Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Jan 26, 2015 at 11:17 PM Post #4,787 of 13,800

Sorry to bring this up again, but a dock-workers' strike doesn't affect non-international delivery, only bulk goods delivered by ship. It wouldn't even affect international shipping through FedEx, USPS, UPS or similar, as those services don't use the docks. As well, according to the news services, the workers aren't striking, just deliberately slowing things down, as they have contract re-negotiation approaching. They aren't allowed to strike under contract. If I'm wrong, please link me to more info. 

Anyhow, it's Monday. I look forward to reading customer impressions this week. 
smile.gif

You are correct that it is not technically a strike. However my business has been affected first hand by the slow down and the dock workers started this last summer in anticipation of the contract negotiations. It's not unusual for containers to sit in the port yard for 4-6 weeks on the average when normal turnaround time, including customs clearance is 1-2 weeks once a container reaches it's U.S. destination. According to LHL they had ordered bulk containers out of Asia and those are being help up by the slowdown in ocean freight. Airfreight by UPS, FedEx, DHL is not affected but as you can imagine only adds significantly to the cost of the product, making it a non-option for most companies even if they could pull the product off ships. 

Jan 26, 2015 at 11:54 PM Post #4,788 of 13,800

Sorry to bring this up again, but a dock-workers' strike doesn't affect non-international delivery, only bulk goods delivered by ship. It wouldn't even affect international shipping through FedEx, USPS, UPS or similar, as those services don't use the docks. As well, according to the news services, the workers aren't striking, just deliberately slowing things down, as they have contract re-negotiation approaching. They aren't allowed to strike under contract. If I'm wrong, please link me to more info. 

Anyhow, it's Monday. I look forward to reading customer impressions this week. 
smile.gif

You are correct that it is not technically a strike. However my business has been affected first hand by the slow down and the dock workers started this last summer in anticipation of the contract negotiations. It's not unusual for containers to sit in the port yard for 4-6 weeks on the average when normal turnaround time, including customs clearance is 1-2 weeks once a container reaches it's U.S. destination. According to LHL they had ordered bulk containers out of Asia and those are being help up by the slowdown in ocean freight. Airfreight by UPS, FedEx, DHL is not affected but as you can imagine only adds significantly to the cost of the product, making it a non-option for most companies even if they could pull the product off ships. 

Thanks for that info.  Due to previous major issues with vendors promising and never delivering, I'm very wary of potential issues. Excuse my excessive caution if these issues turn out to be unfounded.

Jan 27, 2015 at 10:58 AM Post #4,789 of 13,800
Got my Jay's Audio LPS-25VA in yesterday, now I'm just waiting for my Pulse Xfi.

Impressions:

The build is amazing, it's quite heavy and the case aluminum seems very thick with big rubber feet under it. The display is now a blue, dimmer one instead of a green bright one on the earlier batches. It could even be less bright for me but I don't know how it compares to the Xfi yet. I'll might just add a resistor to the LCD in order to dim it if it doesn't match the Xfi.

I couldn't really test the LPS on anything except a homemade dual TA2024 boombox that normally runs on a 12V 7Ah battery. It sounded pretty good out of it and with less noise than when I use a generic 12V 3A switching power supply on it. Even better is that after two hours of playing the LPS didn't even get warm so it looks like it's pretty efficient!

That's all for now, for further impressions I'll sadly have to wait for a while. Here are some pictures I took though.

Jan 27, 2015 at 12:26 PM Post #4,792 of 13,800
Pretty cool looking, can't wait to get mine, though I'm not sure why I really needed it :xf_eek:
Still kicking around the idea of buying a Pulse of some flavor, they come up in the for sale section periodically (have a Wave Tube on order, but that is pretty much for the rack-"not the rack".-and I do much listening at my computer or other places. Using the Geek Out Special Edition there plugged into a Vaunix Lab Brick, pretty sweet sounding, but slightly underpowered for something like the HE-560 (listening to it now, pretty sweet sounding, but volume close to the max, and I believe it is working a bit more than it would like to).
I'm hesitant though, because my experience with LH and the ticket system has been not the best. I have never gotten the volume issue on the GO to work despite installing the upgraded firmware. The volume is only managed through the LH app slider, nothing else works. If the unit is disconnected then reconnected, it defaults to maximum volume, which was the original issue that brought about the firmware "upgrade", which has blown my ears out on occasion (not a problem using the HE-560, as it needs almost full volume anyway). The GO also has a tendency to "crash" Ponoplayer 20 or JRiver19, especially if I change headphones. A few things may happen: 1)JRiver won't play at all, have to reboot the computer 2)I get sound, but it sounds distorted, like the sound of an LP playing with a very dirty stylus (for those of you who know what that sounds like. It's the closest I can get to describing the sound. Maybe clipping?)
(I'm using Windows 7 Professional, JRiver19 or Ponoplayer20).
I also have an issue with the about to get crazy (if past experience is any guide) Wave campaign. I've been in on most of the crowdfunding offeres from the beginning, and the Wave had upgrade after upgrade in it's initial days, with a "Father's Day" special, many others, that I went for, including one to add a switch that gave the option of high or low (regular cans or iems) from the same unit, which I went for. When I check out the Indiegogo campaign as it now stands, I note that this option for 1 unit doesn't exist, rather the top of the line unit is offered for iem's or regular headphones separately. I also find that, when I add up my contributions, I spent about 50% more as an "early backer" than the current top model is sold for. Something is wrong with this picture.
The main issue is that, when I sent in a ticket about this, I did get a fairly quick reply initially, asking the usual questions (what OS, what player, etc). I answered these (replied to the email), heard nothing for 4-5 days, sent another with the info (getting a bit miffed), heard nothing, then yesterday, saw I had received an email from Gavin that, since I didn't reply, they consider my issue/ticket closed. This is not the first time this has happened with these guys, and it makes me wish, at times, I could cancel my whole current and future orders from them. This is no way to build a company, imo. And, I really do like these guys, the enthusiasm, love the sound of the Geek Out Special Edition, but customer service HAS to be there, especially if you are an on line vendor, where the customer can feel left out in the cold.
My $0.02

Jan 27, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #4,793 of 13,800
It depends how it gets it's power. I can ask Alvin if he can check with Jay's Audio but like I said, it's not super bright or anything so it probably wont be an issue for me next to the Pulse. My TE2024 boombox uses about 500-1200mA when playing at normal volumes (up to 3A when loud) and it didn't get warm then. I don't know how much current the Pulse draws though.

