Gap Free Playback vs. Non GFP
Jun 8, 2007 at 1:31 PM Post #16 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Febs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Adding a gap between the tracks of Dark Side of the Moon is like adding a 2 second gap in the middle of your favorite song.

or stopping your favorite movie's action sequence for a few seconds. I rarely use the shuffle function and usually listen to albums so gapless is a big plus. I can live with a short gap.

Jun 8, 2007 at 2:11 PM Post #18 of 40
I refuse to buy another DAP unless it is gapless. I've bought many live albums and own many albums that are meant to be gapless. It's about 65% of my collection and growing.

It's annoying to hear that gap and it ruins the moment. It's like some one pausing a song right in the middle over and over. Even the tiniest gap is noticible. If it has a gap it isn't gapless period.

Jun 8, 2007 at 3:17 PM Post #19 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Digitalbath3737 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I refuse to buy another DAP unless it is gapless.

I agree; my current one has gaps, and it annoys me every day. My next one won't. Even the Ipod can do gapless, so I hope the other makers catch up soon. It cannot be that hard to make, and they are losing at least some customers because of it.

And personally I do not think of gapless as a feature - I consider players without gapless to be defective.

Jun 8, 2007 at 3:22 PM Post #20 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by nfsu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You forgot about iPod Shuffle 2nd gen and Rio Karma
smily_headphones1.gif

As far as I read the reviews and comments, the 2G shuffle is NOT gapless. Rio Karma has been discontinued for so long that it is pointless putting it on the list since you can hardly find it.

Jun 8, 2007 at 3:23 PM Post #21 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir Nobax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tried the Zen: Vision once?

That thing isnt fully "Gapless" when you split a song in two, but the gap is REEAALLYY short, i dare to say unnoticeable for most listeners.

Ever listen to actual gapless albums? Gap is gap. 1/10 milisecond gap is a gap. There is no such thing as "almost" gapless.

Jun 8, 2007 at 3:27 PM Post #23 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zakalwe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And personally I do not think of gapless as a feature - I consider players without gapless to be defective.

I second that, wholeheartedly.

Jun 8, 2007 at 7:16 PM Post #25 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zakalwe /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Well said! I know I was pissed when I found out that my first mp3 player (my nano) couldn't play gapless. I bought it assuming that it could. My $30 CD player could play gapless... why not my $250 DAP? I thought there was something defective till I went online to a forum and asked why I had gaps in my albums. I was shocked to find out this was the standard among DAPs.

Jun 8, 2007 at 7:43 PM Post #26 of 40
I recently gave away a fairly new mp3 player because it didn't have gapless. I tried listening to it fora while and found the gaps annoying and distracting to the actual music. I'm back to my 10 year old PCDP again and I refuse to buy a new DAP that does not have gapless, or is at least Rockbox-able.

Gapless is not only necessary for live recordings, there are many soundtracks, concept albums, or just songs that are supposed to flow right into each other that need to have gapless to be fully appreciated.

Jun 8, 2007 at 9:27 PM Post #28 of 40
I cannot do without gapless for one simple reason - Dark Side of the Moon

Jun 8, 2007 at 9:58 PM Post #29 of 40
The Samsung YP-Z5 also does gap-less with the latest firm-ware. I really noticed the switch when the function became available - it was possible to listed to ELP's Pictures at an Exhibition again! Just replaced the Z5 with a Vibez, ruled out alternatives such as the X5 and ZVM because of the lack of gap-less (and having to install another OS doesn't count!)

Jun 8, 2007 at 10:01 PM Post #30 of 40
I dont see the big deal with gapless....even with live concerts or what not. Unless the gap is mid-song its no big deal at least to me. I guess im lucky I dont have that peeve
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back