Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Aug 8, 2014 at 6:32 PM Post #1,892 of 13,800
Interesting to hear so many reports on noise.

My GO 450 has no noise whatsoever.  My headphones are sensitive, although not IEMs.

Maybe this is an issue that varies with sample?

Aug 11, 2014 at 11:59 PM Post #1,893 of 13,800
I bought in I think back in September or October with a delivery of June, it's now August.....not.....pleased.

Aug 13, 2014 at 5:20 AM Post #1,895 of 13,800
Quick question on a cheper option for remote treaming into Geek Pulse: if I buy something like this (aptX Bluetooth adapter with coax/optical digital out), would it stream digitally my FLAC files from my PC/iPAD (and eventually even from Geek Wave, with BT stream) into Pulse ?
I guess this solution will not differ too much from the Geek current Bluetooth solution, and it would cost to me almost 3x less.

Or will the files be converted in the PC/iPAD by their own DAC, streamed as analog signal, reconverted with by ADC in the BT receiver and re-reconverted again with Pulse DAC (so basically losing the benefit of a higher end DAC) ?

As an alternative for remote streaming with Pulse, I was also thinking to use a Raspberry Pi connected to the Pulse (RPi USB out into Pulse USB in, and RPi connected to my home NAS), but I'm not sure if RPi will be able to cope with the stream rate of 24/96 or DSD files.
And I never setup a Pi ( just ordered one), so I'm not sure how easy this solution will be to implement.

Aug 13, 2014 at 11:51 AM Post #1,896 of 13,800
Yeah those will both work, for the rpi you just have to load some music playing rom like mpd or daphile or one of those

Aug 16, 2014 at 2:55 PM Post #1,898 of 13,800
They updated the roadmap on 8/04/2014 so they can't be too far behind.. they're close enough to shipping the first units that I'm definitely able to stay positive but I decided to cancel my post survey femto because I want my GPX to ship sooner.  I'm ready for this baby to be given birth already :p

Aug 16, 2014 at 10:20 PM Post #1,899 of 13,800
At the same time, I REALLY hope they don't rush it to get it out due to demand.

This is easy for me to say though because I'm really don't need it right now. My Asus E1 is doing a brilliant job with my PC.

Aug 16, 2014 at 10:32 PM Post #1,900 of 13,800
I'm not familiar with how crowd funding works.  Well I know that if you buy ahead of time you get a good deal, but will it be on sale to the general public after all of the crowd funding people have gotten theirs?  I have only found this thread recently and it looks like something that I would purchase.  

Aug 17, 2014 at 12:38 AM Post #1,901 of 13,800
I'm not familiar with how crowd funding works.  Well I know that if you buy ahead of time you get a good deal, but will it be on sale to the general public after all of the crowd funding people have gotten theirs?  I have only found this thread recently and it looks like something that I would purchase.  

Most crowd funding campaigns are made available for retail after the product comes out, but some are limited to the campaign only. I have backed 2 kickstarters that cannot be purchased.

I can say with absolute certainty that LHLabs wants to sell this at retail.

Aug 18, 2014 at 6:13 PM Post #1,902 of 13,800
New updates, posting for the people who unsubscribed from indiegogo email

Geek Pulse
Update 8/18/2014: Femto clocks have arrived! Well, 900 of them, anyway. It may seem like a small thing, but we've been waiting on these things for a LONG time, so we're pretty excited. All of the upgraded opamps have also arrived. Geek Pulse boards are officially being assembled. Now we're just waiting for the new Pulse X / S boards to show up (the ones we snuck in some changes to while we were waiting for the femto clocks) so we can start that assembly run.

LPS/LPS4

Update 8/18/2014: In order to lower Johnson noise throughout the 12V supply in LPS4, we decided to make a change to two out of LPS 4's 12V outputs down to a power rating of 500mA. These two 500mA outputs are to be used with lower power consumption devices from the Geek Pulse family. The other two 12V outputs will have their power output raised to 1200mA!

1. Output 1 (1200 mA): Geek Pulse DAC
  2. Output 2 (500 mA): Geek Blue/Geek Air
  3. Output 3 (1200 mA): Geek Preamp (formal name TBD) / Geek Dedicated Headphone Amp (formal name TBD)
  4. Output 4 (500 mA): Geek Phono (formal name TBD)

Aug 18, 2014 at 7:07 PM Post #1,903 of 13,800
I'm interested on that Geek dedicated headphone amp....

Now I am happy why I upgraded to LPS4. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Aug 18, 2014 at 7:24 PM Post #1,904 of 13,800
  I'm interested on that Geek dedicated headphone amp....

Now I am happy why I upgraded to LPS4. 
bigsmile_face.gif

i had emailed gavin early on, kinda regretting having upgraded, and i was wondering if i could just go go back base model.
he talked me out of downgrading ,  now i'm kinda glad he did !! 

Aug 18, 2014 at 7:29 PM Post #1,905 of 13,800
Hey they posted new pics of the chassis and front/backplates.   Looks like they are going with angular corners but this might not be the final finish so please chill out.  manny had this to say "the machined chassis is done but the aesthetics is off site and getting worked"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back