Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
May 19, 2016 at 9:34 AM Post #11,281 of 13,800
  Guys, how many of you are using LPS? I got some spare funds, and might throw at it, having second thoughts.. :)

LPS does really help. I've had an LPS4 for a long time, even before I got my Infinity to be honest, so I've always kind of taken it for granted. However, a month ago or so my LPS4 had some issues so I had to send it back to LHL for repairs. While I was gone I then got used to the Infinity without it, and it wasn't as good, but again I got used to it. Just got the LPS4 back yesterday and put it back in the system and the Infinity is noticeably better - smoother, blacker background, etc. Definitely bumps it up a level or two. If you look through the "for sale" threads you can probably get a used LPS. Cheers 

May 20, 2016 at 9:22 AM Post #11,282 of 13,800
Hello Head-Fi,

I got a rather good deal of a Geek Pulse Infinity X off atsq and was just wondering what the output power of the single and balanced headphone outs are. I forgot what they are, sorry! And I don't actually know how to convert measurements in volts into Watts. I learnt it but I keep forgetting it. LOL.

I tried using the balanced out of the DAC to a Oppo HA-1 and learnt I couldn't get as much volume out of the Oppo as I could using the headphone outs of the Infinity X. 

May 20, 2016 at 10:07 AM Post #11,283 of 13,800
  Hello Head-Fi,

I got a rather good deal of a Geek Pulse Infinity X off atsq and was just wondering what the output power of the single and balanced headphone outs are. I forgot what they are, sorry! And I don't actually know how to convert measurements in volts into Watts. I learnt it but I keep forgetting it. LOL.

I tried using the balanced out of the DAC to a Oppo HA-1 and learnt I couldn't get as much volume out of the Oppo as I could using the headphone outs of the Infinity X. 

If you are using the line outs (Balanced or SE on back of Infinity) you need to set the volume to 0 db (max) using the Light Harmonic Control Panel if you are using Windows.  Then you can control volume on the HA-1 to get comparable volume as if you were using the headphone outs on the Infinity.

May 20, 2016 at 10:09 AM Post #11,284 of 13,800
Just want to clarify, so you were just using the Infinitys XLR analog outputs to an OPPO HA-1 analog inputs to listen to headphones?  I would try to just listening to the Infinity headphone out just by itself and then compare it to the OPPO. 

May 20, 2016 at 10:57 AM Post #11,285 of 13,800
  Just want to clarify, so you were just using the Infinitys XLR analog outputs to an OPPO HA-1 analog inputs to listen to headphones?  I would try to just listening to the Infinity headphone out just by itself and then compare it to the OPPO. 

Yes, I could do that. I just wanted to see what the HA-1 was capable of as a Headphone amplifier only, not as a DAC/Amp.

May 21, 2016 at 4:52 PM Post #11,289 of 13,800
my Xfi seems to have lost volume control after restarting after I returned from a three week trip.

i use balanced out, nothing in the wiring has changed. I verified that the volume is under knob control. the display on the volume changes, just not the volume for balanced speaker out or headphones. 

No reply from LHL after over 50 hours from contact.

any ideas how i can fix this? Power cycled and rebooted in various sequences with no luck.

May 21, 2016 at 6:18 PM Post #11,290 of 13,800
my Xfi seems to have lost volume control after restarting after I returned from a three week trip.

i use balanced out, nothing in the wiring has changed. I verified that the volume is under knob control. the display on the volume changes, just not the volume for balanced speaker out or headphones. 

No reply from LHL after over 50 hours from contact.

any ideas how i can fix this? Power cycled and rebooted in various sequences with no luck.

Try reloading the firmware. Might help. Cheers

May 22, 2016 at 12:55 PM Post #11,291 of 13,800
Thanks, mscott58, but I have old chassis and Mac based system, so this requires sending back to LHLabs.
Fortunately U have a two year warranty and live not too distantly from their site.

Methinks this is the time to buy a new and reliably built DAC, and retire the Xfi once I get it repaired.

May 23, 2016 at 3:45 PM Post #11,294 of 13,800
Mine have the opposite problem when I adjust the volume, the sound will go off. 
I flashed the firmware a Rep provided me today after several days waiting and the problem persists. 

EDIT:
After this post, I power-cycle a few times and see what happened. Voila now I have the exact same problem, instead of going into mute the volume stayed the same! How lovely.
I'll flash the firmware again and see what will happen next time.

After flashing the MCU a few times it seems to be working now. I will probably just put a 1G microSD there permanently so it can load up firmware every time it bootup instead of giving me headache every a few months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back