Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Jan 9, 2015 at 11:32 AM Post #4,426 of 13,800
I still have the same issue with my Geek Out 1K and Special Edition...if I disconnect and reconnect to my PC, the default is maximum volume. I did upgrade the firmware when the change from "awesomefier" to filter was made for the buttons. I use JRiver 19, and the volume in JRiver, and the PC master volume doesn't do anything, the only working volume while using the GO is the LH slider in the LH app. Never have figured out how to change this, the LH site is useless for this, I love the sound (especially the LH), but this has honestly kept me from buying another Pulse/LPS (don't worry for LH labs, I already am in for the Soul Tube, Source and Wave, but I was, and still am considering another Pulse of 1 flavor or another as a desktop unit, bought the CEntrance M8 LX instead...)

Jan 9, 2015 at 12:26 PM Post #4,427 of 13,800
I got to stop by LH Labs at CES. They weren't in the audio hospitality suites, which is where they frankly should have been set up. Instead they were in the giant main hall of miscellaneous and small vendors. They had a laptop with an LPS 4, Pulse, and LCD-XC headphones. There was also an X or Xfi unit that was not connected. There were also shells for the Soul and Wave on the table. Most of the crew you would recognize was there at the 'booth' table.
The hall was so loud I put the demo phones on for a few seconds and gave up. The hall was loud, the music was loud, and there was no sense in it at all.
I mentioned that I was one of the original backers of the first campaign, and upgraded to X and Xfi and backed the Wave and other perks and upgrades. I basically got a response of 'oh, you didn't upgrade to infinity version? You should have gotten an LPS4...' Finally Larry stepped in and said that I would be very happy, so that was something. Otherwise response from LH Labs in person was the same as here and elsewhere: terrible.
I did ask on all of our behalf when the X and Xfi units were shipping. They said that people who upgraded at the end of the campaign got a new position at the end of the line based on the last thing you backed (I was shocked speechless and literally respond to that). Then Larry jumped in and said not to worry that they had stock for the units, they just needed to sort through all the data to make sure people were sent what they actually backed and upgraded over time.
Seeing how long it has taken them to sort through backer data in the past and how professional the staff wasn't (aside from Larry, for whom I have a newfound sense of respect), I wouldn't expect anything this month.

The bright side is that any delay would allow them time to fix the volume issue. 

Facetiousness aside, I'd rather wait to have a proper unit than one that would be potentially damaging.

But it would be refreshing if there's a little more transparency on what's happening, and come out saying "we're sorry, we're slipping our targets, but this is the right reason we're doing this..." etc.

Jan 9, 2015 at 1:38 PM Post #4,428 of 13,800
  Have mac users had this problem too?  Or only windows?

Is it an issue if the volume control is set to not use the USB v. use the USB and not the knob?

I've had this issue also and I use a Mac. If you never close your computer or playback software you're good. But any time you shut down the computer or close then open whatever program you use for playback the volume issue can happen. I've trained myself to turn on the Pulse, and manually adjust the volume a few clicks so I don't get blown out. And this can happen no matter what volume selection you're suing, USB or knob. It's an inconvenience for sure and one I hope LH will address as they did with the GO. 

Jan 9, 2015 at 1:43 PM Post #4,429 of 13,800
I got to stop by LH Labs at CES. They weren't in the audio hospitality suites, which is where they frankly should have been set up. Instead they were in the giant main hall of miscellaneous and small vendors. They had a laptop with an LPS 4, Pulse, and LCD-XC headphones. There was also an X or Xfi unit that was not connected. There were also shells for the Soul and Wave on the table. Most of the crew you would recognize was there at the 'booth' table.
The hall was so loud I put the demo phones on for a few seconds and gave up. The hall was loud, the music was loud, and there was no sense in it at all.
I mentioned that I was one of the original backers of the first campaign, and upgraded to X and Xfi and backed the Wave and other perks and upgrades. I basically got a response of 'oh, you didn't upgrade to infinity version? You should have gotten an LPS4...' Finally Larry stepped in and said that I would be very happy, so that was something. Otherwise response from LH Labs in person was the same as here and elsewhere: terrible.
I did ask on all of our behalf when the X and Xfi units were shipping. They said that people who upgraded at the end of the campaign got a new position at the end of the line based on the last thing you backed (I was shocked speechless and literally respond to that). Then Larry jumped in and said not to worry that they had stock for the units, they just needed to sort through all the data to make sure people were sent what they actually backed and upgraded over time.
Seeing how long it has taken them to sort through backer data in the past and how professional the staff wasn't (aside from Larry, for whom I have a newfound sense of respect), I wouldn't expect anything this month.

