Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
May 24, 2016 at 11:10 AM Post #11,297 of 13,800
OMG guys, what a product, I'm sold. 2uV noise floor? Seriously?

Can you guys comment on it? Thanks Tax 23, are you using it? For 49$, it's worth a shot.
Combine it with DC purifier and you get best results ever.

I would be very wary about peak to peak noise floor claim values. As most people are aware, those transformers (since that is what these are) and the DC purifier which is really composed of active and passive components inherently produce noise that is more or less a coefficient of temperature than input/output levels and I am not talking about any amplification yet (Johnston, white noise). Suffice to say that unless you have the required equipment to measure those values, you can claim anything you want. I'd be very surprised for 49$ you can get the same effect than a carefully designed linear power supply. In any events, the onus will be on you the buyer and no one else. So like they say "an informed consumer is a smart one".

May 24, 2016 at 1:56 PM Post #11,298 of 13,800
I heard, even NASA couldn't make a regulator that could do 5uV low noise floor, how the **** did they do 2uV with 49$ adapter? This is some crazy ****! LOL :joy: :ok_hand:

I would be very wary about peak to peak noise floor claim values. As most people are aware, those transformers (since that is what these are) and the DC purifier which is really composed of active and passive components inherently produce noise that is more or less a coefficient of temperature than input/output levels and I am not talking about any amplification yet (Johnston, white noise). Suffice to say that unless you have the required equipment to measure those values, you can claim anything you want. I'd be very surprised for 49$ you can get the same effect than a carefully designed linear power supply. In any events, the onus will be on you the buyer and no one else. So like they say "an informed consumer is a smart one".

May 24, 2016 at 2:16 PM Post #11,299 of 13,800
I heard, even NASA couldn't make a regulator that could do 5uV low noise floor, how the **** did they do 2uV with 49$ adapter? This is some crazy ****! LOL :joy: :ok_hand:

If you read their page, according to them, it's the military radar technology that they got the idea plus automagically using dynamic noise suppressing components, they sure have those things working in reverse of what I thought things were going to but again kudos to them if they can reduce this variable to vanishing lows. :D

May 25, 2016 at 12:39 PM Post #11,300 of 13,800
Hi Lord Raven, no, I don't have the iFi one. I have Jay's Audio LPS, and I am happy with it.

I am no engineer, but it seems that the performance of power supply under load may be different when there is no load. So it depends on what the manufacturer is reporting.

May 27, 2016 at 3:42 PM Post #11,301 of 13,800
Totally off subject here, but can anyone tell me if the Pulse driver is compatible with Microsoft Windows server 2012 r2 Essentials? I’ve opened a ticket and haven’t received a response and I REALLY NEED TO KNOW! Thank you in advance for anyone who answers!!!

May 28, 2016 at 3:19 AM Post #11,305 of 13,800
2013 UK backer still waiting on Pulse Infinity 2.0 here....anyone else in the same boat? I'm moving in August, so starting to worry about needing to get my delivery address changed.

Same here, I've moved three times since then. You need to open a support ticket with them and let them know about the new address. Ask them about the delivery estimate to see if you get the standard next month answer.

May 28, 2016 at 7:05 AM Post #11,306 of 13,800
Is anyone here using a Raspberry Pi as a streamer? I am having some issues lately. First, I used the Archphile Distro. It worked nice, except for the "thud", the one you hear when you power up the Geek Pulse. With the Archphile on the Raspberry I heard the thud every time I touched a button on the Geek, when I changed volume, when I changed sources, even when it (automatically) changed sampling rates. I changed to the MoOde distro 2.6 TR3 and the problems ceased. Or so I thought. A few days ago I "upgraded" to Moode 2.6 TR5 and there it was again, the good old thud. 

Anyone facing the same problems?

May 28, 2016 at 12:02 PM Post #11,308 of 13,800
It is worth picking pinging then... There is a reasonable chance they aren't it to the wrong address... Without any shipping notification.

And if not. A reasonable chance they will say "oh, it just happens that we are syncing your unit or right now"

May 29, 2016 at 1:05 AM Post #11,309 of 13,800
Another UK backer waiting on the Infinity, originally backed the Pulse on 14 December 2013 and have had the LPS4 for about a year!

I hope you've tested out your LPS4. I was the same as you, got my LPS4 WAY AHEAD of the Infinity, but my LPS4 had some buzzing and hum issues. Luckily my friend had an amp I could test out the LPS4 on not long after I got it, so I got to find out about the problem and get the support train moving while I waited on my Infinity. Could save you some tears when your 3 year old component finally arrives. 

Jun 1, 2016 at 1:50 PM Post #11,310 of 13,800
Did anybody ever measure the idle power consumption of the Pulse with or without an LPS? Because of the temperature I'm hesitant to keep it turned on all the time.

(btw: My XFI came in this week, ordered in November 2014. Loving the sound with my Jays Audio LPS-25VA and HE-560 balanced so far.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back