Gamma-2 (γ2) DAC Thread
Nov 15, 2009 at 11:39 AM Post #976 of 2,154
So I can use only my ungrounded soldering iron and it´s okay ? I´m going to build it in home conditions, so I don´t have any special table or other thinks. Realy i can sold it without grounding ?

Nov 17, 2009 at 12:28 AM Post #979 of 2,154
Just received my MisterX y2. The build quality is excellent (better than expected) and it sounds quite good, but I have some practical issues with it.

First of all, the windows volume doesn't work with it (it's position has no effect on volume). This is my main problem because it's really inconvenient as my amp and speakers are far enough from me that I'd have to get up and a few paces to change the volume.

Secondly, when scrolling through songs or switching to the next track/previous track there is a delay of about 500ms before it registers. It's quite annoying when scrolling within a song. I've tried using WASAPI, KS and DS and out of the 3, DS has the least amount of delay, but then it's not bit-perfect. Reducing the buffer in foobar alleviated it a bit, but not enough to get rid of the problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

Nov 17, 2009 at 12:32 AM Post #980 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shahrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First of all, the windows volume doesn't work with it (it's position has no effect on volume).....

.....DS has the least amount of delay, but then it's not bit-perfect.

If you use the Windows volume control it isn't bit-perfect either.

Nov 17, 2009 at 12:36 AM Post #981 of 2,154
Quote:

Just received my MisterX y2. The build quality is excellent (better than expected) and it sounds quite good, but I have some practical issues with it.

First of all, the windows volume doesn't work with it (it's position has no effect on volume). This is my main problem because it's really inconvenient as my amp and speakers are far enough from me that I'd have to get up and a few paces to change the volume.

Secondly, when scrolling through songs or switching to the next track/previous track there is a delay of about 500ms before it registers. It's quite annoying when scrolling within a song. I've tried using WASAPI, KS and DS and out of the 3, DS has the least amount of delay, but then it's not bit-perfect. Reducing the buffer in foobar alleviated it a bit, but not enough to get rid of the problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

1st off if you plan to control volume from the computer you can through the idea of "bit-perfect" out the window. Since it can not transmit bit-perfect from the computer to the DAC AND adjust the volume at the same time. Keep in mind the most important thing you want to avoid is resampling. I.E. 44.1khz sample rate converted to 48khz.

Now then all the problems you describe are not due to the gamma2 but in your computers setup. I suspect your volume issue is due to using ASAPI driver. The delay issue probably can be traced back to the delay/buffer settings, again these have zero to do with the DAC but with your software.

How are you connecting the gamma2? USB or SPDIF?

Nov 17, 2009 at 12:56 AM Post #982 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beefy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you use the Windows volume control it isn't bit-perfect either.

Quote:

Originally Posted by m1abrams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1st off if you plan to control volume from the computer you can through the idea of "bit-perfect" out the window. Since it can not transmit bit-perfect from the computer to the DAC AND adjust the volume at the same time. Keep in mind the most important thing you want to avoid is resampling. I.E. 44.1khz sample rate converted to 48khz.

Now then all the problems you describe are not due to the gamma2 but in your computers setup. I suspect your volume issue is due to using ASAPI driver. The delay issue probably can be traced back to the delay/buffer settings, again these have zero to do with the DAC but with your software.

How are you connecting the gamma2? USB or SPDIF?

Thanks for the quick responses.

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate and using foobar2000 0.9.6.9 WASAPI connected to the DAC via USB and feeding it into the M^3 + Sigma 11. I'm also using an external PSU for the y2. All my other computer specs can be found under my profile.
The delay is present with KS as well as WASAPI. With DS, the delay is absent.
I see your point about the problem of changing volume with bit-perfect output. That being said, is there a way to change the volume from my computer? (let's forget about it being bit-perfect or not for now).

Nov 17, 2009 at 12:57 AM Post #983 of 2,154
You should be able to change the volume when using Direct Sound.

If you can't, it is your software that is screwy - not the DAC.

Nov 17, 2009 at 1:12 AM Post #986 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beefy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You should be able to change the volume when using Direct Sound.

If you can't, it is your software that is screwy - not the DAC.

I can't change volume with DS either. BTW, I never said it's the DAC's fault...

I'm sure someone presented the same issue as me before but I can't locate the post and see if he found a way to change volume through Windows (regardless of it being bit-perfect or not).

As a temporary solution, I'm using the built-in volume control of foobar, but if someone knows what can be done to enable volume-control through Windows, please feel free to PM me or post here (so everyone can know).

Nov 17, 2009 at 1:19 AM Post #987 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Simple enough?

Yep, that's what I'm doing for now. I tried what you showed in the Mixer tab as well, and that works but it doesn't work when I change the main "Speakers" tab which is what my keyboard is linked to. Strange.

Let me also take this chance to thank you for your excellent work Marshall. The DAC is honestly better than I thought it would be both in terms of build and SQ.

Nov 17, 2009 at 1:26 AM Post #988 of 2,154
Quote:

Yep, that's what I'm doing for now. I tried what you showed in the Mixer tab as well, and that works but it doesn't work when I change the main "Speakers" tab which is what my keyboard is linked to. Strange.

Let me also take this chance to thank you for your excellent work Marshall. The DAC is honestly better than I thought it would be both in terms of build and SQ.

You know that is interesting little issue. I never change the volume in windows so never noticed it. But mine does the same thing. I am not using WASAPI either. It seems that changing the Master Vol. does not affect the Application volume even though the Mixer shows the levels changing. If I manually adjust the Application volume it does change the volume. Odd

P.S. Nice setup, that is pretty much my exact setup except I am connected to the DAC via spdif coax from my X-Fi. I love my recently completed M3/Sigma11 combo with Gamma2
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 17, 2009 at 1:31 AM Post #989 of 2,154
Quote:

You know that is interesting little issue. I never change the volume in windows so never noticed it. But mine does the same thing. I am not using WASAPI either. It seems that changing the Master Vol. does not affect the Application volume even though the Mixer shows the levels changing. If I manually adjust the Application volume it does change the volume. Odd

Exactly what I mean. It's just a little inconvenient since it renders my keyboard volume control useless.

Quote:

P.S. Nice setup, that is pretty much my exact setup except I am connected to the DAC via spdif coax from my X-Fi. I love my recently completed M3/Sigma11 combo with Gamma2
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks. This combo is producing the best SQ I've ever heard from the HD650s.

Nov 17, 2009 at 8:22 AM Post #990 of 2,154
Hi
i just ordered all the parts at mouser and farnell
ive hit a roadblock
this part U2U in the Gamma 1 parts list has turned out to be on mouser's backorder list
and my friend is getting the stuff along with her to India so i cant wait...
frown.gif

can someone nerdy enough suggest a replacement
there are many listed at the mouser website but im not sure ill be able to pick the right one
here are the details
A replacement at Mouser itself would be most useful
smily_headphones1.gif

Mouser Part #: 595-SN74AHC1G08DBVR
Manufacturer Part #: SN74AHC1G08DBVR
Manufacturer: Texas Instruments
Description: Gates (AND / NAND / OR / NOR) Single 2-Input

Users who are viewing this thread

Back