Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Jan 10, 2015 at 3:44 PM Post #4,456 of 13,800

Sorry to break the flow here on the LPS(and 4) buzzing, but I am curious.
Has anyone in the US (or even Australia) heard anything at all from LHL on their Hifiman headphones?
The claim was that they would begin shipping them last Monday. I have got no shipping confirmation nor any headphones.
Typically from CA to here is two to three days... even if they use USPS first class.
I think I was around number 10 on the first round of the bundles for the HE 560.

They are coming home from CES today. Expecting anything from an Audio company during CES is just not realistic.

Jan 10, 2015 at 3:55 PM Post #4,457 of 13,800

Really? They took their entire shipping department?  All they needed to do was to put labels on the boxes and put them into the mail.
In any case, the statements that were made by Casey and by Gavin were that they would start shipping last Monday.
They had to be well aware that some employees would be going to CES..

In any case my question was simply whether anyone else in the US had either got a confirmation or received headphones... not whether LHL had yet another excuse for not doing something on time and per their own statements!

Jan 10, 2015 at 4:17 PM Post #4,458 of 13,800

Really? They took their entire shipping department?  All they needed to do was to put labels on the boxes and put them into the mail.
In any case, the statements that were made by Casey and by Gavin were that they would start shipping last Monday.
They had to be well aware that some employees would be going to CES..

In any case my question was simply whether anyone else in the US had either got a confirmation or received headphones... not whether LHL had yet another excuse for not doing something on time and per their own statements!

After 15 months you are getting worked up over this? Dude relax....

Jan 10, 2015 at 7:31 PM Post #4,459 of 13,800
While I don't want to minimize the importance of clearly setting expectations and good communication, there are whole industries that revolve around the challenges of logistics, of moving lots of things from here to there. Boiling down the hundreds (or thousands) or orders and variants of orders to simply putting on a stamp and dropping in the mail seems overly simple.

Jan 11, 2015 at 12:38 AM Post #4,460 of 13,800
Did you guys see this review of an upcoming Audio Technica dac/amp?  I hope we get some reviews like this of the geek pulse/xfi/infinite.  It's so detailed and well organized with comparisons of competing gear.  LH Labs should mail this guy a pulse review model

http://www.head-fi.org/t/749555/sneak-peek-of-audio-technica-at-ha5050h-pre-production-unit

Jan 11, 2015 at 10:54 AM Post #4,461 of 13,800
And you can use two USB Type A ports, one for power and one for Data, on a laptop or PC and get an adapter (Female USB Type B to Female Type A that the cable and GO plug into.  You can also use a Linear Power Supply or a Battery to supply power for the power leg.

2G cable:

1) First Male USB Type A on cable with black strip (Power leg) plugs into female USB Type A on PC, LPS or Battery
2) Second USB Type A on cable no black strip (Data leg) plugs into another female USB Type A on PC or Music source
3) Male USB Type B on cable plugs into USB adapter > Female Type B to Female Type A > connects with Geek Out

I use this setup every day.

Thanks for the tip

Jan 11, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #4,462 of 13,800
  Did you guys see this review of an upcoming Audio Technica dac/amp?  I hope we get some reviews like this of the geek pulse/xfi/infinite.  It's so detailed and well organized with comparisons of competing gear.  LH Labs should mail this guy a pulse review model

http://www.head-fi.org/t/749555/sneak-peek-of-audio-technica-at-ha5050h-pre-production-unit

Drooling! 
Looks like a mini accuphase 
eek.gif

Me want!

Jan 11, 2015 at 3:05 PM Post #4,464 of 13,800
So, I am afraid my Pulse is malfunctioning.

It started with little pops during play.  Kind of like an LP pop.

But then it started halting altogether.  It can no longer play for more than half an hour without freezing.  (And at 88K, apparently takes only a few minutes.)  When it halts, foobar playback freezes too.  If I stop foobar and play again, I get "Unrecoverable playback error: Could not create ASIO buffers".  I have to reset the Pulse for it to play again.  Also, in this frozen state, when I turn the Pulse down, the pop is loud enough for the protection circuit of my power amp to trigger and shut it down.

I have reinstalled the driver with no effect.  The problem happens the same in ASIO, WSAPI, and DS (except that in DS I don't get the "Unrecoverable playback error: Could not create ASIO buffers" message).  My system works fine with my other DACs.

I don't see how this can be related, but all this started happening when I decided to give the SPDIF input a try.

Any ideas?

[]s
Walfredo

Jan 11, 2015 at 3:49 PM Post #4,465 of 13,800

Drooling! 
Looks like a mini accuphase 
eek.gif

Me want!

That sure is pretty... I have always had an affection for Audio Technica gear and the brand even though I have not owned anything up until now. Just browsing their stuff at Yodobashi or Bic Camera makes me feel like it is something special. But I don't just want to get anything from Audio Technica just for the sake of it. I guess I am waiting for a product from them that will blow me away and that can confirm my high esteem for the brand. This DAC/amp might be it, or the new W1000Z, which I hope to hear on my next trip to Japan. I just hope that they don't price this at $6000 as the reviewer mentions and hope it will be significantly cheaper in Japan so we can order it directly from there like usual with Japanese gear. Thanks for the post uncola! 

