Garage1217 Project Solstice
Mar 29, 2015 at 8:44 AM Post #32 of 120
As far as 9pin tubes for Ember or Solstice the Amperex Bugle Boys are my favorite the Orange Globes 2nd. I never liked the German or British tubes as much as some members here. To my ears they lack the resolving detail of the Amps. As far as American 9pin 6 or 12v as a general impression I have found Sylvania tubes to be excellent and affordable.  In their  day they were known for quality tubes.

Mar 29, 2015 at 12:14 PM Post #33 of 120
I haven't tried those, i only have a few to begin with.
My fav so far is the 6dj8 GE smoked glass. Very good resolution, depth, layering, extension top to bottom.
With hd800, for good recording music, the sound it produced is astonishing, but for lesser recorded musics, i'd rather use less detailed tube or less detailed headphone. It's too revealing.

Mar 29, 2015 at 12:53 PM Post #34 of 120
Yeah, i also have the 6sn7 converter socket so i am ready to go one day with 6sn7 tube.
Any of the 9 pin tube you like? This question apply for both ember and solstice?

i explore sylvanias family 6ns7.... to date one of the best for me.....

Mar 29, 2015 at 12:55 PM Post #35 of 120
My fav so far is the 6dj8 GE smoked glass. Very good resolution, depth, layering, extension top to bottom.
With hd800, for good recording music, the sound it produced is astonishing, but for lesser recorded musics, i'd rather use less detailed tube or less detailed headphone. It's too revealing.

you will be surprised by the 6ns7 family.... for me its no returm to bugle boy amd amperex orange etc...
redface.gif

Mar 29, 2015 at 10:35 PM Post #37 of 120
Mar 30, 2015 at 4:34 AM Post #38 of 120

Does anyone know if its possible to bypass the input caps with the solstice like you can on the ember and horizon? I've heard a lot of people say this really improves the sound with the only tradeoff being a scratchy vol pot when adjusting the volume level.  

Mar 30, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #39 of 120

These are the ones that Jeremy suggested to me when I purchased my Solstice.  I told him that I liked the 6DJ8 Amperex and asked if he had any Bugle Boys or Orange Globes.  He said, in his opinion, the GE Smoked Glass is the "best of the best" 6DJ8.  As a bonus, it was only $20.  Looking forward to trying it after I get my Solstice assembled.

From the Project Solstice manual:
 Some faint scratch when turning the volpot is normal. This does not indicate a bad volpot – just a micro amount of DC that
is present with certain tubes. This type of scratch is generally only heard with no music playing / rotating the volpot

I wonder if this means it's automatically bypassed?

Mar 31, 2015 at 12:31 AM Post #40 of 120

These are the ones that Jeremy suggested to me when I purchased my Solstice.  I told him that I liked the 6DJ8 Amperex and asked if he had any Bugle Boys or Orange Globes.  He said, in his opinion, the GE Smoked Glass is the "best of the best" 6DJ8.  As a bonus, it was only $20.  Looking forward to trying it after I get my Solstice assembled.

From the Project Solstice manual:

I wonder if this means it's automatically bypassed?

I emailed garage1217 about the input cap bypass and its not an option on the solstice although you can just bypass them with 2 jumper wires. Now I just have to decide between the solstice, ember, and horizon. 

Mar 31, 2015 at 1:56 AM Post #41 of 120

I agree with him. Its good that my taste and his taste are alike. I take whatever he suggest and the result is always good for me ears.

Apr 4, 2015 at 5:21 PM Post #43 of 120
I use a ZMF modded  T50 ortho with my PS using a socket adapter and a Sylvania 12sn7 tube. No lack of power and real smooth tubey sq and great 3d sound stage ( 6sn7/12sn7 tubes have great 3d soundstage ) Same headphone with my more powerful Sciit Lyr 1 pushes out a little more bass but overall I really enjoy the ZMF and PS combo

Apr 5, 2015 at 1:44 PM Post #44 of 120
So you like Solstice better than Lyr? I was trying to find a complimentary tube amp to my Project Polaris, for driving Alpha Dogs, and could not decide between Ember and Lyr2. Both have different features and strengths, so I still haven't decided. And now there is also Solstice, which seems like a great bang for buck. My only doubt is if 1W max is enough for Alpha Dogs? Polaris with it's 2.4W max has plenty of power, I have it mostly on low gain, sometimes mid gain, so I also believe Solstice has enough power. Btw, Polaris sounds so good most of the time that I'm wondering if I need an extra tube amp, but the bug is biting 
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 5, 2015 at 1:46 PM Post #45 of 120
  So you like Solstice better than Lyr? I was trying to find a complimentary tube amp to my Project Polaris, for driving Alpha Dogs, and could not decide between Ember and Lyr2. Both have different features and strengths, so I still haven't decided. And now there is also Solstice, which seems like a great bang for buck. My only doubt is if 1W max is enough for Alpha Dogs? Polaris with it's 2.4W max has plenty of power, I have it mostly on low gain, sometimes mid gain, so I also believe Solstice has enough power. Btw, Polaris sounds so good most of the time that I'm wondering if I need an extra tube amp, but the bug is biting 
smily_headphones1.gif

IMO, the biggest issue with the Lyr is that you need double the tubes of the Ember/Solstice.  You have to pay more for matched pairs, etc.  Having only a single tube really frees you up when tube rolling.  I'm sure there's some sonic benefit to having two matched tubes, but I suspect the difference between the Solstice and the Lyr is far less than the difference between the Solstice and the Polaris.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back