Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Feb 12, 2015 at 11:21 PM Post #5,491 of 13,800
My reply to your questions:
  • The design and finish is not final.
  • The manufacturing process of the chassis is not final. It could be machined, it could be cast, then machined. Kayla spends hours on this every week. Our listening room floor is littered with prototypes now.
  • Vent holes are an element that Kayla never liked. She put them in there for air flow. We have three other ways to cool the chassis, so we're still exploring our options. Even with this design, function still trumps form.
  • We've never spray painted a single prototype. We've polished, we've anodized, we've bead blasted, we've chemically etched. There is another thread in which Kayla is discussing finishes with the Force.
  • There will be a balanced headphone output in Vi. No, there's won't be a single-ended output. It'll be on the back. We've discussed it ad nauseum here in the forum.
  • There will be a 64 step digital volume control, just like on Pulse. We're still considering the interface. Right now we're leaning toward remote volume control only.
  • We're still considering the output capacitor upgrade. It'll likely be added.
  • Your version of our interaction during the development of Pulse, especially in regards to aesthetics isn't accurate.

Quoting from Gavin from LHL regarding Vi DAC
It doesn't belong to this thread but I guess many Pulse backers are considering upgrade so...

Feb 12, 2015 at 11:26 PM Post #5,492 of 13,800
Yep, as Gavin replied :

"Larry told me today that it would be balanced only. Maybe I'm wrong. I'll ask Tami to confirm that with him tomorrow and post the response."

Feb 12, 2015 at 11:58 PM Post #5,494 of 13,800
[*] There will be a balanced headphone output in Vi. No, there's won't be a single-ended output. It'll be on the back. We've discussed it ad nauseum here in the forum.

Umm... Discussed like this? http://lhlabs.com/force/geeksoul/2558-geek-soul-vi-dac-headphone-output#44141

Larry: geek soul will still has both balanced and single ended HP output. Don't worry.

http://www.lhlabs.com/force/vi-dac/3345-preview-vi-dac-s-indiegogo-campaign-before-it-launches?start=25#53766

Gavin: Indeed. I'll update the chart.

Feb 13, 2015 at 12:45 AM Post #5,498 of 13,800
Y'know, as you said, at the point we are now spending, if you went up the upgrade paths, could have gotten something from Ayre, Conrad Johnson, you name it, not had aggravation, HAVE BEEN ABLE TO AUDITION IT AND SEE IT! And go home with it. Maybe this will blow away the competition at similar prices (I'm talking the crowd funding prices...when we get to retail, competition is even fiercer). I suspect many started out in this just looking at an relatively inexpensive desktop DA/Amp, maybe a not too expensive DAP, then started falling into the perk rabbit hole. Personally, seems to me that, while extending the warantee and making it transferable is desirable, the cost is not just a few bucks, and I'm not sure throwing another $100+ (for each item, if you are in for more than one) is such a great deal. And, while I know that you "invest" in a product that doesn't exist and can expect some bumps along the road, it seems nothing at this point even remotely resembles what we started out backing. (transferable warantee does make sense for those who say they are going to sell as soon as they get their units, this may be the crowd this perk is really for...)

Feb 13, 2015 at 1:51 AM Post #5,500 of 13,800
I think I am having more fun reading this thread than actually participating in it. Guys keep the good work, it's truly entertaining! :D

:ph34r:

Oh also please :deadhorse: :atsmile:

One more thing @FayeForever love your Avatar.

Feb 13, 2015 at 2:57 AM Post #5,501 of 13,800
Sadly it seems like people keep beating that dead horse because they still haven't received their stuff and also are not happy.  This horse isn't dead.  It's still alive and kicking out new perks every couple of weeks.  

Feb 13, 2015 at 3:13 AM Post #5,502 of 13,800
What's next?

Change headphone output to front: $100 perk
Add single ended connecton: $200 perk
Get forever updated on new projects: $10(monthly reccuring subsciption perk)
Upgrade to stainless steel chassis: $500 perk
Don't buy into all these: FREE

Feb 13, 2015 at 3:27 AM Post #5,504 of 13,800
Well, kudos to Larry & Co for agreeing to provide the updated ESS chip to X Infinite backers if they want it. Definitely limiting damage in the face of a negative publicity schiitstorm there. The warranty extension perk is too rich for my blood but at least an option for those planning to sell their units right away.

I'll admit I was slightly tempted by the Vi upgrade, purely because the Pulse is a bit of an ugly duckling. However, lack of volume control on the chassis and headphone socket on the rear put it out of the running as far as I'm concerned. Now, the Pulse X Infinite in the new HPA chassis on the other hand... :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back