Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Feb 28, 2015 at 5:36 AM Post #5,986 of 13,800
Lol now that the infinity upgrade perk is up, and to my knowledge some if not all of the xfi is shipping what if those who already received them wanna get the upgrade lol. were they noticed prior?
And if its not going into retail, why is there still a perk to get the X Infinity (albeit for a nice 3599) ? Some good looking chasis we got there btw.

Feb 28, 2015 at 10:38 AM Post #5,987 of 13,800
I'm well chuffed that I'm getting the new chassis on my Infinity. It's certainly an improvement on the old one. My only concern is that the forums will become frantic again with backers wanting to change features on it. The last thing I want is to have all the boards finished, and sitting there waiting for the chassis to be tweaked yet again.

Thanks folks for the first reviews of the Xfi. I'm getting all excited now!

Feb 28, 2015 at 10:41 AM Post #5,988 of 13,800
The XFi is pretty solid.

I'm starting to really be excited that the infinity > upgraded HPA will be my bedside rig with the UERM. Only special gear gets to croon me to sleep.

Feb 28, 2015 at 12:39 PM Post #5,992 of 13,800
Based on the information available I think you can fit the LPS under the Infinity/SE enclosure, but it will be sideways and at that point it will be "narrower" than the Pulse. The LPS is 9" deep and the new Pulse is 9.5" wide. I may have to hide my LPS behind the Pulse/HPA combo. The LPS is also 6.76" wide so it will be a bit shallower than the 7" Pulse when sideways.

Next-Gen-Pulse-Assem-Glass.jpg

Feb 28, 2015 at 1:04 PM Post #5,993 of 13,800
The XFi is pretty solid.

Yeah, I'm thinking so ... especially at the price I paid for 'em (I got in early on it all). 

The Burson Soloist still has a very welcome place in my house -- especially since it has three analog inputs and I have it connected to a Roku and a BluRay/SACD player... but the Pulse Xfi is going to take over my computer listening at least for now.

Quote:
Only special gear gets to croon me to sleep.

Aww, isn't that sweet...

Feb 28, 2015 at 1:22 PM Post #5,994 of 13,800
@uzi

What volume are you listening at with the Pulse set on high gain? Did you happen to see the video where Larry describes the optimal way to set gain/volume?

Jody 

Feb 28, 2015 at 1:27 PM Post #5,995 of 13,800

What volume are you listening at with the Pulse set on high gain? Did you happen to see the video where Larry describes the optimal way to set gain/volume?

It's parked at high gain for the headphones I'm using (HE-500 via XLR), and I'm listening at whatever the music asks for -- generally in the -20db to -35db range.

I haven't seen Larry's video... have a link handy?  Is that the -3dB thing I saw someone mention?

Feb 28, 2015 at 1:36 PM Post #5,997 of 13,800

It's parked at high gain for the headphones I'm using (HE-500 via XLR), and I'm listening at whatever the music asks for -- generally in the -20db to -35db range.

I haven't seen Larry's video... have a link handy?  Is that the -3dB thing I saw someone mention?

It is. Here is the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gkHwQE8uYk

It mainly deals with the HPA, but he discusses gain & volume on the Pulse starting around 10:20.

Jody

Feb 28, 2015 at 1:51 PM Post #5,998 of 13,800
While I loke the new chassis, I can't justify giving LHLabs any more money for the infinity upgrade at this point. I am sure for me the Xfi will be plenty fine.

Well, they shipped out my two units before I could decide -- but I'm fine where things are at with the Xfi.  I'm feel I'm at a good place to get off the train.  I've got a Xfi+LPS for home and an Xfi for work... done.

It is. Here is the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gkHwQE8uYk

It mainly deals with the HPA, but he discusses gain & volume on the Pulse starting around 10:20.

Interesting... thanks for that -- I've switched to Low gain and I'm listening to Rage Against the Machine at -15dB at the moment (still pretty loud -- Dave Brubeck before that was at -12dB -- there's no method to my madness).

Feb 28, 2015 at 1:55 PM Post #5,999 of 13,800

Well, they shipped out my two units before I could decide -- but I'm fine where things are at with the Xfi.  I'm feel I'm at a good place to get off the train.  I've got a Xfi+LPS for home and an Xfi for work... done.

You're only about 90 minutes from their offices. So I doubt shipping would be too terrible should you choose to upgrade. But if you're liking the Xfi there's nothing wrong with that. The early version I heard was very nice.

Feb 28, 2015 at 2:43 PM Post #6,000 of 13,800

The Burson Soloist still has a very welcome place in my house -- especially since it has three analog inputs and I have it connected to a Roku and a BluRay/SACD player... but the Pulse Xfi is going to take over my computer listening at least for now.

Have you tried listening to the Soloist using the Xfi's line out?
I'm very much interested in impressions on the DAC part of the Pulse alone since that's what I'll be using (and I also have a Soloist :))

Users who are viewing this thread

Back