Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Mar 4, 2014 at 6:48 AM Post #1,351 of 13,800
Not sure I like the new format.  I don't mind change but feel this needs to evolve since it's beta.  Too much Orange makes it difficult to distinguish changes, a little slower response and it all seems to blend together so it's tedious to navigate.

Mar 4, 2014 at 8:11 PM Post #1,352 of 13,800
60+ days until shipping confirmation system is up.

Anybody else getting the feeling they are in over their heads on this? At this rate, we'll be lucky to get the first Pulse's by next year.

Mar 4, 2014 at 8:23 PM Post #1,353 of 13,800
60+ days until shipping confirmation system is up.

Anybody else getting the feeling they are in over their heads on this? At this rate, we'll be lucky to get the first Pulse's by next year.
When I pledged on indiegogo, I realistically thought I'd be getting the amp in the fall, maybe octoberish. I've been a part of a few crowd sourced products and they're always delayed, whether they're clothing, electronics, etc. that being said, I do think they've bitten off a bit more than they can chew...they have the geek outs still not shipping, then the pulses, and they're also working on BT modules, PSUs, etc. that's a lot for a small company. Even apple works on one or two shipping items at a time.

Mar 5, 2014 at 12:39 AM Post #1,354 of 13,800
So, I got a combo geek out + geek pulse.  From previous posts, I was expecting the geek sooner, in the end of March shipment.

But this is imcompatible with a 60+ day for the shipment confirmation system to go up. :frowning2:

Anyone know the new date for the geek out for those who got the combo?

Mar 5, 2014 at 2:43 PM Post #1,355 of 13,800
Compared to the price of what is else available, if they come up with what they froze as concept at the end, I do not mind getting it as some time around christmas. 60+ days is just for this "customer-system". I rather have them tune the stuff some month and make one more sample then shipping out stuff worth hundreds of dollars in a rush. I ordered in a christmas-mood, so why not get it in a christmas-mood.

Mar 5, 2014 at 5:26 PM Post #1,356 of 13,800
Hope they do not put everything on one pcb again, seeing the probs that occurred with geek out. Could have, lets say 3 pcbs, 1 for interface, 2 for dac, 3 for analog would at least mean there is no total loss again if anything goes wrong in the production line and maybe all the different versions could be even faster assembled. I remember they said sonically they want everything of course sound wise on one pcb, but are´nt there any high-grade internal connectors to take care of a good interconnection?

Mar 6, 2014 at 4:46 AM Post #1,357 of 13,800
Mar 6, 2014 at 4:23 PM Post #1,358 of 13,800
Discovered a few dacs with a "warm-up"-diode. Like that feature, even though I read somewhere the xfa won´t need warm-up, it gives it some nice feeling, having a diode lit up at start and after some minutes go off.

Even so it seems this is not included in the first run, I would really like to have it on my femto-dac maybe later by software-update at least somehow on the display.

Mar 6, 2014 at 4:47 PM Post #1,359 of 13,800
I never understood why solid state components need to "warm-up."

Unless the capacitors are gigantic, they shouldn't need that much time, no? I mean, it's not like we boot up our modern computers and give it 10 minutes for it to perform at its best after booting; and I would say a whole computer is far more complex in terms of circuitry than a DAC or amp.

Mar 6, 2014 at 5:02 PM Post #1,360 of 13,800
I'm not worried about the delay... yes, I am saddened that I will have to wait more.. and unfortunately the delay has nothing to do with LHLabs not being able to deliver the product but with their system for setting up the orders... Still, I believe Larry Ho will take this time to tweak more and more the design and keep refining it the same way he found a tweak to squeeze a little bit more out the Geek Out a little before going into production.

Mar 6, 2014 at 5:05 PM Post #1,361 of 13,800
Well I didn´t grow up with stuff that takes 10 minutes, everything above 15 seconds is long for me. But where would be the problem to have a indication? They way I suggested it would allow just immediately to turn on the sound and play, I had in mind only an indicator that is not a prohibitor. For those of us who believe in well-tempered, we have for example a line of dots (if it will be a matrix display) slowly vanishing and just wait those 60 seconds to turn on the volume. So only an indicator - nothing else.
I do not understand anything about solid-state stuff, but I read some of the data sheets of some audio-clocks and other parts, that do maybe not meet the car-industry -40 up to +85° Celsius. And when I open my window in germany in the winter it might just have some degrees celsius minus. In Bavaria sometimes around -30 for example - hope I explained it well enough.

Mar 6, 2014 at 6:16 PM Post #1,363 of 13,800
  So, I got a combo geek out + geek pulse.  From previous posts, I was expecting the geek sooner, in the end of March shipment.

But this is imcompatible with a 60+ day for the shipment confirmation system to go up. :frowning2:

Does anyone know if you ordered the combo (Pulse & GeekOut) if they ship out separately?
I assumed they would ship together as shipping was the same price as a single unit. 

Mar 6, 2014 at 7:08 PM Post #1,364 of 13,800

Does anyone know if you ordered the combo (Pulse & GeekOut) if they ship out separately?
I assumed they would ship together as shipping was the same price as a single unit. 

It was mentioned here that they would ship separately, the geek out first.

Mar 7, 2014 at 2:46 AM Post #1,365 of 13,800
From Larry:

1. Larry Ho
  2. Moderator
  3. rankmod.gif
  4. OFFLINE
  5. Karma: 32  
Geek Out and Geek Pulse will share the same driver!
384K/32 bit...

And one more thing: next week, I will start working on DSD256 with that driver.

Cheers,

Larry

2014 projects begin!
Lead Engineer/ LH Labs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back