Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Mar 15, 2014 at 7:41 PM Post #1,411 of 13,800
EDIT
Quote:
Gavin Fish

Measurements are an indication of what a device will sound like. Engineers will make decisions to purposefully make their device sound the way they think it should sound. In the case of Geek Out, we've striven to engineer a device that could rival Da Vinci Dual DAC. In fact, we've come short of this ideal. But Geek Out comes close— uncomfortably close. Larry and I had been concerned that we made it too good, thinking that it'll be too difficult to top it. But with the initial listening tests and measurements of Geek Pulse, we've laid those concerns to rest.

With how incredibly well the Geek Out measured and in seeing these types of comments, I'm pretty excited about having a Geek Out and upgraded PulseX and LPS on the way.

Mar 19, 2014 at 2:57 AM Post #1,415 of 13,800
Maybe he means difficult to trust.  Personally I find the measurements incredibly encouraging.  If they get such great results with usb power in such a tiny enclosure, the geek pulse will be super amazing!  It's pretty cool that they can engineer a top dac in both super high end and entry level price points.  Usually a company specializes in one or the other.  I'm also pretty excited about their integrated amp.  I use a 2.1 setup in my home theatre so if their integrated amp is good and has a subwoofer out maybe I'll replace my receiver with it so I can have a  light harmonic setup in both my home theatre speaker area and my computer desk

Mar 19, 2014 at 3:29 AM Post #1,416 of 13,800
Larry is deciding to implement the Minimum Phase digital filter. 

This could remove digital artifacts and pre-ringing (more musical esp. instruments and voice). 

Unless you prefer Linear Phase filtering.

Source: http://geek.lhlabs.com/force/geekpulse/908-minimum-phase-digital-filter

Mar 19, 2014 at 3:40 AM Post #1,417 of 13,800
Larry is deciding to implement the Minimum Phase digital filter. 

This could remove digital artifacts and pre-ringing (more musical esp. instruments and voice). 

Unless you prefer Linear Phase filtering.

Source: http://geek.lhlabs.com/force/geekpulse/908-minimum-phase-digital-filter

So what is pre-ringing and how does a minimum phase filter reduce it?

https://ccrma.stanford.edu/~jos/filters/Definition_Minimum_Phase_Filters.html
https://ccrma.stanford.edu/~jos/mdft/Linear_Phase_Terms.html

Mar 20, 2014 at 8:59 AM Post #1,418 of 13,800
Regarding the whole thing of measurements... To me, publishing the measurements of their audio products to back up their published specs says a lot of good towards a company. Other companies that do this are Emotiva and Ascend Acoustics. 

Comparing one's products against the competition is OK in my opinion as long as everybody is measured with the same ruler. The comparisons made between the Geek Out 1000 and the rest are fair measurements. Yes, LH used the GeekOut 1000 against the competition, but as long as the ruler is the same for all, its a fair comparison to show the superiority of their higher spec'd unit. 

Mar 21, 2014 at 4:16 AM Post #1,421 of 13,800
  Maybe he means difficult to trust.  Personally I find the measurements incredibly encouraging.  If they get such great results with usb power in such a tiny enclosure, the geek pulse will be super amazing!  It's pretty cool that they can engineer a top dac in both super high end and entry level price points.  Usually a company specializes in one or the other.  I'm also pretty excited about their integrated amp.  I use a 2.1 setup in my home theatre so if their integrated amp is good and has a subwoofer out maybe I'll replace my receiver with it so I can have a  light harmonic setup in both my home theatre speaker area and my computer desk

Forget to say, our U.K distributor actually use Geek Out in their $100,000 home stereo system to demo and get blowed away!

Don't let the size fool you. 

If I'm the 'marketing' person, I would use Geek Out measurement and listening tests to against a lot of $3000 DAC out there. :wink: 

One of our kind Geek 300 member promised to send me another 3+ great portable DACs to play. Herus, D3 and etc...

So maybe in next few weeks, I could publish the most comprehensive test results, also a very fair one, for top 7 ~ 8 current portable DACs.
Saem Audio Precision, Same computer, Same cable, Same tester in a short period of time. :wink:

Stay tuned. 

Mar 21, 2014 at 5:20 PM Post #1,423 of 13,800

Forget to say, our U.K distributor actually use Geek Out in their $100,000 home stereo system to demo and get blowed away!

Don't let the size fool you. 

If I'm the 'marketing' person, I would use Geek Out measurement and listening tests to against a lot of $3000 DAC out there. :wink: 

One of our kind Geek 300 member promised to send me another 3+ great portable DACs to play. Herus, D3 and etc...

So maybe in next few weeks, I could publish the most comprehensive test results, also a very fair one, for top 7 ~ 8 current portable DACs.
Saem Audio Precision, Same computer, Same cable, Same tester in a short period of time. :wink:

Stay tuned. 

That would be very cool Larry!

Like I've said in my earlier post, you don't see this very often from many companies....I'm not talking about publishing how their product compares against the competition, but simply publish how well it measures...period. So customers can make a better, more informed decision. Now, on top of DAC publishing how well it fares against the competition, its another plus!

I would recommend, in order to prevent disbelief from other people, to also include some pictures? and also include the other members of the Geek Family? the 450 and 720?

Oh... and patiently waiting to see how well the Pulse and all its variantas fare in the measurements as well  
biggrin.gif

Mar 21, 2014 at 7:43 PM Post #1,424 of 13,800
Had no doubt about the performance, not a second - that´s why I backed "pulse" (though not yet sure if I have to nickname mine)
(Just wanted to say, if I will ever have a possibility to do a test for some sort of self-designed product, I would politely put "competitor 1"… enough about my opinion)

Cannot wait to see comparisons for the pulse! I am sure it will be a really good sabre implementation out there!

Mar 22, 2014 at 1:51 AM Post #1,425 of 13,800
  That would be very cool Larry!

Like I've said in my earlier post, you don't see this very often from many companies....I'm not talking about publishing how their product compares against the competition, but simply publish how well it measures...period. So customers can make a better, more informed decision. Now, on top of DAC publishing how well it fares against the competition, its another plus!

I would recommend, in order to prevent disbelief from other people, to also include some pictures? and also include the other members of the Geek Family? the 450 and 720?

Oh... and patiently waiting to see how well the Pulse and all its variantas fare in the measurements as well  
biggrin.gif

Agree. 450 and 720 will be publish with the other similar products! 

Actually, I plan to publish the Geek Out Nano vs Herus. Because the price range and output voltage is the similar. And we will put out simple raw test results with some simple explanation. You are the final judge... 

Larry

Users who are viewing this thread

Back