Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Nov 21, 2013 at 2:53 AM Post #316 of 13,800
I read that as the Geek Pulse X having NO USB input?

As much as I want balanced outputs, I'm not sure its worth the extra cash? At least for me - I'd still want unbalanced outputs too.

Nov 21, 2013 at 2:54 AM Post #317 of 13,800
I don't understand, so now Geek pulse not XLR out? We need to buy Pulse X at 3 time more price if we want balance out??

And Larry, why is it not possible to add the DSD DoP SPDIF input? It is the design group do not have the technology to do it?

Nov 21, 2013 at 3:24 AM Post #318 of 13,800
I hope they are not going to downgrade the Geek Pulse. LH labs said the internal circuit of Geek Pulse was fully balanced from beginning all the way before headphone driver. The announcement of Geek Pulse X makes me think that they will do balance only on the X.

Nov 21, 2013 at 3:28 AM Post #319 of 13,800
Quite a bitter pill to swallow, this topping up business. Balanced output only without any unbalanced out is a bad idea, it gives us less versatility. Yet we have to pay extra money? Doesn't make any sense to me. If they want to do balanced, then have both balanced AND unbalanced. Then the extra cost would be justified properly.

There's no other dacs around that have balanced out only, without unbalanced. Why break this trend (in a bad way)? I get that the balanced version costs more, parts-wise, fine. Just don't take away the unbalanced connectivity while they're at it. Quite disappointed, to say the least.

Nov 21, 2013 at 3:34 AM Post #320 of 13,800
  Quite a bitter pill to swallow, this topping up business. Balanced output only without any unbalanced out is a bad idea, it gives us less versatility. Yet we have to pay extra money? Doesn't make any sense to me. If they want to do balanced, then have both balanced AND unbalanced. Then the extra cost would be justified properly.

There's no other dacs around that have balanced out only, without unbalanced. Why break this trend (in a bad way)? I get that the balanced version costs more, parts-wise, fine. Just don't take away the unbalanced connectivity while they're at it. Quite disappointed, to say the least.

100% agree. I'm a bit uneasy now about my investment. I was under the impression that the overall design was finalized and that the quality of this product was the highest possible (with value in mind of course). I now feel LH is taking advantage of how big this movement has become... not liking the direction LH is going with this product line. 

Nov 21, 2013 at 3:52 AM Post #321 of 13,800
The Geek Oulse's enclosure size is small. How many parts can it fit?
I dont mind the size a bit bigger so that it has more features. For $500, I would have just bought a Cectrance M8, if I want to drive my headphone balance. 

Nov 21, 2013 at 3:58 AM Post #322 of 13,800
100% agree. I'm a bit uneasy now about my investment. I was under the impression that the overall design was finalized and that the quality of this product was the highest possible (with value in mind of course). I now feel LH is taking advantage of how big this movement has become... not liking the direction LH is going with this product line. 

Larry will make balanced out for the amp section, and going the dual mono path. That justify the cost of the X. Howeverif you (me included) would like the balanced out for the dac only on the standard pulse, i agree that should not increase the cost. The problem is there enough vote for that for Lhlabs to change?

Nov 21, 2013 at 4:27 AM Post #323 of 13,800
dual-mono.. cool.. that's what my portable amp, the Neco V4, has (though its output is single-ended/unbalanced).  It offers terrific stereo separation and power.

Nov 21, 2013 at 4:37 AM Post #324 of 13,800
The Pulse X thing make me feel that this is a much better buy.

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.91.GtoXop&id=21710800457&_u=l1o2v3kpeb84

Above using Dual WM8741 XMOS

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.52.Ye5CNl&id=18012850492&_u=l1o2v3kpa2a5

Above using ES9018 Sabre Reference 32bit

If the Chinese can make a USB DSD at $275 USD, with so many fund in hand, the $600 price tags seem too much for me, I sure we can get a very good headphone amp with the additional money after purchase the China DAC.

Unless the Geek pulse X have some feature that most USD DSD DAC don't have , for example the DSD DoP SPDIF and AES/EBU...

Nov 21, 2013 at 5:27 AM Post #325 of 13,800
For me its not just price or numbers.

Am contended already with the current Pulse.

BUT.. Geek Pulse X w/ usb and additional 1/4 single ended output next to Balanced. Will make me one happy monkey.

Nov 21, 2013 at 5:28 AM Post #326 of 13,800
Larry will make balanced out for the amp section, and going the dual mono path. That justify the cost of the X. Howeverif you (me included) would like the balanced out for the dac only on the standard pulse, i agree that should not increase the cost. The problem is there enough vote for that for Lhlabs to change?

Double the internal need to triple the selling price?

Even double the selling price also don't make sense to me.......not everything is double cost when go balance---chassis, wire, power supply , PCB board etc....

Nov 21, 2013 at 5:44 AM Post #327 of 13,800
For me its not just price or numbers.

Am contended already with the current Pulse.

BUT.. Geek Pulse X w/ usb and additional 1/4 single ended output next to Balanced. Will make me one happy monkey.

I'm pretty sure the Geek Pulse X will still have USB input - it was never mentioned that this would be taken off ... and why would they ?  Most people will be using this with a computer, whether it is unbalanced or balanced.

Nov 21, 2013 at 5:54 AM Post #328 of 13,800
I don't understand, so now Geek pulse not XLR out? We need to buy Pulse X at 3 time more price if we want balance out??

And Larry, why is it not possible to add the DSD DoP SPDIF input? It is the design group do not have the technology to do it?

Double the internal need to triple the selling price?

Even double the selling price also don't make sense to me.......not everything is double cost when go balance---chassis, wire, power supply , PCB board etc....

How does a change in Retail price from $500 to $699 equate to "triple" the price ??  $500 times three equals $1,500.  If you are going by the current pre-release prices, then $299 versus $439 - an extra $140 ... Three times $299 is $897 ... there is no "triple price" anywhere !

Nov 21, 2013 at 6:23 AM Post #329 of 13,800
I just get inform that the early bird of pulse X is USD $489.

The Geek Pulse is USD$249 for super early birds, while the X is USD$489 for early bird.
So it's 2 x the price.

Earlier I am comparing the $249 with the $695 MSRP.

Not sure where you get $435 , but even is $435 early bird price, it is still $186 more than $249, almost double the price my friend.

Nov 21, 2013 at 6:31 AM Post #330 of 13,800
I just get inform that the early bird of pulse X is USD $489.

The Geek Pulse is USD$249 for super early birds, while the X is USD$489 for early bird.
So it's 2 x the price.

Earlier I am comparing the $249 with the $695 MSRP.

Not sure where you get $435 , but even is $435 early bird price, it is still $186 more than $249, almost double the price my friend.

Let's say you got your Pulse for $249 as a super early bird.  You then add $140 to this to make it a Pulse X ... that is $389 that you have paid altogether ... it is not even nearly "almost double the price" (which would be $498... it is approximately 50% more.  I urge you to read the details again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back