs started doing the exact same things, upgrades after upgrades after upgrades. I know that I can just not buy the upgrade, but it feels like I am getting an inferior unit which sucks. Why not just make a complete product and not be greedy?

Feb 28, 2015 at 5:00 PM Post #6,004 of 13,800
yes, the line outs will feed an amp if so desired

Feb 28, 2015 at 5:00 PM Post #6,005 of 13,800
  It started to annoy me how LH Labs started adapting Ubisoft's strategy of "DLCs". Ubisoft makes games, sells them for the retail price, then charge you more if you want to complete it by selling you the DLCs.
LH Labs started doing the exact same things, upgrades after upgrades after upgrades. I know that I can just not buy the upgrade, but it feels like I am getting an inferior unit which sucks. Why not just make a complete product and not be greedy?

Another annoying thing is using the same page for different products and DELETING the details of previous perks. What ... the ...

It makes it so hard to track what is actually being offered (eg, the wave reboot perks and the current waves).  It's almost as if they want you to forget what features were being offered ...

Feb 28, 2015 at 5:04 PM Post #6,006 of 13,800
Because audiophile backers are always chasing that elusive extra percent(age) performance gain and are lulled into buying perks by persuasive marketing speal and the promise of enhanced fidelity. LH Labs are masters of milking the proverbial backer cash cow, and invariably ramp up the cost of purchasing an initially inexpensive product by offering seemingly indispensable 'perks' to elevate the performance of your item to astonishing levels of fidelity.

If LH Labs deliver the goods (early indications are promising) then I applaud Gavin's commercial and marketing acumen, as the blueprint that they've created is an exemplary example of obtaining funds from public backers and not venture capitalists.

Feb 28, 2015 at 6:07 PM Post #6,007 of 13,800

Just don't get the update then. Why should the normal Pulse Xfi be inferior?
It's still going to be very good and really, some naked resistors and you think, that the sound changes by a huge margin?...

That's way beyond the world of dimishing returns. I wasn't swayed by the THD perk, NR perk, Infinity, new chip etc... that's just too much snake oil for me :wink:

Feb 28, 2015 at 7:10 PM Post #6,008 of 13,800
Anybody noticed the wood finish on top of the 3D render? 
biggrin.gif

Feb 28, 2015 at 7:44 PM Post #6,009 of 13,800
Lol now that the infinity upgrade perk is up, and to my knowledge some if not all of the xfi is shipping...

I don't see the evidence many, let alone most or all, Xfis are shipping. "A few" might be the best descriptor at this point.

Don't mean to emphasize my situation, but as a yardstick if they haven't got to my order placed 12 minutes into the first night of the first campaign there's likely high 9x% to yet ship. :xf_eek:

Feb 28, 2015 at 8:35 PM Post #6,012 of 13,800
Is this for real?

From the original render, yes. The top of the Infinity case looks to have a wood material on it. No one knows if it's finalised though.
It's a very dark-coloured wood, so I didn't even see it until I turned my display brightness on maximum.
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/geek-audio-a-crowdsourced-high-rez-sound-system#activity

Feb 28, 2015 at 8:56 PM Post #6,014 of 13,800

It is. Here is the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gkHwQE8uYk

It mainly deals with the HPA, but he discusses gain & volume on the Pulse starting around 10:20.

Jody

Jody, now that you guys have shipped a few Xfi units out of the door, are you aware of when you will update the tracking page or somehow assure Infinity backers that you won't mistakenly ship out an Xfi unit?

I have refrained from opening a ticket as this was discouraged from LH a little while ago but the tracking page still has not updated for me (and others).

Thanks.

Feb 28, 2015 at 9:29 PM Post #6,015 of 13,800
I have such a crappy old TN panel, I still can barely see it in the original redered image. Great catch eliwankenobi

Thanks, i wasn't very sure until I opened the picture in Picasa and bumped the brightness of the image and it was clearly visible. It's probably not going to be in the final case.....

Or is it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back