Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Nov 21, 2014 at 6:46 PM Post #2,896 of 13,800

Hello everybody,

What do you think of this : https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/geek-pulse-ultra-high-def-audio-for-your-desktop/contributions/new?perk_amt=698&perk_id=2489966
is it a good opportunuity or not ?

how if compared to :  GEEK PULSE + HIFIMAN 560 at 960 USD ?

which one is the best ?

regards
sam

The more expensive one is obviously better, while the cheaper one is better value. As it usually is with audio stuffs.

From the reviews of these two tho, it seems that the HE-400i is easier to drive while HE-560 is more power hungry, but better overall.
AKA the HE-400i would probably be fine paired with your portable DAP, whilst a HE-560 needs to be driven with enough power.
Assuming that the Pulse can drive the HE-560 comfortably, that should be the better pairing.

I'd say grab that if you have the budget to, it's easily the best improvement overall, much better value than any other upgrade you could pledge for in the campaign.

Nov 21, 2014 at 8:20 PM Post #2,897 of 13,800
RE: Geek Pulse shipments
http://lhlabs.com/force/customer-happiness-post-concerns/2469-this-is-a-long-one-folks#40444

Photos of Pulse and LPS units being shipped:
IMG_3269.jpg

I personally disagree with their decision to silkscreen the LPS on the back, and I would prefer to see the logo on the front for others to see what it is, but I guess that decision can't be changed now.

Nov 21, 2014 at 8:25 PM Post #2,898 of 13,800
RE: Geek Pulse shipments
http://lhlabs.com/force/customer-happiness-post-concerns/2469-this-is-a-long-one-folks#40444

Photos of Pulse and LPS units being shipped:
IMG_3269.jpg

I personally disagree with their decision to silkscreen the LPS on the back, and I would prefer to see the logo on the front for others to see what it is, but I guess that decision can't be changed now.

Oh man that looks nice 
eek.gif
 I can't wait to get my Pulse/LPS 
L3000.gif

Nov 21, 2014 at 9:58 PM Post #2,900 of 13,800
  So just a quick question. Would the geek pulse Sfi be able to properly drive the He-500's or will I have to get a separate amp for it?

HE-500 requires 2.04mW to achieve 90dB SPL.
Let's take 300mW of power, that would be enough to achieve peaks of 111dB SPL
(Note that 110dB is the sound level of a jet flyover at 300m, really loud)

Geek Pulse is stated to have a headphone output with up to 3000mW of power, which should be able to drive the HE-500 fairly easily, as long as it manages to produce ~300mW at the 47Ohm impedance of the headphones.

TL;DR: The Geek Pulse should technically be able to drive the HE-500 comfortably at its stated spec of 3000mW, unless you like your music really loud

Nov 21, 2014 at 10:01 PM Post #2,901 of 13,800
I agree with miceblue. I think the logo looks fine. But would want the display to have white text to match with the white/silver lining.

Has anyone explored purchasing an alternative knob?

Also, can someone remind me about the remote capability stretch goal. We have an IR sensor but will the pulse ship with a remote. There was some mention about the apple remote.

Nov 21, 2014 at 11:46 PM Post #2,904 of 13,800
Note that planars are MUCH more current hungry than dynamic headphones.

Actually, while we're on this topic, for those who don't understand why current is needed:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/how-planar-magnetic-headphone-drivers-work
The importance of the isodynamic field is to ensure that the relationship of current flow to force exerted on the diaphragm is constant regardless of the position of the conductor in its excursions through the field. The quality of the isodynamic field partly determines the linearity, and therefore contributes to the harmonic distortion content of the reproduced sound.

Noting this, how does volume correlate to properly driving a headphone in this case? As in, what does the headphone sound like if it can't produce enough current to create the isodynamic field?

Nov 22, 2014 at 3:34 AM Post #2,905 of 13,800
Light Harmonic 2mt. 2G USB Cable unboxing.

Sent 14-Nov-2014  
Received (Italy) 21-Nov-2014
Notes: Now with full tracking service, last time w/ my Geek Out it took a month ro receive w/ partime (US only) tracking.

Nov 22, 2014 at 8:05 AM Post #2,906 of 13,800
  By popular demand, we're bringing back the HiFiMAN Headphone bundle deal beginning on November 21st at 9AM PST.  We'll be offering the bundle deals for 48 hours only and with no limit on how many can be purchased.  Headphones will begin to ship as soon as we have a final quantity on what we'll be ordering.  

The bundle deal we'll be featuring will be the Geek Pulse + HiFiMAN HE-560 for the IGG only price of $968

This has by far been the most popular bundle deal we've featured in this campaign which in turn makes it a great opportunity for you to to rack up your referral reward payouts by sharing news about this deal with anyone and everyone who cares.  Think Facebook, Twitter, Head-Fi, ComputerAudiophile, Instagram etc. etc. 

Simply paste your IGG link to the Geek Pulse campaign anywhere you plan on sharing and each time someone clicks your link and pledges for any item in the campaign, you'll earn 10%!  

Check out the deals here: http://bit.ly/GeekPulseBundle

Back up again for the combo with 560 or 400
http://bit.ly/GeekPulseBundle

Nov 22, 2014 at 8:29 AM Post #2,907 of 13,800
This is just silly, why promote a 48h only deal when it reoccurs throughout time?! I thought I had to jump on board for this deal but now I feel like I could have just waited a bit to see if something else comes up.

I thought they would offer the deal, close it, contact HifiMAN about it and ship them out. The more they keep doing this deal, the longer backers will have to wait. I don't get it.

Nov 22, 2014 at 8:53 AM Post #2,908 of 13,800

Sent 14-Nov-2014  
Notes: Now with full tracking service, last time w/ my Geek Out it took a month ro receive w/ partime (US only) tracking.

Wow, that's a nice box!
So the products are really starting to reach backers...hmm..interesting.

When you can, post your impressions.
popcorn.gif

Nov 22, 2014 at 8:59 AM Post #2,909 of 13,800

Sent 14-Nov-2014  

Wow, that's a nice box!
So the products are really starting to reach backers...hmm..interesting.

When you can, post your impressions.
popcorn.gif

second that !!
that is a VERY nice job of packaging !! can't wait to here impressions too 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back