Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Nov 14, 2014 at 6:59 PM Post #2,702 of 13,800

we will not need to use the umbilical cord from the LPS to the Geek Pulse, correct?

The pulse needs power and a source (in this case, via USB) from my understanding. This umbilical cord provides power. So yes, you will still need it. I doubt the Pulse can be powered by USB alone. 

The Pulse either uses a Wall Wart or the LPS for power.

Nov 14, 2014 at 7:21 PM Post #2,704 of 13,800
we will not need to use the umbilical cord from the LPS to the Geek Pulse, correct?

The pulse needs power and a source (in this case, via USB) from my understanding. This umbilical cord provides power. So yes, you will still need it. I doubt the Pulse can be powered by USB alone. 

Oh I see. That makes sense now.
LightSpeed 2G just eliminates the need for the two LightSpeed 1G-like cables and that's it.

I started a thread on the LH forums about USB cables, but maybe someone here knows the answer to a question that just came up in my mind. What does USB power have to do with anything if the USB cable being used is only meant for data transfer like from a MacBook to the LPS and from the LPS to the Pulse since the Pulse is powered by the umbilical cord in this case?

The thread I started (if you can chime in, that would help too)
http://lhlabs.com/force/lightspeed-usb/2394-how-do-usb-cable-work-for-audio-applications

Nov 14, 2014 at 9:39 PM Post #2,705 of 13,800
I was expecting more fanfare for the shipping of the Pulse!  LPS got a party.  I'm sure we'll have some impressions and pics up as they start getting delivered soon

Nov 14, 2014 at 9:43 PM Post #2,706 of 13,800
Lightspeed 2G connects to Pulse, and then splits: 1 going to the LPS (for providing power) and the other to the PC, providing Data.

With that in mind, a quick question: Does the data side on the Lightspeed 2G connecting to the computer..completely drop off the power line connection then? Will it not be prone to the power line at the computer. In which case, wouldn't it be better to run 2 cables since LH claims they will remove the power from the USB connection.

Nov 14, 2014 at 9:45 PM Post #2,707 of 13,800
  I was expecting more fanfare for the shipping of the Pulse!  LPS got a party.  I'm sure we'll have some impressions and pics up as they start getting delivered soon

EDIT: pure speculation below....

There is probably a small minority that backed the vanilla willa pulse. Most of us probably have an upgraded version...of which the Xfi version is delayed by 2 weeks (according to Casey..2.5 weeks now). 

Nov 14, 2014 at 9:56 PM Post #2,708 of 13,800

There is probably a small minority that backed the vanilla willa pulse. Most of us probably have an upgraded version...of which the Xfi version is delayed by 2 weeks (according to Casey..2.5 weeks now). 

Just curious, do you have numbers on that? We tend to think that everyone is as obsessed with the pursuit of differences not heard by the vast majority, as we are and with the same reckless disregard for having a realistic, practical budget.

The reality is that the vast majority of music lovers are not so afflicted!
I am a realist. More than likely, IMO... vanilla is king!
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 14, 2014 at 10:18 PM Post #2,709 of 13,800
Here are the numbers:

Here's what we have slated to build in the first round of production. We've padded the numbers so we have some room for failures, and so we can have review samples, etc.

Geek Pulse: 557
Geek Pulse /f: 76
Geek Pulse /i: 49
Geek Pulse /f /i: 101

Geek Pulse S: 15
Geek Pulse S /f: 19
Geek Pulse S /i: 10
Geek Pulse S /f /i: 115

Geek Pulse X: 67
Geek Pulse X /f: 82
Geek Pulse X /i: 18
Geek Pulse X /f /i: 663

Total: 1772

Note that the Geek Pulse S is for early IGG backers only and will not be produced for retail. It's not available on the current IGG campaign page.

Here's the link:

http://lhlabs.com/force/indiegogogeekpulse/1973-pulse-oled-screen-assignment#30954

Edit: Forgot to mention that they are rationalizing the Pulse range to just 3 models: Geek Pulse, Geek Pulse X and Geek Pulse Xfi.
I believe that they have sent mails to people who have ordered variants different to these 3 models, asking them to upgrade to one of these models. For example; a Pulse S buyer would be asked to upgrade to the Pulse X. Not sure how many have done so yet. So while the total number of initial backers would remain the same, the number of buyers will change for the consolidated buckets.

Nov 14, 2014 at 10:19 PM Post #2,710 of 13,800

Just curious, do you have numbers on that? We tend to think that everyone is as obsessed with the pursuit of differences not heard by the vast majority, as we are and with the same reckless disregard for having a realistic, practical budget.
I am a realist. More than likely, IMO... vanilla is king!
evil_smiley.gif

Numbers on the minority you mean? Of course not! I suppose I hear more comments on the Pulse Xfi version or upgraded versions of the plain vanilla and less on those who just bought the vanilla version. 

EDIT: Yup, completely wrong. Thanks nicolo :)

Nov 15, 2014 at 2:01 AM Post #2,714 of 13,800

Just out of curiousity, I opened a ticket asking if they would offer the same price to an original backer....If so, then I may pick up the LPS and an extra lightspeed Jr. 

Thanks.

They don't I asked them the same thing. A couple of days before the Forever Funding campaign went live, they offered me the Pulse for $1199. Thats $200 more than the MSRP for the Pulse in the forever funding campaign.

Nov 15, 2014 at 2:18 AM Post #2,715 of 13,800
  Here are the numbers:

Here's what we have slated to build in the first round of production. We've padded the numbers so we have some room for failures, and so we can have review samples, etc.

Geek Pulse: 557
Geek Pulse /f: 76
Geek Pulse /i: 49
Geek Pulse /f /i: 101

Geek Pulse S: 15
Geek Pulse S /f: 19
Geek Pulse S /i: 10
Geek Pulse S /f /i: 115

Geek Pulse X: 67
Geek Pulse X /f: 82
Geek Pulse X /i: 18
Geek Pulse X /f /i: 663

Total: 1772

Note that the Geek Pulse S is for early IGG backers only and will not be produced for retail. It's not available on the current IGG campaign page.

Here's the link:

http://lhlabs.com/force/indiegogogeekpulse/1973-pulse-oled-screen-assignment#30954

Edit: Forgot to mention that they are rationalizing the Pulse range to just 3 models: Geek Pulse, Geek Pulse X and Geek Pulse Xfi.
I believe that they have sent mails to people who have ordered variants different to these 3 models, asking them to upgrade to one of these models. For example; a Pulse S buyer would be asked to upgrade to the Pulse X. Not sure how many have done so yet. So while the total number of initial backers would remain the same, the number of buyers will change for the consolidated buckets.

The final result is: We are making

Geek Pulse
Geek Pulse fi
Geek Pulse S fi
Geek Pulse X
Geek Pulse X fi

Totally five models.
Larry

Users who are viewing this thread

Back