Gaming with a USB DAC and mic
Dec 4, 2013 at 9:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

browncow

New Head-Fier
Hi Guys,
I am looking for a solution where I can use my existing cans with a USB DAC/Amp (bifrost+magni) and still be able to use a mic (TBD) with a loop so I can hear myself talk.
Right now the only way to enable this is to plug my headphones into the amp and use a USB webcam with mic monitoring turned on in windows. Problem is that I can hear background noise in the mic including keyboard clicks. Also it's a pain to have to disable monitoring when not gaming.
Any pointers are appreciated
Thanks

Dec 12, 2013 at 1:15 AM Post #3 of 5
  What sort of latency are you looking to achieve? I know that Windows mic monitoring has about a half second delay, is this what you want?

I don't want any if possible. Hearing the slightest echo/delay is a distraction especially when playing an FPS where RTC is critical.

Dec 12, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #4 of 5
Hmm. Unfortunately with software that is almost impossible. I am a gamer as well, and for gaming I use a pair of Turtlebeach p11s. They are not that expensive, and they have that feature. I am, however, not recommending this headset, because they sound terrible, feel cheap and are not that comfortable (for me anyway). The reason I bring these up is because if you feel comfortable taking apart a broken/used pair they have an inline DAC/amp that is suitable enough for gaming. All you need to do is to splice the cable with a mic/headphone plug. That is what I would do anyway, but don't take my input as you would a pro's.

Dec 20, 2013 at 12:33 PM Post #5 of 5
cool thanks for the pointers. I might have to dual headphone this and use a macro to switch between setups

Users who are viewing this thread

Back