Gee!Now, WA6Se or GS-1?
Apr 11, 2010 at 4:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

superjohny

500+ Head-Fier
Things are just changing so fast,i cannot keep out with my own minds.

since i have just decided to go for gs-1 instead of solo, i came up with another idea. i've already got a x-can v8p, why not trying something different such as a tube amp?

I only have the budget for either one. and i will probably regret not getting the one i missed.

Gee.....however, fully upgraded WA6se will be more expensive than gs-1 and i have to admit i always tend to get more expensive rig though i know it's not necessarily better than the cheaper one. this is such a contradicting thing...

sigh....does anyone else get that kind of feeling??the more research u do the more budget u expand...we choose the amp according to our budget but not what we really need.

Apr 11, 2010 at 8:23 PM Post #3 of 20
If you are seriously interested in a GS-1 now seems to be the time. Justin said in another thread he'll be shipping the backlog out shortly and he'll have some in-stock to fulfill an order. It is a snooze and lose situation as many have waited long times and given up waiting. Seems like you act now and you won't wait long.

Apr 11, 2010 at 11:41 PM Post #4 of 20
I've never heard the WA6SE, but I have heard the DNA Sonett (another well-respected tube amp) and I liked the GS-1 a great deal more. Both sounded excellent though, and you should consider system synergy.

Apr 11, 2010 at 11:50 PM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by itsborken /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you are seriously interested in a GS-1 now seems to be the time. Jason said in another thread he'll be shipping the backlog out shortly and he'll have some in-stock to fulfill an order. It is a snooze and lose situation as many have waited long times and given up waiting. Seems like you act now and you won't wait long.

It's Justin, not Jason
tongue.gif
But I concur, now is the time if you're after a new GS-1, since apparently HeadAmp will have them in stock (so you won't have to go through the ridiculous wait times).

Apr 12, 2010 at 12:10 AM Post #6 of 20
Interesting. If I weren't committed to my Amphora now, I would be all over this. If Justin is able to maintain a relatively brisk output, maybe I'll pick one up again from him. I'm optimistic!
biggrin.gif

Apr 12, 2010 at 12:14 PM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by superjohny /img/forum/go_quote.gif
since i have just decided to go for gs-1 instead of solo, i came up with another idea. i've already got a x-can v8p, why not trying something different such as a tube amp?

Well the V8p has a tube inside, it's a hybrid.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 12, 2010 at 12:26 PM Post #10 of 20
From what I've read of the threads, it seems like the sound has more to do with entire design of the amp rather than being mainly determined by the technology used. Hope someone can give you more feedback.

Apr 12, 2010 at 12:44 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by superjohny /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yea, i was asking whether tube would sound the same to a hybrid in another thread but didn't get a feedback

Short answer is no and how tubey (a somewhat wierd term IMO) or not that it would sound is design dependent

Apr 12, 2010 at 12:49 PM Post #12 of 20
I was in the same boat as you. Sometime ago I choosed between a WA6SE stock + premium tubes or a GS-1 + DACT, got the WA6SE and couldn't be happier with it ! I will not go back to SS, never !
I believe GS-1 will be more precise sounding, but WA6SE sounds sooo enveloping, musical and smooth, it's best thing ever happened to my phones
smily_headphones1.gif

Maybe I will try a GS-1 in a distant future to fullfil my fetish
biggrin.gif
who knows..

Apr 12, 2010 at 2:09 PM Post #13 of 20
I've had both, and surprisingly, they are more similar than different in overall performance.
To my ears, 6SE is not a "tubey" amp.
They are both very very good, and you really can't go wrong with either one.

Apr 12, 2010 at 2:26 PM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by peanuthead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've had both, and surprisingly, they are more similar than different in overall performance.
To my ears, 6SE is not a "tubey" amp.
They are both very very good, and you really can't go wrong with either one.

Did you tried the SP 274B or the EML 5U4G rectifier? Or some NOS RCA big bottle 6EW7 ?
It very euphonic with theese, and sounds tubey to me.
It's not hybrid and it's doesn't have a PCB, tehcnicaly more "tubey" than this cannot be done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back