Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Aug 29, 2015 at 12:13 PM Post #9,077 of 13,800
I actually pulled out a vintage Sony CDP-950 CD player (has a true multi-bit, similar to R-2R, Philips TDA1540 DAC chip) and I'm enjoying its sound with CDs a bit more, pun intended, than accurate rips of those same CDs on the X Infinity. :|

Maybe I should see what happens if I use the CDP-950 as the DAC and the X Infinity as the amp.

Aug 29, 2015 at 12:40 PM Post #9,078 of 13,800
I actually pulled out a vintage Sony CDP-950 CD player (has a true multi-bit, similar to R-2R, Philips TDA1540 DAC chip) and I'm enjoying its sound with CDs a bit more, pun intended, than accurate rips of those same CDs on the X Infinity. :|

Maybe I should see what happens if I use the CDP-950 as the DAC and the X Infinity as the amp.

Im not quite sure how you intend to do that but i dont think thats possibke

Aug 29, 2015 at 3:18 PM Post #9,079 of 13,800
They're completely different beasts, but given the choice between the two I'd prefer the Yggdrasil as my DAC because it's an R2R. You have to keep in mind that the Yggy is more than twice many backed for a Pulse X Infinity. It's nearly 3x the price for those who got the best deal on the Infinity.

the MSRP of Xfi(2399 without LPS)- based on that the Schiit is even cheaper(2299)... So for me they are both competing products and comparisons are called for. i think that will be helpful for any future customers

Aug 29, 2015 at 6:41 PM Post #9,080 of 13,800
the MSRP of Xfi(2399 without LPS)- based on that the Schiit is even cheaper(2299)... So for me they are both competing products and comparisons are called for. i think that will be helpful for any future customers

However, the Xfi has an amplifier section, and therefore can't be said to necessarily be meant to compete at the same level as a standalone DAC.

Aug 29, 2015 at 9:02 PM Post #9,082 of 13,800

You're comparing a single-purpose item (Yggy) to a device that is meant to perform multiple tasks (Pulse). While not always the case, it's not uncommon to see a device built for a single task outperform a multi-purpose device in the same role. I'll use the ALO Rx as an example. Sure there are many portable amps around the same price as the Rx, but I've yet to see a competing amp, one designed to handle a wide range of headphones with a gain toggle, outperform the Rx when it comes to IEMs. It's a single-purpose device that is insanely good at that one purpose. It doesn't have to worry about flexibility, and as a result it's a master of its trade.

The DAC in the Pulse Infinity is no slouch, and I doubt any who have heard it will contest that statement. But it comes with several features that you won't find on an Yggy because the Yggdrasil isn't meant to be that type of component. It's a dedicated DAC that's damned good at what it does, and every penny you invest into the Yggy is going towards the DAC. With the Pulse, the purchase price has been split across the various functions with the majority going towards the DAC, but not all.

That's all even before you consider what the street price of the devices will be. Buy a used Pulse in the for-sale threads and you'll pay around the same as what the seller backed for the device. Buy a used Yggy and you'll pay a bit less than MSRP. Someone looking to snag a Pulse will be able to get a used one for a good deal less than an Yggdrasil, which has a similar MSRP, making it a more likely candidate for someone on a budget. If cost is of no consequence, perhaps a Light Harmonic Da Vinci is in store.

I guess in a lot of words I'm saying that I personally don't see them as competing products. In my experience, an all-in-one will rarely topple a well-designed single-function DAC.

Aug 29, 2015 at 9:30 PM Post #9,083 of 13,800

They're completely different beasts, but given the choice between the two I'd prefer the Yggdrasil as my DAC because it's an R2R. You have to keep in mind that the Yggy is more than twice many backed for a Pulse X Infinity. It's nearly 3x the price for those who got the best deal on the Infinity.

And... the Infinity lets you wait for one and a half year.

Aug 29, 2015 at 9:57 PM Post #9,085 of 13,800
  I would be damn surprised that if the Infinity can compete with Gungnir Multi Bit, which is similar in size and price. 

Just like the Yggy, they're two different beasts. A multibit R2R DAC will sound different than any DS DAC. Both have advantages, so it's up to the listener which type they'll prefer. I wouldn't be surprised to hear some prefer the Infinity's ES9018AQ2M implementation over that of a NOS PCM1704 or the more modern AD5791BRUZ. Everyone has their tastes.

I'm glad to see R2R DACs making a resurgence in the market, it's been under-spoken over the past few years.

Aug 29, 2015 at 10:04 PM Post #9,086 of 13,800

Just like the Yggy, they're two different beasts. A multibit R2R DAC will sound different than any DS DAC. Both have advantages, so it's up to the listener which type they'll prefer. I wouldn't be surprised to hear some prefer the Infinity's ES9018AQ2M implementation over that of a NOS PCM1704 or the more modern AD5791BRUZ. Everyone has their tastes.

I'm glad to see R2R DACs making a resurgence in the market, it's been under-spoken over the past few years.

Why do you keep saying they're different? I don't want to start DS vs R2R discussion as there is a thread for it. They of course will sound differently, different DS dac will sound differently what's so surprise?

A DAC is a DAC, it converts digital signal to analog one. People will compare them if they serve the same purpose.

Aug 29, 2015 at 10:08 PM Post #9,087 of 13,800

Why do you keep saying they're different? I don't want to start DS vs R2R discussion as there is a thread for it. They of course will sound differently, different DS dac will sound differently what's so surprise?

A DAC is a DAC, it converts digital signal to analog one. People will compare them if they serve the same purpose.

Umm, because they are different? Just like tubes versus solid state, DS vs R2R preference depends on two things IMO:1) the implementation (I've heard crap versions of both), and 2) the listeners personal preferences. The only way to know for sure is to listen to a bunch of stuff and see what you like. 

Personally my 2-channel setup utilizes an R2R DAC and tubed mono-blocks, while my desktop headphone rig is a highly refined DS through a SS amp. Finally my reference portable setup is DS with tubes. Go figure. 

Cheers 

Aug 29, 2015 at 11:51 PM Post #9,089 of 13,800
That settles it then...sell the house, buy the Da Vinci!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back