Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Nov 14, 2014 at 5:45 PM Post #2,686 of 13,800
  Hey guys,

Here's a quick tutorial on using Geek LPS with Geek Pulse & Geek Out.

Thanks for the vid. Nice to see you using the 400i :)

Nov 14, 2014 at 5:50 PM Post #2,688 of 13,800
Nov 14, 2014 at 5:52 PM Post #2,690 of 13,800
Nov 14, 2014 at 5:56 PM Post #2,691 of 13,800

It will be very shortly.  Looking at about 2.5 weeks out.  Larry wants to be 100% content with the board QC.

and lps4, and perks are going out now , correct ? 

Nov 14, 2014 at 5:57 PM Post #2,693 of 13,800
Well that's true longbowbbs. Here's to hoping I ordered an X early enough to have my spot in the line for shipping come up before 2014 is up.

I had to send the review unit back, so I am in line with everyone else now. It'll be nice to have it back on the desktop!

Nov 14, 2014 at 6:02 PM Post #2,694 of 13,800
Congratulations to all those who's products get shipped out today!

I just got to know about Geek Pulse campaign today, so I'm rather new to this but I've already read many hours about it :)
Conclusion: I'm thinking of upgrading the sound at home with one of Geek's products and at first I thought that the Pulse at $399 would be good enough but I would like to confirm with the wise community if I'm making a good decision.

I listen to music with headphones 50% of the time and with stereo sound system 50% of the time so it's important that the dac drives both systems well.

Headphones I use: Fischer Audio FA-003, Sony MDR-V6 & Custorm Art Music Two (ciem)
Soundsystem: Technics SU- 8600 (amp) & Olle Mirch OM 61 (speakers).

At the moment, I'm using a dj controller's dac (16 bit/48 kHz) to make the stereo system's sound a little better - http://www.reloop.com/reloop-mixage-ie-mk2 
Stereo amp (rca) -> (rca) dj controller -> usb -> macbook air (flac music files)
For headphones I sometimes use my old dacs, PA2V2 or Fiio E3.

Would a Geek Pulse be a good improvement to my current system ? I understand that I could use the Pulse for both hearing requirements: headphones + laptop & stereo sound system + laptop.
Or would the Pulse be totally pointless and I should definitely be looking at some other Geek product (Pulse X etc) ?

Just some images of the back of the stereo amp:
http://images10.fotosik.pl/2786/cbfb4ec6b56eb395.jpg
http://audio-database.com/TechnicsPanasonic/amp/su-8600-e.html

Nov 14, 2014 at 6:19 PM Post #2,695 of 13,800
I would think the Pulse would be an improvement. Not many people have heard one yet since they only now just started shipping. So you connect other things to the Technics amp? If not, you might look into just the Geek Out, it would save some $$ and desk space over the Pulse. If you need the RCA outs for other equipment, then the Pulse could work well as a preamp.

The Pulse X is a balanced design and what you currently have would not take advantage of that. So only consider the X if you want to go balanced in the future.

Nov 14, 2014 at 6:52 PM Post #2,696 of 13,800
I would think the Pulse would be an improvement. Not many people have heard one yet since they only now just started shipping. So you connect other things to the Technics amp? If not, you might look into just the Geek Out, it would save some $$ and desk space over the Pulse. If you need the RCA outs for other equipment, then the Pulse could work well as a preamp.

The Pulse X is a balanced design and what you currently have would not take advantage of that. So only consider the X if you want to go balanced in the future.

Thank you very much for such a quick reply, Muinarc!

Yes, I connect other equipment to the Technics when listening through my Mirsch speakers.
Technics amp (rca) -> (rca) dj controller -> usb -> macbook air (flac music files). 
So, along this logic, I was thinking of replacing the current dac (dj controller) with the Pulse.

And to be honest, I dont use the Tehchnics when listening with headphones. It doesn't sound good. So when listening with headphones I currently just use the headphone amps (PA2V2 or Fiio E3) with my laptop.

Yes, I was actually thinking about the Geek Out as well as I understood that the sound should be similar to the Pulse but it costs less. But if I'd like to make my stereo system listening experience better with the Geek Out then I guess I'd have to have Technics rca->3,5mm into the Geek Out -> usb laptop. 
I'm still baffled when I read that the Geek Out probably sounds almost the same when compared to the Pulse. The difference being mostly in the power circuit. The USB bus powers Geek Out. A DC power circuit powers Geek Pulse. But of course, additionally, Geek Pulse has multiple digital inputs and has both a headphone output and a line stage output. 

I don't really use all the rca out's at the same time but the idea of Pulse working as a preamp sounds interesting.
Thank you for the Pulse X heads up. No plans for going balanced at the moment.

Nov 14, 2014 at 6:54 PM Post #2,697 of 13,800
Hey guys,

Here's a quick tutorial on using Geek LPS with Geek Pulse & Geek Out.

Thanks for putting that video together. I think that helps clear some things up for people who are confused about how to hook things up (myself included).

That being said, if we ordered the LightSpeed 2G cable, which has 2 USB A connectors and 1 USB B connector, we will not need to use the umbilical cord from the LPS to the Geek Pulse, correct?

Nov 14, 2014 at 6:57 PM Post #2,700 of 13,800

At least a Head-Fier got to play with one first!

www.headphone.guru/geek-pulse

Longbow. Was this the x or xfi. Would like to hear about the femto...

It was the X-Fi. I have the W4S DAC2 DSDse with Femto as well. It was upgraded to Femto and the Femto's definitely clean things up. The Pulse was very similar to the DAC2. Both have  the ESS Sabre 9018 chips so no surprise,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back