Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Mar 9, 2014 at 4:06 PM Post #1,381 of 13,800
I would love to see Light Harmonic and the Geek Force make some sort of portable media player. All of the ones I've heard recently either 1) don't sound very good, or 2) have an absolutely terrible user interface.

even the X5? :blink:

To me yeah. Even if the X5 sounded better than a $239485729038 system *random numbers yay,* the user interface was extremely frustrating. It's usable sure, but far from being anything I would ever use in reality.
http://www.head-fi.org/products/fiio-x5-high-res-portable-music-player/reviews/10602

Mar 10, 2014 at 2:06 AM Post #1,382 of 13,800
  Ok so here is Larry's update 4 min. ago:

1. Larry Ho
  2. Moderator
  3. rankmod.gif
  4. OFFLINE
  5. Karma: 32  
You are right. I should post a good progress last week.

So here is it.

* Geek Blue: Audio output quality is nice. But output voltage is not high enough, so we will keep fine tuning the output stage. Re-clock of digital output stage by our LH technology will be there by the end of this month.

* Geek Pulse: EP2 board will come in soon. And we will test another round of OpAmps in analog stage.
Now, my preference is
* Top 1: OP1612 + LME49710
* Top 2: Muse02 + LME49710
* Top 3: Muse01 + OP1612
And I found no matter what, JFET input combined with BJT input OpAmp seems always could deliver more balance sound. And we will keep going on in this journey on EP2 board since analog path has changed a little.

* Geek Pulse X/S: We found some issues with balance configuration. Still working on it. It's NOT easy to make it right.
Can you believe that, we still don't have quite enough PCB estate for balance version DAC. And I don't want to put components on the back side......

* Windows Driver and DFU testing went nicely. So now have a formal 'universal' Windows Driver for Geek Out/Pulse and Da Vinci.

* Geek LPS4/LPS: Will start heat testing and noise test again when the new PCB come in. That should be in 3rd week this month.

-- 
silly.png
 so many updates here ---

* LS JR./2G USB cable. ---> Tooling is on going. And we are making the final adjustment of marketing related technical specs.

Enjoy!

Can you provide the thread link. Though i check the forums every day, i missed this

Mar 10, 2014 at 2:29 AM Post #1,383 of 13,800
Mar 10, 2014 at 12:51 PM Post #1,387 of 13,800
Interesting updates! Not that surprised to see PCB space is at a premium on the balanced version of the Pulse, there's a lot of stuff they want to cram into that box.

I want them to do what they need to do to make sure they don't compromise sound quality with the layout of their boards, even if it means making the boards and boxes larger.  I will be disappointed since I wanted a really compact solution.  I kind of wish they had stopped listening to people after they went balanced.  Adapters are easy enough to make to go from balanced to single ended.  I didn't need them duplicating outputs and crowding the boards.  In the end I probably didn't need any of the upgrades beyond going balanced.  Oh well.

Mar 10, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #1,388 of 13,800
  I want them to do what they need to do to make sure they don't compromise sound quality with the layout of their boards, even if it means making the boards and boxes larger.  I will be disappointed since I wanted a really compact solution.  I kind of wish they had stopped listening to people after they went balanced.  Adapters are easy enough to make to go from balanced to single ended.  I didn't need them duplicating outputs and crowding the boards.  In the end I probably didn't need any of the upgrades beyond going balanced.  Oh well.

I can understand the desire for a compact footprint. Desk space is at a premium for many people. Luckily I am not one of them and I'd be perfectly fine with seeing the Pulse end up at a medium size. Having a slightly larger enclosure could give the Pulse a bit more presence on a desk or other open surface. But for me the key thing is that they make the best sounding product they can. After all that's why everyone here backed their campaign. I've seen several other DAC/amps that use a handful of PCBs. The new Denon uses 5 if I'm not mistaken.

Mar 10, 2014 at 1:22 PM Post #1,389 of 13,800

I can understand the desire for a compact footprint. Desk space is at a premium for many people. Luckily I am not one of them and I'd be perfectly fine with seeing the Pulse end up at a medium size. Having a slightly larger enclosure could give the Pulse a bit more presence on a desk or other open surface. But for me the key thing is that they make the best sounding product they can. After all that's why everyone here backed their campaign. I've seen several other DAC/amps that use a handful of PCBs. The new Denon uses 5 if I'm not mistaken.

