Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Dec 9, 2013 at 4:18 PM Post #542 of 13,800
Oh has it? :-o

That just increased my chances of getting it. XD

Oh wait, what about inputs? Will it be balanced inputs only?

There are no analog inputs.  This is pure digital input only.

Right. I realised I said the wrong thing. The analog line out option is what I meant to ask and it looks to have the RCA line out. I'm not sure why 2 RCA line out options were in the Pulse.

Dec 9, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #543 of 13,800
Right. I realised I said the wrong thing. The analog line out option is what I meant to ask and it looks to have the RCA line out. I'm not sure why 2 RCA line out options were in the Pulse.

There's only 1 RCA out, it's a L/R output to interconnect with an amp. The other 2 RCA connections are 2 SPDIF in. If the last stretch goal is reached it'll have a digital out as well. So 2 outputs, 4 inputs.

I use the colors to tell me what's what with inputs/outputs. Easiest way to be lazy :p

Dec 9, 2013 at 4:38 PM Post #544 of 13,800
  One of the SPDIF/RCAs is switched for balanced AES input

About convert the S/PDIF output to AES-EBU input, on Pulse X:

Quote: Larry Ho, from LHLabs: http://www.lhlabs.com/force/geekpulse/315-geek-pulse-rca-version-dual-mono?start=30#2262
Larry B wrote:
The voltage levels of AES/EBU are higher. You may be able to convert from higher voltage down to S/PDIF, but I don't think you can't go the other way. At least not with a simple adapter.

Guys, all for you, I will try my best to make the receiver become both logic level compatible. But no guarantee here.

If I made it, with no compromise in sound, then you could just use the proper adapter and input AES/EBU to Geek Pulse,
or input another SPDIF to Geek Pulse X.

Dec 9, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #550 of 13,800
The Geek linear power supply has just been announced. I'm curious as to whether people think this represents a significant upgrade, considering it costs $400, more than the Pulse DAC itself and a good portion of the Pulse X.

Would it be too much to ask for measurements for the Pulse/Pulse X with and without the LPS?

Dec 9, 2013 at 11:25 PM Post #554 of 13,800
  I can pick up a generic 12V LPS locally for about $50. What's improved with the Geek LPS that makes it worth nearly 6x the cost? I understand it has a 5V connection for the Geek Out, but I doubt I'd travel with it.

From what I gather, the Pulse uses both the 12V and 5V.  It will be difficult to find an off the shelf supply that does both. 

The specs on the LHlabs one is likely to be much better than an off the shelf as well.  The $289 early bird price is too much for me to get one, but having built high end LPSs before, it isn't actually that bad a price.

Dec 9, 2013 at 11:27 PM Post #555 of 13,800
Like DACs these come in all different price points and topologies. This one is on the low side of average if you look at Paul Haynes, Teddy Pardo or the King Rex units. The Meridian LPS that matches the Prime headphone dac/amp is $1250.00.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back