Jan 27, 2015 at 12:51 PM Post #4,794 of 13,800
I just wanted to mention that I got my shipping notification for the HE 560s yesterday... well it was an automated notification that a shipping label had been created.
The tracking number has still not been scanned as being picked up. It looks like they could not get the package out of their shipping area from the 10:45 AM time when the label was printed until now..

Oh well, at least I am seeing some progress.

Is anyone else any further along in the process... folks in the US that is??

Jan 27, 2015 at 1:27 PM Post #4,796 of 13,800
  Got my Jay's Audio LPS-25VA in yesterday, now I'm just waiting for my Pulse Xfi.

Impressions:

The build is amazing, it's quite heavy and the case aluminum seems very thick with big rubber feet under it. The display is now a blue, dimmer one instead of a green bright one on the earlier batches. It could even be less bright for me but I don't know how it compares to the Xfi yet. I'll might just add a resistor to the LCD in order to dim it if it doesn't match the Xfi.

I couldn't really test the LPS on anything except a homemade dual TA2024 boombox that normally runs on a 12V 7Ah battery. It sounded pretty good out of it and with less noise than when I use a generic 12V 3A switching power supply on it. Even better is that after two hours of playing the LPS didn't even get warm so it looks like it's pretty efficient!

That's all for now, for further impressions I'll sadly have to wait for a while. Here are some pictures I took though.

Nice pix.

I got my 2 units yesterday, as well. Nice and solid. Hooked one up to a Pulse and everything is good so far. The display is a little bright, but a very nice color of blue. The Pulse display is very dim in contrast. Fluctuates between 12.00 and 11.99 (or 12.00 and 12.01), so I can understand FF's OCD statement.

I couldn't tell an obvious difference in sound, but I do have a Teradak USB decrapifier hook-up, which has made an obvious improvement on most PCs I try it with. More A/B'ing might tell more.

Thanks again to Alvin. The packaging was solid, also.

Jan 27, 2015 at 1:51 PM Post #4,798 of 13,800
Pretty cool looking, can't wait to get mine, though I'm not sure why I really needed it
redface.gif

Still kicking around the idea of buying a Pulse of some flavor, they come up in the for sale section periodically (have a Wave Tube on order, but that is pretty much for the rack-"not the rack".-and I do much listening at my computer or other places. Using the Geek Out Special Edition there plugged into a Vaunix Lab Brick, pretty sweet sounding, but slightly underpowered for something like the HE-560 (listening to it now, pretty sweet sounding, but volume close to the max, and I believe it is working a bit more than it would like to).
I'm hesitant though, because my experience with LH and the ticket system has been not the best. I have never gotten the volume issue on the GO to work despite installing the upgraded firmware. The volume is only managed through the LH app slider, nothing else works. If the unit is disconnected then reconnected, it defaults to maximum volume, which was the original issue that brought about the firmware "upgrade", which has blown my ears out on occasion (not a problem using the HE-560, as it needs almost full volume anyway). The GO also has a tendency to "crash" Ponoplayer 20 or JRiver19, especially if I change headphones. A few things may happen: 1)JRiver won't play at all, have to reboot the computer 2)I get sound, but it sounds distorted, like the sound of an LP playing with a very dirty stylus (for those of you who know what that sounds like. It's the closest I can get to describing the sound. Maybe clipping?)
(I'm using Windows 7 Professional, JRiver19 or Ponoplayer20).
I also have an issue with the about to get crazy (if past experience is any guide) Wave campaign. I've been in on most of the crowdfunding offeres from the beginning, and the Wave had upgrade after upgrade in it's initial days, with a "Father's Day" special, many others, that I went for, including one to add a switch that gave the option of high or low (regular cans or iems) from the same unit, which I went for. When I check out the Indiegogo campaign as it now stands, I note that this option for 1 unit doesn't exist, rather the top of the line unit is offered for iem's or regular headphones separately. I also find that, when I add up my contributions, I spent about 50% more as an "early backer" than the current top model is sold for. Something is wrong with this picture.
The main issue is that, when I sent in a ticket about this, I did get a fairly quick reply initially, asking the usual questions (what OS, what player, etc). I answered these (replied to the email), heard nothing for 4-5 days, sent another with the info (getting a bit miffed), heard nothing, then yesterday, saw I had received an email from Gavin that, since I didn't reply, they consider my issue/ticket closed. This is not the first time this has happened with these guys, and it makes me wish, at times, I could cancel my whole current and future orders from them. This is no way to build a company, imo. And, I really do like these guys, the enthusiasm, love the sound of the Geek Out Special Edition, but customer service HAS to be there, especially if you are an on line vendor, where the customer can feel left out in the cold.
My $0.02

Wave Tube???  The Geek Wave (portable/mobile device) doesn't have a tube option.  Did you mean to say (Vi or Soul, Pulse)?

Jan 27, 2015 at 2:05 PM Post #4,800 of 13,800
I think my Jay's LPS is incoming today for my regular Pulse. I have LPS and LPS4s for my XFi units, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back