Ugh. I hate hearing that you were responded to this way by staff in the LH booth. And that they're giving incomplete and seemingly conflicting information. The show should be an opportunity to put some confidence in those that stop by and solid relationships. Not alienate backers and customers. 

Jan 9, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #4,430 of 13,800

Very sorry to hear about your poor experience at our CES booth.  I'd be more than happy to meet with you in person and discuss whatever issues or questions you might have that have not been communicated clearly enough.  Unfortunately I have not been able to be at our booth for the majority of the show but I do plan on being in the general area of the Venetian if you're free today.  

Shoot me a PM and we can set something up.

Jan 9, 2015 at 2:02 PM Post #4,431 of 13,800

Very sorry to hear about your poor experience at our CES booth.  I'd be more than happy to meet with you in person and discuss whatever issues or questions you might have that have not been communicated clearly enough.  Unfortunately I have not been able to be at our booth for the majority of the show but I do plan on being in the general area of the Venetian if you're free today.  

Shoot me a PM and we can set something up.

It would have been really nice if there had been the ability for community members to request these sorts of meetings in advance. Perhaps there was and I just missed it(?). 

For the general public walking by the booth, it was a poor showing for sure (as I commented earlier). For actual backers and community members, perhaps my experience was unique. What was said was extremely clear, make no mistake about that. There was no confusion.

I'm not interested in making the effort to have even more dialogue on this with the LH Labs team. I know I am not alone in my fatigue in trying to force a better relationship as a backer. 

Jan 9, 2015 at 2:29 PM Post #4,433 of 13,800
Gee, wonder where the Soul fits in to all this...
Oh well, not much to do but wait.

Jan 9, 2015 at 2:36 PM Post #4,434 of 13,800
I'm really disappointed in the report from the show, but seems they are better on the PR end than the customer service/relations front. They even started a thread on their site, something along the lines of "Tell Us What We're Doing Wrong", or something like that, a vent thread as so much was appearing on the regular threads. Seems that not much has changed, though. They seem to be more likely to get back later in an effort at "damage control" than managing things nicely or promptly the first time. You can give them a partial pass, say they are overwhelmed by the rapid success, and the difficulty of now getting multiple versions of multiple products to market. But, one of the problems with internet purchases, no dealer, is not having that support network if you need it. You do save money, but sometimes it costs you in other ways (having some problems along the same lines with another manufacturer, so it is not unique to LH)>
(And, I'm still trying to figure out if there is a way to got the Geek Out (and, it seems the Pulse does the same thing) not to default to maximum volume, or to be able to enable volume control from something other than the LH App).

Jan 9, 2015 at 3:38 PM Post #4,436 of 13,800
I'm sure it will sound great, and you will really enjoy it. I really like the sound of the Geek Out 1k, and the GO Special Edition is so much better than the 1K, the full Pulse upgrade should be a great listening experience indeed, enoy!

I'm ok with their recent handling of everything. I was promptly contacted to upgrade my THD to the infinity. The status page shows a hopeful ship date of sometime next week, and my GO1000 and LPS absolutely rock.

The Pulse ~ will be my first high end DAC/Amp, so it will be an exciting experience.

Jan 9, 2015 at 3:58 PM Post #4,437 of 13,800

So, just to be clear...did you come away with the impression that early backers who added upgrades later on would lose their place in the build queue..?

From the past 12+ months on the LH forum, I've developed the impression that Larry is a level-headed, highly knowledgeable designer who is truly interested in producing a fine product. It's just a shame the company's marketing is so at odds with that approach. I reckon there could have been a lot less focus on hard sell and manipulative marketing and a lot more on Larry himself and his ideas - in this customer's eyes at least, he's their biggest asset by a mile, both technically and in terms of marketing the brand.

Jan 9, 2015 at 5:12 PM Post #4,439 of 13,800
LH labs so far... Too many talk  only a few results. 
frown.gif

Jan 9, 2015 at 5:15 PM Post #4,440 of 13,800

It would have been really nice if there had been the ability for community members to request these sorts of meetings in advance. Perhaps there was and I just missed it(?). 

For the general public walking by the booth, it was a poor showing for sure (as I commented earlier). For actual backers and community members, perhaps my experience was unique. What was said was extremely clear, make no mistake about that. There was no confusion.

I'm not interested in making the effort to have even more dialogue on this with the LH Labs team. I know I am not alone in my fatigue in trying to force a better relationship as a backer. 

Sorry, but seriously? You have a great original point that the people in the booth did not meet even basic expectations for visitors but then Casey reaches out to you personally and tries to make amends and you turn your nose up at it? You have every right to be frustrated with your original treatment but now it just sounds like sour grapes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back