Gamma-2 (γ2) DAC Thread
Nov 3, 2009 at 8:05 PM Post #931 of 2,154
This is probably really old news to everyone else, but changing my AC brick had more effect on the sonics than expected: The Motorola cell phone charger (5V, 800 mA, switch-mode) sounded the worst, giving me a rather lean tonal balance. My Apple iPhone charger (via USB) seemed to give me somewhat warmer sonics, but the real surprise was the CUI Inc 5v 300mA regulated linear PS: Loads of bass energy there. I had previously removed the .1 uf film bypass caps from the outputs, thinking they overemphasized the high frequencies, but now I'm thinking of trying them again!

Wondering if there's any point in trying an even quieter power supply, or whether things are right where they need to be?

Nov 3, 2009 at 10:03 PM Post #932 of 2,154
Interesting findings 4season. I always wanted to make (or rather modify the one I already have...) a TREAD for my y1/y2 but never got to it. I have a charger for my cell phone, but I really don't want to plug it in... Are you powering your y2 using USB or the DC jack?

A question, will there be a problem if one of the ferrites (the one closest to the edge on the y1's USB board) was chipped/scraped in the process? This particular ferrite is very very close to the case wall but at the moment isn't making contact, and I'm hoping the outer ferrite core isn't conductive. I really wasn't expecting to have to sand down the y1 boards, and had to resort to my lead clipper... and you can guess the rest.

Another question, if the y1 lost ground contact with the case (ie, the connection to the case via the ground strips wasn't strong in the first place), would that cause problems? I recall a builder having shocked his y1 with static merely by touching the case, and that got me wondering whether I should bother scraping my case's slots, for isolation.

I'm hoping that some slight rearrangements for the next version of the y1/y2 boards (particularly the ferrites, the voltage regulators' caps and making access to the regulators more removal/reflow-friendly) is possible; I just feel uneasy with the parts very close to the edge, but maybe doing so would make it worse
eek.gif

Nov 4, 2009 at 12:43 AM Post #933 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShinyFalcon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting findings 4season. I always wanted to make (or rather modify the one I already have...) a TREAD for my y1/y2 but never got to it. I have a charger for my cell phone, but I really don't want to plug it in...

The σ25 Regulated power supply
wink.gif

Quote:

A question, will there be a problem if one of the ferrites (the one closest to the edge on the y1's USB board) was chipped/scraped in the process? This particular ferrite is very very close to the case wall but at the moment isn't making contact, and I'm hoping the outer ferrite core isn't conductive. I really wasn't expecting to have to sand down the y1 boards, and had to resort to my lead clipper... and you can guess the rest.

As long as the ferrite isn't actually broken, then don't worry about it.

Quote:

Another question, if the y1 lost ground contact with the case (ie, the connection to the case via the ground strips wasn't strong in the first place), would that cause problems? I recall a builder having shocked his y1 with static merely by touching the case, and that got me wondering whether I should bother scraping my case's slots, for isolation.

Grounding the case provides RFI shielding, potentially reducing interference. It may or may not make a difference depending on how "noisy" your environment is.

Nov 4, 2009 at 12:50 AM Post #934 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by amb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The σ25 Regulated power supply
wink.gif

Sneaky bugger!
biggrin.gif

Does this mean that you will always have supplies of S24 boards? They are always listed as 'limited quantities', and I dread the day that they actually disappear......
wink.gif

Nov 4, 2009 at 1:09 AM Post #935 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beefy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sneaky bugger!
biggrin.gif

Does this mean that you will always have supplies of S24 boards? They are always listed as 'limited quantities', and I dread the day that they actually disappear......
wink.gif

Yeah, aside from the obvious utility of a small and simple PSU, σ25 is also a new way to justify the continued availability of σ24.

Nov 4, 2009 at 4:28 AM Post #936 of 2,154
Hello. instead of 5V at VCC i'm getting about 4.83V. Everything else reads correctly (exactly 3.3V and 4.75V at the other points). Is this normal? I'm using the y2 straight from usb. thanks!

Nov 4, 2009 at 10:40 AM Post #938 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by hansel_ng /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello. instead of 5V at VCC i'm getting about 4.83V. Everything else reads correctly (exactly 3.3V and 4.75V at the other points). Is this normal? I'm using the y2 straight from usb. thanks!

It just means that your computer's USB port 5V power is a little low.

Nov 6, 2009 at 4:56 PM Post #942 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beefy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sure. Just build the y1 part of it as a 'Lite' or USB-I2S converter.

OK. Then would it be possible to add the other outputs should the need arise in the future?

I think ideally I want to work with the F++ configuration but only populating the parts necessary for USB operation but I'm not sure that's possible or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back