Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Feb 8, 2016 at 12:04 AM Post #10,816 of 13,800

Are you using any adaptors, or aftermarket cables when connecting your headphones?

I had a 1/8" to 1/4" adaptor that caused short circuits when connecting my iem's to my Pulse. I tried another of the same type (different brand) of adaptor and it worked fine.

You're kidding right? The HD650/DT990's don't need an adapter to plug into the 1/4" SE output on the Pulse.

For some reason I was seeing "unbalanced" as "balanced" while skimming through your reply, which made me think you might be using aftermarket balanced cables.

Feb 8, 2016 at 12:09 AM Post #10,817 of 13,800

For some reason I was seeing "unbalanced" as "balanced" while skimming through your reply, which made me think you might be using aftermarket balanced cables.

No, I'm using stock HD650/DT990s with the stock cables. ALL are 1/4" unbalanced/single-ended going directly into the 1/4" output on the Pulse.  So when the Pulse buzzes and dies when I plug my headphones in, I really feel there's a problem with this thing.  

My friend with the MDAC was looking at it when it happened as was like What.

I can plug/unplug these headphones into the MDAC all day long with foobar playing into it I've never seen it hiccup.

Maybe this design is just so magical that I'm holding the plug wrong?

Feb 8, 2016 at 12:48 AM Post #10,818 of 13,800
I'm going to try and upload a video of this thing when I get some time because I have other things to do than to keep screwing with this.  My honest opinion is that LH gear is just not robust enough.  

I've been wanting to post about my experience since last month but didn't really have the time to deal with this.  I honestly regret trusting LH and backing this stuff only to end up with flaky hardware after the long wait.  First and last crowdfunding project I guarantee you.  LH has simply killed off the concept of crowdfunding/crowddesigning or whatever you want to call it.  The lesson has been learned.

I simply don't have confidence or trust it because it's simply not bulletproof like with other DACs that I've experienced.  I don't consider myself to be a PITA user because my requirements are pretty straight forward.  

Looks like somebody else has taken the time to post his experience with the flaky infinity/lps setup as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cbtf6yhcAcU

I guess I should consider myself lucky the Infinity/LPS/LS 2G even works together since it's obvious from the video that there's problems with the Infinity/LPS/2 x usb cable setup as well.

Goldmund/Job here I come...again.

Feb 8, 2016 at 5:25 AM Post #10,819 of 13,800
Originally Posted by adrian0115 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

[snip]

2.) I expect the DAC to work when plugging in headphones but somehow it randomly causes a buzz and crashes the Pulse necessitating multiple power cycles again.

[/snip]

My Infinity also wobbles when inserting/removing 1/4" headphone plug that sometimes manifests in a loss of connectivity with my laptop.  It usually recovers immediately though.  There's clearly a brief short taking place.  I'm not an electrical engineer but seems to me to be another indication of flaky design.

Feb 8, 2016 at 6:35 AM Post #10,820 of 13,800
Interesting, that's what happens when I change headphones on my Geek Out Special Edition...using it line or into an amp now, solved the problem, but shouldn't be the case.

Feb 8, 2016 at 9:15 AM Post #10,821 of 13,800

My Infinity also wobbles when inserting/removing 1/4" headphone plug that sometimes manifests in a loss of connectivity with my laptop.  It usually recovers immediately though.  There's clearly a brief short taking place.  I'm not an electrical engineer but seems to me to be another indication of flaky design.

My old geek out use to do that too. I had one of the outputs connected to my integrated amp while the other one I would connect to the the headphones.  And like you occasionally when connecting headphones it would mess something up where I had to disconnect and reconnect. weird

Feb 8, 2016 at 3:20 PM Post #10,822 of 13,800
On my geek out 1000 if I use ASIO sometimes I get just random noise when switching from 41k to 48k and i have to power cycle it. Great QC.

Feb 9, 2016 at 2:13 AM Post #10,824 of 13,800
My Pulse X will consistently not connect properly via USB upon first power on; if i play a track, Foobar will report unable to change sample rate to 44.1kHz error. A power cycle will 99% of the time fix the problem. So for me, powering up the Geek Pulse X is always a power-on, power-off and power-on sequence.

Fortunately, I m able to plug and unplug single-ended and balanced headphones without problems (for now)

Sent from my INO-2 using Tapatalk

Feb 9, 2016 at 3:24 AM Post #10,826 of 13,800
Sometimes the error will be something about unable to set ASIO buffer.

Sent from my INO-2 using Tapatalk

I've encountered the exact same problems as well.  As I stated, I had problems with it the VERY FIRST time I turned it on.  I've also encountered a problem where the sample rate on the Pulse gets stuck and doesn't change.  

Feb 9, 2016 at 4:12 AM Post #10,827 of 13,800
Though I've had several problems with my GO1000 and playback/connecting, today was the first day I experienced playback issues with the Infinity 2.0. That is, since discarding the 3 Lightspeed cables that consistently dropped connection and caused various issues.

Anyway, I turned on my dedicated music laptop after having it off for a few weeks and tried to play a song in foobar, but it kept throwing up errors. First it said nothing was findable, then after restarting foobar it would play for about 1 second, then say the track was already in use by another program.

After reading all the comments on here i power cycled the Infinity, but left all cables plugged in. Reopened foobar and the same playlist, and all was well. Been playing fine since.

Though my friend claimed he had playback issues while it was loaned to him for a month, this is the first major instance I've had with the Infinity. Let's hope it's the last.

Feb 9, 2016 at 6:21 AM Post #10,829 of 13,800
I have the following firmware on my Pulse Infinity:

Main 3.0 (i think this is a beta, got it from support)
USB 1.0
MCU 1.27

I had real problems with MCU FW 1.28 and 1.29 whereby there was a complete loss of sound output with any attempt at volume adjustment (knob or volume control) which necessitated a power-cycle.

LHLabs Firmware engineer has finally managed to reproduce and identify the problem and hopefully fix for a future version.

Support were very helpful regarding the (multiple) problems to date, and the device performs really well now (it just needs a power cycle if I turn my Mac off, to handshake again). I leave the Pulse on most of the time (fear of it not turning on again!).

Feb 9, 2016 at 7:58 AM Post #10,830 of 13,800
So apparently v2.0 is the current firmware for the Pulse X Infinity, and SSM mode has been finalised, according to the tech support team. That's news to me...

Interesting. I wonder if they're well enough together to email people when the new firmwares are released? 

Anyway, what do you think of your finalized SSM vs. the mostly favoured FTM? And is SSM any better for streaming?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back