Garage1217 Project Solstice
Feb 24, 2015 at 7:42 AM Post #18 of 120
I have on hand the Polaris  Ember  and Solstice  the 1st two as you mention are 48v ps the Solstice is 24V ps  If you excuse my ignorance(or not) and describe  what you mean by head room I'll try to compare the 3.  Right out of the box the Solstice to my ears sounds more like my P Sunrise coincidently also 24V

Feb 24, 2015 at 5:31 PM Post #19 of 120
Others may have a different definition, but for me, headroom allows the audio to breathe and not compress or become congested when the volume is turned up.  My main relevant experience is with tweaking the power supply rail of tube powered guitar amps, so it could be a bit different.

Thanks for the initial impression because I am wondering whether I should consider going up to the Ember or dropping down to the Sunrise or maybe a Starlight.  I already have a Polaris, where I've tweaked the input attenuation module, and is sounding pretty good at the moment. However, I'm still keen for a tube amp without spending a heap of cash.  I don't need a preamp out, so the Solstice would appear to be ideal if it sounds the same as the Ember.  If it's not quite there sound wise, then maybe the Sunrise or Starlight might be better value for money.

Mar 16, 2015 at 11:59 PM Post #20 of 120
Hi all,

Looking at maybe picking up a Solstice.  I've owned an Ember in the past and, now that I'm considering building my first DIY amp, G1217 was the first thing that came to mind.  I got the Ember to use with my HE-4 but fell in love with it and my HD650.  I eventually sold it to fund other things, but I miss it and kinda want another one.  But it's a bit overkill now that the HE-4 is gone.  I'm thinking the Solstice might just be perfect.

Anyone else picked one up yet and/or heard it?  I'd love some more impressions.

Thx!

Mar 18, 2015 at 9:37 AM Post #21 of 120
The Solstice with the 12sn7 adapter and tube rocks. This is a very impressive Amp with all my hps inc planars  especially considering it's price and small, really small foot print I love my Ember but this amp might actually rise the bar for 1217 amps IMHO

Mar 22, 2015 at 2:15 AM Post #22 of 120
Well I just pulled the trigger on mine.  I got the kit, and it will be my first amp build.  This should be fun!

Mar 22, 2015 at 2:28 AM Post #23 of 120
Well I just pulled the trigger on mine.  I got the kit, and it will be my first amp build.  This should be fun!

Good luck
Let us know how it progresses.

Mar 24, 2015 at 9:27 AM Post #24 of 120
Wanted to get some opinions / suggestions on how project solstice sounds compared to project ember. I have both high imp & lower imp headphones (specifically 600ohm DT880s, and Mad Dog 3.2s). I'm considering getting a tube amp to connect to my Aune T1 (which is currently connected to a Cayin C5). 

Would project solstice or ember work better? as i understand it ember has more voltage right? does that mean if i were to upgrade to an HD800 or LCD3 in the future that ember would power them better? or will solstice suffice for them too?

Mar 24, 2015 at 12:37 PM Post #25 of 120
Wanted to get some opinions / suggestions on how project solstice sounds compared to project ember. I have both high imp & lower imp headphones (specifically 600ohm DT880s, and Mad Dog 3.2s). I'm considering getting a tube amp to connect to my Aune T1 (which is currently connected to a Cayin C5). 

Would project solstice or ember work better? as i understand it ember has more voltage right? does that mean if i were to upgrade to an HD800 or LCD3 in the future that ember would power them better? or will solstice suffice for them too?

I'm interested in the differences between the ember and solstice as well. I'm currently using HD580s and may at some point upgrade to the hd650, I'm trying to decide between the ember, solstice, and bottlehead crack.

Mar 24, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #26 of 120
I'm interested in the differences between the ember and solstice as well. I'm currently using HD580s and may at some point upgrade to the hd650, I'm trying to decide between the ember, solstice, and bottlehead crack.

The ember sounds AMAZING with the hd650, but its overkill on the power. Volume is so low as to flirt with channel imbalance. I had to sell my ember, but I can afford to replace it now. I decided on the solstice to hopefully get the same sound with more play in the volume.

My kit will be here by this weekend, but then I'm going to canjam. I'll report back on the sound next week sometime when I get it built.

Mar 27, 2015 at 8:19 PM Post #28 of 120
an important note about the Ember...... there is a pre amp out in the Ember.... i am not 100 per cent sure but not in the Solstice.....With this pre amp out function i change the sound of my speakers favorably with the tube Ember sound and also i change the sound of my Stax amp simultaneously......I am sure that in sound Ember and Solstice are very good and same quality lightly different....But with a pre amp out function you can change simultaneously the sound of your  powered speakers and if you had Stax system for example  you better the sound of the stax amp with a tube.... This is a serious advantage for Ember...its their flagship at garage 1217 for a reason.... My statement here 
beerchug.gif
is only one reason

Mar 29, 2015 at 12:28 AM Post #30 of 120
Good idea.
I will be feeding my Stax 2170 system with output from Ember to change the sound depending on my mood. Add more body, more or less treble, bass, nice.

With the right interconnect its possible to  listen my He 400 and the stax system and my powered speakers all simultaneously
bigsmile_face.gif
... The Ember is my most precious piece of gear, try the 6ns7 family tube... its superior to all my other tubes...the upgrading of my Swan powered speakers has been fantastic  with the Ember....
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back