Jan 11, 2015 at 4:06 PM Post #4,466 of 13,800
I got to stop by LH Labs at CES. They weren't in the audio hospitality suites, which is where they frankly should have been set up. Instead they were in the giant main hall of miscellaneous and small vendors. They had a laptop with an LPS 4, Pulse, and LCD-XC headphones. There was also an X or Xfi unit that was not connected. There were also shells for the Soul and Wave on the table. Most of the crew you would recognize was there at the 'booth' table.
The hall was so loud I put the demo phones on for a few seconds and gave up. The hall was loud, the music was loud, and there was no sense in it at all.
I mentioned that I was one of the original backers of the first campaign, and upgraded to X and Xfi and backed the Wave and other perks and upgrades. I basically got a response of 'oh, you didn't upgrade to infinity version? You should have gotten an LPS4...' Finally Larry stepped in and said that I would be very happy, so that was something. Otherwise response from LH Labs in person was the same as here and elsewhere: terrible.
I did ask on all of our behalf when the X and Xfi units were shipping. They said that people who upgraded at the end of the campaign got a new position at the end of the line based on the last thing you backed (I was shocked speechless and literally respond to that). Then Larry jumped in and said not to worry that they had stock for the units, they just needed to sort through all the data to make sure people were sent what they actually backed and upgraded over time.
Seeing how long it has taken them to sort through backer data in the past and how professional the staff wasn't (aside from Larry, for whom I have a newfound sense of respect), I wouldn't expect anything this month.

Is it really that surprising? Larry is the designer, the other ones are business people that are in there to make money, especially after a campaign that was this successful. Money brings greed, with more money, more greed. Don't worry, the only thing that matter is if the product will be good and considering the Geek Out sounds good, we shouldn't worry too much.

Jan 11, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #4,467 of 13,800
I got to stop by LH Labs at CES. They weren't in the audio hospitality suites, which is where they frankly should have been set up. Instead they were in the giant main hall of miscellaneous and small vendors. They had a laptop with an LPS 4, Pulse, and LCD-XC headphones. There was also an X or Xfi unit that was not connected. There were also shells for the Soul and Wave on the table. Most of the crew you would recognize was there at the 'booth' table.

The hall was so loud I put the demo phones on for a few seconds and gave up. The hall was loud, the music was loud, and there was no sense in it at all.

I mentioned that I was one of the original backers of the first campaign, and upgraded to X and Xfi and backed the Wave and other perks and upgrades. I basically got a response of 'oh, you didn't upgrade to infinity version? You should have gotten an LPS4...' Finally Larry stepped in and said that I would be very happy, so that was something. Otherwise response from LH Labs in person was the same as here and elsewhere: terrible.

I did ask on all of our behalf when the X and Xfi units were shipping. They said that people who upgraded at the end of the campaign got a new position at the end of the line based on the last thing you backed (I was shocked speechless and literally respond to that). Then Larry jumped in and said not to worry that they had stock for the units, they just needed to sort through all the data to make sure people were sent what they actually backed and upgraded over time.

Seeing how long it has taken them to sort through backer data in the past and how professional the staff wasn't (aside from Larry, for whom I have a newfound sense of respect), I wouldn't expect anything this month.

Is it really that surprising? Larry is the designer, the other ones are business people that are in there to make money, especially after a campaign that was this successful. Money brings greed, with more money, more greed. Don't worry, the only thing that matter is if the product will be good and considering the Geek Out sounds good, we shouldn't worry too much.

Not sure I agree with this...sure, enjoying the sound of the player is the main thing in the end, but, you are dealing with someone who is already a PAYING CUSTOMER, has put what is not insignificant money into LH and it's promised products, and, to get nothing but the feeling of recriminations, that you made a mistake not going higher in the LH chain (except for Larry), I think is bad manners and bad business (salesmen are not exempt from some manners, and should be congratulating a backer instead of trying to guilt/worry him into buying more). It does have a bit of the feel of the Indiegogo campaign to it, but I don't blame Ultimate Mango, and the subsequent attempts to make amends were deserved imo (I might have taken them up on the later meeting, but I wasn't there, I could also have been as angry...)
Just my $0.02 as a substantial backer myself.

Jan 11, 2015 at 4:35 PM Post #4,468 of 13,800

But then it started halting altogether.  It can no longer play for more than half an hour without freezing.  (And at 88K, apparently takes only a few minutes.)  When it halts, foobar playback freezes too.  If I stop foobar and play again, I get "Unrecoverable playback error: Could not create ASIO buffers".  I have to reset the Pulse for it to play again.  Also, in this frozen state, when I turn the Pulse down, the pop is loud enough for the protection circuit of my power amp to trigger and shut it down.

I have reinstalled the driver with no effect.  The problem happens the same in ASIO, WSAPI, and DS (except that in DS I don't get the "Unrecoverable playback error: Could not create ASIO buffers" message).  My system works fine with my other DACs.

I don't see how this can be related, but all this started happening when I decided to give the SPDIF input a try.

Any ideas?

[]s
Walfredo

That's quite worrisome.
I'm sure you have already went to LHLabs with this? I hope they or someone else here is able to help you with it.

Jan 11, 2015 at 10:05 PM Post #4,469 of 13,800

Any ideas?

[]s
Walfredo

That's quite worrisome.
I'm sure you have already went to LHLabs with this? I hope they or someone else here is able to help you with it.

Just opened a ticket with LH.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back