Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
May 16, 2015 at 12:36 AM Post #7,291 of 13,800
Weird, I just got a PayPal bill for shipping for my infinity. I thought shipping was included for pulses sent to the continental US.

Same here.

Which Infinity chassis did you go for? New/Old.

What's annoying is that they mentioned that the Infinity will be shipped in the Old chassis in the invoice when i clearly mentioned New chassis n the survey form.

May 16, 2015 at 10:10 AM Post #7,294 of 13,800
Gina responded to my mail on the extra shipping rate thusly:

"It was decided by Larry to charge shipping for the Pulse X Infinity because this upgrade was not available in the original campaign and was implanted in the Pulse Forever Funding/InDemand campaigns. This is the cost we pay for shipping your item to you. You have been credited the $40 you paid additionally for international shipping. What you are paying for is the difference of what shipping is costing us. We will be using USPS Global Express which is a better service to track your shipment and ease with going through customs. Your package is guaranteed to be delivered to your door."

So it's the difference between USPS International and USPS Global Express shipping rates, which makes sense. Just wish they would communicate this first before sending invoicing.

May 16, 2015 at 10:26 AM Post #7,295 of 13,800
just curious, how did* you know that you have a problem with impedance? O.O

I have golden ears...

I didn't know it was specifically an impedance problem until they told me after looking at it. To me it sounded like parts of the mix were really far back and echoey. I thought it was a soldering issue since it sounded a bit like when I flubbed the ground wire of a cable I built a long time ago.

May 16, 2015 at 10:36 AM Post #7,296 of 13,800

"It was decided by Larry to charge shipping for the Pulse X Infinity because this upgrade was not available in the original campaign and was implanted in the Pulse Forever Funding/InDemand campaigns. This is the cost we pay for shipping your item to you. You have been credited the $40 you paid additionally for international shipping. What you are paying for is the difference of what shipping is costing us. We will be using USPS Global Express which is a better service to track your shipment and ease with going through customs. Your package is guaranteed to be delivered to your door."

So it's the difference between USPS International and USPS Global Express shipping rates, which makes sense. Just wish they would communicate this first before sending invoicing.

What about the handling charge?

May 16, 2015 at 12:36 PM Post #7,298 of 13,800

i really wish they would tell us schiit like this upfront in official announcements. they can spam us with billions of announcements about totally unrelated nonsense but a change in shipping method is not important enough to tell us? 

May 16, 2015 at 1:42 PM Post #7,299 of 13,800

Maybe they couldn't insure the package with the other service too? Is there a maximum value for the insurance?

On a different note, I just learned how you need to leave the Pulse on at all time. It did remove a significant bit of harshness that was present around 8k. Now the top end is glassy smooth, which is important when you listen to mainly metal like I do. Now, my Sfi with my HE-500 sounds really awesome.

May 16, 2015 at 2:03 PM Post #7,300 of 13,800
I think they went with the Global Express just because a lot of us wanted to be able to track the package at every stage. In a lot of countries, tracking stops once that country's postal service takes over.

I think the Sfi probably sounds better because the Femto clocks achieve thermal equilibrium. I think Larry had mentioned somewhere that it takes at least 30 minutes to 1 hour for the Femto clocks to sound good.

May 17, 2015 at 1:09 AM Post #7,302 of 13,800
Don't install the GO driver for the Pulse. You will probably brick it.

Go to the LH Labs forum -> click Support tab -> click on "Geek Pulse" image -> Follow the instructions below on that page

May 17, 2015 at 1:52 AM Post #7,303 of 13,800
I see. I did it and it worked. Also, just to clarify, you only need to set up the geek pulse with jriver if you are going to use dsd right? Also, I installed firmware ver 2.3 but when I check the firmware on the geek pulse unit it says it is ver 2.0

May 17, 2015 at 2:12 AM Post #7,304 of 13,800
How does this dac compared with much more expensive ones?
After all this was the hype, but nobody tests its like that.
I want them to put the money where their mouth is, because if you look at the vanilla pulse board, it doesn't look like a 500$ design, not to mention 1000$+.

On a side note, the funny thing is that so-called-audiophiles can't discern between a mainboard PC DAC and a Benchmark DAC2 HGC: 
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/high-end-pc-audio,3733-19.html

LHLabs, next time, build the 100$ best-you-can-buy, this will be "for the masses", and be honest with the BOM. 100$ for 4 resistors, it's not honest.

May 17, 2015 at 2:49 AM Post #7,305 of 13,800
Don't install the GO driver for the Pulse. You will probably brick it.

Go to the LH Labs forum -> click Support tab -> click on "Geek Pulse" image -> Follow the instructions below on that page

Hey Nicolo, perhaps you should study and understand the difference between 'driver' and 'firmware'. Using the wrong driver will not brick your Pulse or Geek Out. Updating the device with the wrong firmware will almost certainly brick it!

J.P.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back