Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Dec 16, 2013 at 11:45 AM Post #706 of 13,800
Night and day as they say on here...
biggrin.gif

Dec 16, 2013 at 11:55 AM Post #707 of 13,800
  If their using same Dac chip in this as in the Geek Out, besides the benefit of the RCA out, will the Geek Pulse (as a Dac) sound significantly better than the Geek Out (as a Dac)?
I know it's about implementation but just wondering...

Better power supplies, less cramped traces, different opamps, etc.  It will definitely sound different, and most likely better.  When you use a word like significantly, you are asking for a judgment call that no one can make since the unit doesn't exist yet, and different people have different opinions on what is significant.  

Dec 16, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #708 of 13,800
Well, looks like we're all about to get Remote Control IR ports.  (We're $220 away as I type this.)

Dec 16, 2013 at 2:58 PM Post #709 of 13,800
  Well, looks like we're all about to get Remote Control IR ports.  (We're $220 away as I type this.)

$750,299 currently. We've reached the third 4th stretch goal. Now to see if they have any plans for a $1M. I'd love to see another stretch, but unless some new upgrade is announced alongside it I doubt we'll hit that mark.

Dec 16, 2013 at 3:29 PM Post #710 of 13,800
I never would have asked for one, but I am actually really excited for the IR sensor now.  

This now hits everything on my checklist that I have been wanting in a compact desktop package and at a price that is lower than I could have expected.  So as long as it isn't worse than my Nuforce HDP, I will be very happy with it. 

Dec 16, 2013 at 6:20 PM Post #711 of 13,800
$750,000 Stretch Goal Achieved! WHAAAAAAAAA?
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!
(At 9:00PM Pacific time, we'll be posting another fun announcement.  Hint: it could involve a $1M stretch goal.  If you want your say on what that stretch goal might be, please tell us over at lhlabs.com.)

So it seems we are indeed getting a $1M stretch goal. Wonder what it will end up being. I'm hoping for something that will boost sound quality. And that it's able to raise enough money to reach the goal.

Dec 16, 2013 at 6:52 PM Post #713 of 13,800
Dec 16, 2013 at 7:43 PM Post #714 of 13,800
Can anyone help explain to a newb -- I had intended on getting the Geek Pulse unit but amidst the furor and requests for a balanced device, I am now considering the Pulse X upgrade. 

I do not currently have any balanced headphones, but I am considering picking up some planars in the future. If I am willing to spend the price upgrading to the balanced Pulse X, is there any apparent trade-off I am making to use regular unbalanced headphones with the amp -- something I am giving up that I wouldn't have lost had I stuck with the unbalanced non-X version in the first place? 

I have a Peachtree DAC-it now which I enjoy, but my uneducated guess is that this Geek Pulse X may end up being a better DAC, although I don't know anything about the internals of the DAC-it. 

Any info/perspective is much appreciated. 

Dec 16, 2013 at 7:51 PM Post #715 of 13,800
  Can anyone help explain to a newb -- I had intended on getting the Geek Pulse unit but amidst the furor and requests for a balanced device, I am now considering the Pulse X upgrade. 

I do not currently have any balanced headphones, but I am considering picking up some planars in the future. If I am willing to spend the price upgrading to the balanced Pulse X, is there any apparent trade-off I am making to use regular unbalanced headphones with the amp -- something I am giving up that I wouldn't have lost had I stuck with the unbalanced non-X version in the first place? 

I have a Peachtree DAC-it now which I enjoy, but my uneducated guess is that this Geek Pulse X may end up being a better DAC, although I don't know anything about the internals of the DAC-it. 

Any info/perspective is much appreciated. 

As the Pulse X comes with both a balanced XLR 4 pin output and a single ended (SE) 1/4" TRS output on the front, you'll easily be able to use your current headphones with the Pulse X. And of course you'll be able to use the Pulse X with balanced headphones (or amplifiers when using the balanced line-outs on the back) should you buy any or upgrade the cables on your existing headphones.

As for what you'll be giving up - only one thing that I can think of - that's the possible loss of one extra RCA SPDIF digital input. On the Pulse X, one of the RCA SPDIF digital inputs is replaced by an AES/EBU input, although one of the engineers (Larry Ho) thought it might be possible for him to design it such that the AES/EBU input will accept either the higher voltage AES/EBU signal or the lower voltage SPDIF signal. Hopefully he can make this happen.

As for sound quality, the dual DACs in a mono-mono configuration are likely to improve it, over the standard Pulse which has only one DAC. That's about all I can think of. I went for the Pulse X if you hadn't guessed... :)

Dale

Dec 17, 2013 at 12:16 AM Post #716 of 13,800
My copy of Stereophile just came in the mail today and it has 2 featured articles on the Geek Pulse project, as well as an afterword from Larry Ho. I think they may reach that goal of $1 Million now that some of the old geezers that probably don't know about kickstarter are now aware of it!

Dec 17, 2013 at 12:23 AM Post #717 of 13,800
  My copy of Stereophile just came in the mail today and it has 2 featured articles on the Geek Pulse project, as well as an afterword from Larry Ho. I think they may reach that goal of $1 Million now that some of the old geezers that probably don't know about kickstarter are now aware of it!

Thanks!  And we just announce our $1M stretch goal.  This journey is quite amazing!

Dec 17, 2013 at 12:26 AM Post #718 of 13,800

Thanks!  And we just announce our $1M stretch goal.  This journey is quite amazing!

stretch_goals-1M.jpg

Improvements to both the Pulse & Pulse X, everyone wins!

Dec 17, 2013 at 12:31 AM Post #719 of 13,800
Those Nichicon caps are a very nice upgrade. Kudos to them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back