Gamma-2 (γ2) DAC Thread
Nov 8, 2009 at 6:01 AM Post #946 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by mattcalf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not that I'm getting the fuses from Mouser but I'm just wondering what kinda fuse is recommended for the σ24 and σ25 combo?

The fuse style entirely up to you -- as long as the rating is appropriate for the application.

Nov 8, 2009 at 6:36 AM Post #948 of 2,154
Slow blow fuses are primarily used in applications where there might be a very large turn-on current surge (large toroid + large bulk capacitors). If you were to use a fast blow fuse that would actually provide sensible overload protection in such a circuit, chances are it would blow out at turn-on time. Hence you need slow blow fuses to allow large turn-on transients without blowing fuses all the time, yet when there is a sustained overload condition the fuse would blow.

For a small PSU with a limited amount of turn-on surge, a fast blow fuse will provide better protection.

Anyway, this stuff should be in its own thread rather than the γ2 thread.

Nov 8, 2009 at 6:53 AM Post #952 of 2,154
Ok thanks for that.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 9, 2009 at 7:36 AM Post #953 of 2,154
With regard to tally3tally's question
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/gam...ml#post6128708,
I also want to build a y1,y2 that gets it's input from an Apple Airport Express optical s/pdif signal. There seem to be several parts on the y1 E:s/pdif DAC only, configuration that would not be necessary including among others the DAC itself.
My question is what can be eliminated from the y1 E:s/pdif configuration knowing that it is only going to be used with a y2?

Nov 9, 2009 at 7:51 AM Post #954 of 2,154
With E, basically the USB portion (about 2 hours of work out of ~6 hours) is gone. On the y1 DAC board, U1 can be omitted. Maybe U3, U6, U9 (not sure about U4), C8-11, C22-27, R7-10, L3D, if you're not using the WM8501. Look at the parts list under the E column to find out what you can omit.

Nov 9, 2009 at 8:20 AM Post #957 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by Robinson34 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks guys! This helps a lot. Should this configuration be added to the y1 or y2 website as another choice?

No, I consider that to be a sub-configuration. There are many such possibilities under the main configurations and if I were to document all of them, it would clutter up the site and make it more confusing.

Nov 9, 2009 at 8:40 AM Post #959 of 2,154
I'd just like to echo the sentiments of many DIYers before me:
Check, recheck and then check again your various orders (Mouser + Farnell etc) against the AMB BOM!!!!

Last night after I'd been through it once I thought I was all good. After ordering and printing off my 60+ part order and checking it once more in bed I realised I had ordered one less resistor in two value classes, under-ordered some ceramic capacitor by 17(!!!) and ordered extra micro switches.

In my haste I got in communication with Mouser and was lucky enough to be able to modify my order.

Also thanks to Ti Kan who had my back luckily.

I'm really excited to order my AMB lot as soon as Ti has the sigma 24 and 25 in stock and get building in the school holidays.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 9, 2009 at 8:47 AM Post #960 of 2,154
Another victim
frown.gif

Rather on depending on Mouser's project manager, spreadsheets are the way to go, along with Mouser's Easy BOM functionality.

For the giggles I could build a σ25 using a TREAD board...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back