Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Jan 23, 2015 at 2:13 PM Post #4,727 of 13,800
I got my first 99 bill payment yessss LOL

I got one too, the only thing is that I am already paid off in full 
frown.gif

Jan 23, 2015 at 8:51 PM Post #4,728 of 13,800
So where are we at with this now? We have a few pictures of amps and power supplies ready to ship but they aren't being shipped because LHLabs don't have any boxes? 

Jan 23, 2015 at 10:36 PM Post #4,730 of 13,800
  So where are we at with this now? We have a few pictures of amps and power supplies ready to ship but they aren't being shipped because LHLabs don't have any boxes? 

According to an update they've made arrangements for packaging stateside and are going to start getting units out come Monday. The dock strike has really hurt a ton of businesses and LH is one of them. 

Jan 23, 2015 at 11:05 PM Post #4,731 of 13,800

According to an update they've made arrangements for packaging stateside and are going to start getting units out come Monday. The dock strike has really hurt a ton of businesses and LH is one of them. 

This might have been okay 6 months ago. But it seems every time they have a problem it's always someone else's fault. It's just poor planning.They're great at marketing but can't seem to follow through and get products finished and out the door.  

Jan 23, 2015 at 11:24 PM Post #4,732 of 13,800

This might have been okay 6 months ago. But it seems every time they have a problem it's always someone else's fault. It's just poor planning.They're great at marketing but can't seem to follow through and get products finished and out the door.  

I can totally understand and empathize you fell this way, labjr.

But, to be fair, I think it is a little better than that.  I have supported 3 of their products.  I have received 2.  (Received out and pulse vanilla, waiting for wave 32.)

My impression is that LH has awesome, world-class engineering and generates great products... but it has a marketing department 100X more ambitious than that. :)  

IMHO, it is really a pity.  Having marketing extract the last dollar from obsessive-compulsive audio folks (= us at head-fi and similar souls) by creating a 1000 options seems very short-sighted.  Delivering good stuff is hard... even with an awesome, world-class engineering. :)  1000 options slows things down and lacks scale.

Anyhow, it is the path they've chosen.  May the force be with them!!!  (And I still have the wave to receive. :)

Jan 24, 2015 at 12:09 AM Post #4,734 of 13,800

How is the dock strike their fault? What a ridiculous thing to blame LH Labs for. It has nothing to with planning and no one can forsee when it's going to end.

Jan 24, 2015 at 1:20 AM Post #4,735 of 13,800
Well I know me and others are pushing for the new ESS DAC on the Infinite model even if it'll delay shipping for a month or 2.
Larry did say it was possible.

Jan 24, 2015 at 2:17 AM Post #4,737 of 13,800
I don't mind delaying till they have a better looking chassis and display option...

Jan 24, 2015 at 3:31 AM Post #4,738 of 13,800
It is worth reminding ourselves every so often that we chose to save money by taking on risks in production/fulfillment schedule and ultimately delivery at all. I'm not concerned that they won't deliver since they have on previous projects, but we decided to pay money for a product that didn't exist and that we didn't get to hear or test, all for the chance to spend less than retail.

Some risks pay off, like reaching funding goals that result in upgrades or free cables. When I pledged for an original vanilla pulse, I had lower expectations for the product I would receive than the one they have put together subsequently. Some risks don't pay off, like the manufacturing timeline being delayed or shipping being affected by strikes.

But to accept only the positive risk payoffs and reject the negatives after willfully engaging in a risky transaction from the start rather than buying a more expensive product off the shelf seems intellectually dishonest. We are funding the development and creation of a product from the ground up and going along for the ride with all delays, mistakes, surprises, or disasters that result. 

That said, I'm really looking forward to getting my stuff and would appreciate clearer setting of expectations and communication. 

Jan 24, 2015 at 10:25 AM Post #4,740 of 13,800
Thank you Ebonyzer, that was beautifully stated. People are impatient and it is unfortunate that some become obnoxious and abusive when they don't get what they want when they want. I see this a lot recently in the LH Labs forum and more than enough here too.

I am a fairly patient person and have waited over a year for other products that I have heard about and wanted, so the wait for the Pulse is not a new thing except for the little detail of having already paid for it. This crowd funding thing and our involvement in the development process is different and quite interesting.

That said, my patience is wearing thin and I am torn between having the newest and possibly best DAC chip version and having my Pulse X∞ a month or two earlier. I am sure that either way my Pulse will be excellent and I do wonder if I could even hear the difference between the two DAC chips in a direct A/B comparison. I joined in the campaign Nov. 13 2013 so it has been quite a wait. I guess we will just have to see what LH Labs decides to do and I will be happy with the results either way.

J.P.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back