Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Nov 20, 2019 at 2:37 AM Post #13,471 of 13,800
4.2Vrms (47 * 2 Ohm)

Nov 20, 2019 at 2:56 AM Post #13,472 of 13,800
4.2Vrms (47 * 2 Ohm)

Thank you, for some reason that info is impossibly difficult to come by. When you say 47 * 2, do you mean it's 94ohms or is it 47ohms? Not entirely savvy when it comes to electronics, I was just advised to get a balanced DAC with low output impedance for a new amplifier that I'll be receiving

Nov 20, 2019 at 4:43 AM Post #13,473 of 13,800
I am the same with you. Got it from an old data. After many years I can't remember what it meant. Maybe its 94 ohms since SE output is 2.1Vrms @ 47 ohms.

6640993.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2019 at 6:03 PM Post #13,476 of 13,800
I was one of the fortunate to have recieved my Infinity Pulse with LPS. I had to return my unit for repair within the first month of ownership but it has been great ever since (knock on wood). I just recieved Drop's THX AAA 789 amp and I must say the sound improvement is immediately evident. I've been listening to my HE560s for about an hour now and the detail, separation, and bottom end control are fantastic. Many have suggested that the DAC on the Pulse is held back by its amp and I would enthusiasticaly agree. I currently have the Pulse on low gain @ 0dB and the THX on gain 2 with the vol at 1 o'clock. All XLR cables. I'm going through some of my fav rock stuff now and love how the percusion and strings are coming through. I was looking considering new cans but opted for the amp upgrade and so far I'm very pleased. The HE560s have found some new life. For now!

For those of you burned by this failed experiment of a company ... I'm sincerely sorry for your misfortune. Don't let it spoil the music!

Cheers

Edit:
Here are some pics as requested. I like the new knob as you can better see the vol level and the unit is sturdier than I expected. Frankly I don't care much for the asthetics but I am regretting getting the 'new' Puse chasis as the pair don't fit under my monitor. I may have to the Pulse under the desk with the LPS. Did I mention the additional detail and separation this thing is providing .... fawk me!!!

Edit2:
Notoriously simbilant recordings .... James Vincent McMorrow's Cavialier .... Kate Bush's Rocket's Tail are significantly improved. The sound is still bright but much more acceptible. There is less modulation with the improved separation and control. The brightness is much more tollerable because you can cognitively make out what is being recorded and the sounds don't mush together. Don't get me wrong the recordings are still on the bright side. Perhaps its the sound engineers fault, perhaps the sabre chip in the DAC ... perhaps the HE560s ... likely all three. Ultimately the sound is much improved. I'm looking forward to messing with the filters all over again to see if I change my current setting. OK ... that's enough from me.

IMG_20191203_180904.jpg IMG_20191203_181125.jpg IMG_20191203_182146.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2019 at 8:25 PM Post #13,477 of 13,800
Ok Stuck Limo, time to ask again: when are our Pulse Infinity and LPS orders arriving?
A rhetorical question, of course. Because from time to time LH Labs still gives assurances about delivery of outstanding orders, but nothing happens.
I would prefer if you had the courage and honesty to tell us the truth - that delivery won't happen.
It's been lie upon lie, starting in 2013 when we placed our original orders. LH labs is a company that took our money, is totally inept, and deserves to be rebuked by the entire audio community.
O dear, Stuck Limo has gone AWOL again.
In the past he has been so full of promises about delivery. But now that it's become a total joke, I just want to see what he's got to say about outstanding LH Labs deliveries - if he is listening.

Dec 7, 2019 at 5:57 AM Post #13,479 of 13,800
Dec 7, 2019 at 11:54 AM Post #13,480 of 13,800
So I've downloaded the latest firmware and can now play DSD128 natively just fine but my Jrivermedia center (v20.0.132) keeps crashing when I try to play DSD256. Anyone have any clues as to why this might be? I am running it via ASIO

Dec 7, 2019 at 1:24 PM Post #13,481 of 13,800
3.26 is the ASIO driver for the computer to connect to Pulse, not the Pulse itself

DSD256 needs a custom firmware on the Pulse itself. I sadly dabbled in doing so when it was not recommended. On the website there is a note that Pulse Infinity units have a custom firmware by serial number. So I can play dsd256 but there is a loud pop right before playing a file. USB stability overall is very bad. I’ve had to stop using it because it disconnects. I would’ve loved to have a backup of my unit’s original firmware but I dont.

Dec 7, 2019 at 8:41 PM Post #13,482 of 13,800
3.26 is the ASIO driver for the computer to connect to Pulse, not the Pulse itself

DSD256 needs a custom firmware on the Pulse itself. I sadly dabbled in doing so when it was not recommended. On the website there is a note that Pulse Infinity units have a custom firmware by serial number. So I can play dsd256 but there is a loud pop right before playing a file. USB stability overall is very bad. I’ve had to stop using it because it disconnects. I would’ve loved to have a backup of my unit’s original firmware but I dont.

I actually realized I can't even run DSD128 natively. I can only do DoP. Oh well, I guess. I don't want to tinker with the unit and risk bricking it.

Dec 7, 2019 at 11:40 PM Post #13,483 of 13,800

Sorry to hear that Bro..

So I've downloaded the latest firmware and can now play DSD128 natively just fine but my Jrivermedia center (v20.0.132) keeps crashing when I try to play DSD256. Anyone have any clues as to why this might be? I am running it via ASIO

The problem I think is with JRiver. It crashes when playing higher DSD files (say DSD512) to the ones your DAC supports (say DSD128). If I remembered correctly.

Need to upgrade to latest version (MC 25). Where you can tell JRiver to bitstream DSD at your DAC's highest supported file / or to a particular value (say DSD128) when playing higher DSD rates (say DSD256).
The configuration would be: Bitreaming -> Custom-> DSD -> up to DSD128 (max supported by Geek Pulse w/o custom firmware).

A work around on your version is to configure Bitsream to NONE. And configure DSP Output Format on higher rates to 384KHZ (max supported by Geek Pulse).

Yes it will convert DSD to PCM, BUT it will let you play higher sampled files.

Just trying to help.

[merged]

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 10, 2019 at 2:48 PM Post #13,484 of 13,800
Was one of the early beta testers for the DSD256 firmware back in October 2015.

Mine is Main 3.0, MCU 2.4 forgot USB...

Here is my DSD256 X Infinity firmware. Please use as a last resort if stucklimo could not provide you one. Incorrect flashing might brick your unit. And support now is inexistent. Haven't got feedbacks to persons I have shared my firmware with if it worked. Nobody got angry also so maybe...

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1pdRTaiK5FRCGDSX0Vrkpw6AStoRKFC8w

When flashing use the DFU utility that comes from your windows driver. If you don't have one, use that is found on this driver:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=112gnZ1jiGZez9ttERBU-SBQ_kvf0nZ7C

DSD256 works only on NATIVE mode NOT in DoP.

Just curious, if I don't absolutely don't need DSD, is it worth updating the Pulse firmware? Not sure if there are any other sonic improvements with the firmware update. Also, how do I even install it?

Dec 10, 2019 at 3:20 PM Post #13,485 of 13,800
If it is working good, DO NOT TOUCH THE FIRMWARE

Leave your player to send all to PCM. If using JRIVER that is their prefer option, and what I do with my GeekOut. DSD I convert to PCM 352.8 KHZ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back