I backed it because I basically wanted a GEEK Out in an enclosure only big enough to support the normal ins and outs of a desktop combo.  At the beginning, this was the vision sold and was exactly what I wanted.  Cheap, compact, and with the promise of great sound for the money.  As we all know, it has become and entirely different beast, quadrupling in price (for hopefully at least that much improvement (not like we can measure it)), and now possibly growing in size (who knows how much bigger if they stick (rightly so) to maximizing sound quality).  It is less about actual space for me, and more about how much space I want something to occupy.  I could fit an Audio-gd Master unit if I wanted to, but you will never see that happen.  I have even avoided the Schiit midrange stuff because I thought it took up too much space.

Don't get me wrong, I am still a huge fan, and very excited for the end product, I am just a tiny bit disappointed in the developments since the original vision was exactly what I was in the market for.  

Mar 10, 2014 at 1:38 PM Post #1,390 of 13,800
  I backed it because I basically wanted a GEEK Out in an enclosure only big enough to support the normal ins and outs of a desktop combo.  At the beginning, this was the vision sold and was exactly what I wanted.  Cheap, compact, and with the promise of great sound for the money.  As we all know, it has become and entirely different beast, quadrupling in price (for hopefully at least that much improvement (not like we can measure it)), and now possibly growing in size (who knows how much bigger if they stick (rightly so) to maximizing sound quality).  It is less about actual space for me, and more about how much space I want something to occupy.  I could fit an Audio-gd Master unit if I wanted to, but you will never see that happen.  I have even avoided the Schiit midrange stuff because I thought it took up too much space.

Don't get me wrong, I am still a huge fan, and very excited for the end product, I am just a tiny bit disappointed in the developments since the original vision was exactly what I was in the market for.  

I agree completely. I've heard the Audio-GD Master 7 and it was excellent, but not worth using in a desktop system. Maybe if you have a dedicated component room, but I wouldn't want that out in the open as it's not attractive at all and has such a large footprint. If they can keep it smaller that's wonderful since it'll look better for most people. And with their current size, if they only add an inch to the width it'll still have a shorter width than depth. Some may not agree but I'd prefer wider and less deep than the other way. Either way, as long as the Pulse sounds excellent I'll be happy.

Mar 10, 2014 at 1:58 PM Post #1,391 of 13,800

I agree completely. I've heard the Audio-GD Master 7 and it was excellent, but not worth using in a desktop system. Maybe if you have a dedicated component room, but I wouldn't want that out in the open as it's not attractive at all and has such a large footprint. If they can keep it smaller that's wonderful since it'll look better for most people. And with their current size, if they only add an inch to the width it'll still have a shorter width than depth. Some may not agree but I'd prefer wider and less deep than the other way. Either way, as long as the Pulse sounds excellent I'll be happy.

I laughed out loud in disbelief the first time I saw the Master 8 amp in person.  It sounded great, but had such a large footprint I knew I would never buy one regardless.

I agree with you on width vs depth, especially since cables (some rather thick) will be jutting out and take up even more space on a shelf or rack.  And yep, if it sounds good and doesn't end up larger than a shoebox, I will be happy.

Mar 10, 2014 at 3:30 PM Post #1,393 of 13,800
  is there anyway to buy this thing right now? I cant find a way to purchase anywhere!!!

The Geek Pulse doesn't exist currently and won't be available for purchase until later this year. Backers of the Indiegogo Campaign could start receiving theirs as early as June. At the moment LH Labs has a pre-order available for the portable Geek Out, but the Pulse pre-order won't be available for at least a month according to the company.

Mar 10, 2014 at 3:32 PM Post #1,394 of 13,800

The Geek Pulse doesn't exist currently and won't be available for purchase until later this year. Backers of the Indiegogo Campaign could start receiving theirs as early as June. At the moment LH Labs has a pre-order available for the portable Geek Out, but the Pulse pre-order won't be available for at least a month according to the company.

Thank you so much for saving me a lot of research. I appreciate it!

Mar 11, 2014 at 10:04 AM Post #1,395 of 13,800
Hey,
I read on the forum that aes/ebu will be on board. Looked it up on wikipedia: and it says usually aes/ebu uses 110Ohm with XLR-Connector on balanced cables. 75Ohm and BNC and twisted pair cables. 
Will the xlr be matched to those standards or how will it be done? I saw there are quite a few companies selling adapters to convert between the two or converting only the 110Ohm to 75 or things like this, but it would be nice if both implementations meet up to the standard, which I hope is here in europe same as in North America.
Since there are different norms, which one will it lean on:
AES as AES3

EBU as Tech-3250E

IEC as IEC 60958-4

Since after reading more and more how good ads/ebu can be for high-resolution-audio it would really interest me how it is done.
How I cam to this question, well after reading around on this:
http://lampizator.eu/lampizator/TRANSPORT/CD_transport_DIY.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back