Gap Free Playback vs. Non GFP
Jun 8, 2007 at 3:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

500+ Head-Fier
Personally I like a gap because it give some time to get ready for different music and styles. Gapless just isn't something I am a big fan off anyone got reasons why they like it?

Jun 8, 2007 at 3:27 AM Post #2 of 40
there are a number of albums that are simply one long string of songs, separated into different tracks. it's useful for listening to these albums. this coming among live recordings, and the album's Sgt. Pepper's and Dark Side of the Moon (I think).

i personally don't care either way. it's not a feature that i MUST have, but if it's available, i won't avoid it either.

Jun 8, 2007 at 4:35 AM Post #4 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by 65535 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Personally I like a gap because it give some time to get ready for different music and styles.

if you are playing a cd with different music and styles on it, the gaps should be in the audio files itself. gapless playback means that gaps aren't added unnecessarily between files. in the case you are describing, the silence should be in the tracks themselves.

Jun 8, 2007 at 5:28 AM Post #5 of 40
I see, In that case Gapless may be good. But how do you know what players have it and don't I own both the A2 and H10 Cowon and iRiver respectively

Jun 8, 2007 at 5:28 AM Post #6 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheChemist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
gapless is basically required for me

x2

Jun 8, 2007 at 5:41 AM Post #7 of 40
Quote:

Personally I like a gap because it give some time to get ready for different music and styles. Gapless just isn't something I am a big fan off anyone got reasons why they like it?

I expect a DAP to faithfully play music as intended by the artist as close as possible, and if the artist recorded their album as gapless album, then a DAP shall play it gaplessly.

When you watch a DVD, what if you have a second or 2 of black screen and cut-off audio every time it changes chapters? Annoying no?

Jun 8, 2007 at 5:44 AM Post #8 of 40
Quote:

I see, In that case Gapless may be good. But how do you know what players have it and don't I own both the A2 and H10 Cowon and iRiver respectively

Not many players are gapless capable out there. So far, here's the list:

1. Apple: iPod 5G and up, nano 2G, gapless with Lame MP3 and AAC
2. Sony: all gapless with Atrac, S70x series gapless with Atrac and AAC
3. Trekstor Vibez: gapless with Lame MP3, OGG, and FLAC
4. Any DAP that you can install rocbox on.

Jun 8, 2007 at 6:04 AM Post #9 of 40
That's right, you H10 can "become" gapless with Rockbox.

Jun 8, 2007 at 7:06 AM Post #10 of 40
You forgot about iPod Shuffle 2nd gen and Rio Karma
smily_headphones1.gif

Gapless is such a great thing: especially while listening to live or unplugged albums. After listening some time on Nano 2nd gen listening on non-gapless player is quite annoying for me.

Jun 8, 2007 at 8:02 AM Post #11 of 40
a good 95% of the albums i own have seamless transitions in between tracks so for me gapless playback is totally necessary, i couldnt live without it. especially as some albums have 50+ tracks, with tracks varying between 10 secs and 2 mins.

gaps drive me crazy, totally detract from the music.

Jun 8, 2007 at 9:23 AM Post #12 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by pata2001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not many players are gapless capable out there. So far, here's the list:

1. Apple: iPod 5G and up, nano 2G, gapless with Lame MP3 and AAC
2. Sony: all gapless with Atrac, S70x series gapless with Atrac and AAC
3. Trekstor Vibez: gapless with Lame MP3, OGG, and FLAC
4. Any DAP that you can install rocbox on.

Tried the Zen: Vision once?

That thing isnt fully "Gapless" when you split a song in two, but the gap is REEAALLYY short, i dare to say unnoticeable for most listeners.

Jun 8, 2007 at 9:50 AM Post #13 of 40
Gapless is a requirement for me, too, for all the reasons already listed above. And, I'm very anal about it. For me, if the transition isn't absolutely perfect, without any clipping or clicks, it doesn't count.

Jun 8, 2007 at 11:41 AM Post #14 of 40
IMHO almost gapless doesn't cut it. Gapless is gapless; gaps are gaps. It's binary. You know you really are gapless when you have an album like Le Fil by Camille, and it's only after several listens that you look at the LCD display and discover that what you assumed was one long song was actually three.

Rockbox!

Jun 8, 2007 at 1:20 PM Post #15 of 40
Quote:

Adding a gap between the tracks of Dark Side of the Moon is like adding a 2 second gap in the middle of your favorite song.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back