Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Dec 27, 2014 at 3:38 AM Post #3,901 of 13,800
no lps for me.  just xfi.  I can always get an LPS later from a third party but the femto and opamp upgrade is something I can't easily do myself

Dec 27, 2014 at 4:08 AM Post #3,902 of 13,800
Is everyone getting the LPS? It seems quite long and I wonder how much improvements can be heard. Also, I am torn btw X and Xfi......help please

Think about it this way, for an extra $218 you will get a feature (femto) that is only present in DACs thrice the price you paid for your Xfi. 
It all depends on how much value you would place on the femto and opamp upgrades.

Dec 27, 2014 at 4:09 AM Post #3,903 of 13,800
Is everyone getting the LPS? It seems quite long and I wonder how much improvements can be heard. Also, I am torn btw X and Xfi......help please

As previously mentioned you can go 3rd party. I personally didn't get the LPS. Yes, an external linear power helps.

X to Xfi...the current Moving On Up deal is good IMO. But as others implied, this might put you at the back of the line. I wish I had known about the Moving perk earlier and saved a lot of dough...the perks updates just keeps 'moving' . Ultimately it's your hard earned cash and time so I/we can't advise if you should go for it.

Dec 27, 2014 at 4:25 AM Post #3,904 of 13,800
  no lps for me.  just xfi.  I can always get an LPS later from a third party but the femto and opamp upgrade is something I can't easily do myself

Think about it this way, for an extra $218 you will get a feature (femto) that is only present in DACs thrice the price you paid for your Xfi. 
It all depends on how much value you would place on the femto and opamp upgrades.

As previously mentioned you can go 3rd party. I personally didn't get the LPS. Yes, an external linear power helps.

X to Xfi...the current Moving On Up deal is good IMO. But as others implied, this might put you at the back of the line. I wish I had known about the Moving perk earlier and saved a lot of dough...the perks updates just keeps 'moving' . Ultimately it's your hard earned cash and time so I/we can't advise if you should go for it.

Thank for all the inputs. I am getting confused with the "move on up". Doesn't Pulse Xfi costs $1399? If I first get the standard Pulse ($399) then select the "move up" to xfi with $506. Isn't that significantly cheaper? I haven't bought any perks yet btw. Thanks

Dec 27, 2014 at 4:44 AM Post #3,905 of 13,800

Thank for all the inputs. I am getting confused with the "move on up". Doesn't Pulse Xfi costs $1399? If I first get the standard Pulse ($399) then select the "move up" to xfi with $506. Isn't that significantly cheaper? I haven't bought any perks yet btw. Thanks

Yes, it is.
The current best deal for the Xfi is getting the base Pulse, then the Movin' On Up perk for a total of $399+506.

Dec 27, 2014 at 4:47 AM Post #3,906 of 13,800

Yes, it is.
The current best deal for the Xfi is getting the base Pulse, then the Movin' On Up perk for a total of $399+506.

Thanks. I will go for it then. By the way, should I do $4 + $506 for the upgrade? Or $4 + $502? Thanks

Dec 27, 2014 at 4:57 AM Post #3,908 of 13,800
Cheers. I bit the bullet and ordered a Geek Pulse Xfi. Hopefully it sounds miles better than my AK240 =)

Dec 27, 2014 at 5:52 AM Post #3,910 of 13,800
....... yeah, patience is not my strong point....... anyways, i read from the LHlab forum that when the geek pulse is turned on, the volume is set to 0 dB. Isn't that a crazy idea if people leave their headphones plugged in?

Dec 27, 2014 at 6:34 AM Post #3,912 of 13,800
Same here, I also think that the naked Xfi is close to being overkill for me so the upgrades would most definately be. I hope it will be possible to get a objective answer since people who invested 300 extra dollars into it want to hear a (big) difference.

Dec 27, 2014 at 7:06 AM Post #3,913 of 13,800
Well I decided to go for the naked resistor upgrade after all. A local Head-Fier will be getting the regular Pulse Xfi, so we can make comparisons between the two units. Doubt I can hear a difference between the two but Larry said the resistors would improve the IMD performance.

Dec 27, 2014 at 7:23 AM Post #3,914 of 13,800
I am SURE nobody here wants to hear this, but I came SO close to pulling the trigger (from scratch... I'm not in at all) on a brand new pulse plus perk upgrade to Xfi.

Upon closer browsing of this thread, I see how long people have been waiting and on how this seems to be a moving target, and it just smacks of 'Ponzi' scheme.

Anyway, I'm just glad I showed some restraint for once in my life.... for all your sakes I hope I'm way off base here.

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back