Gaming Headset/Headphone +Sound card
Jan 21, 2011 at 6:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

LukaTCE

New Head-Fier
Which is good headset/headphone just for gaming ?  my budget is 200€ with sound card
I saw on this forum you recommend ATH-AD700
So for gaming is better open-air right?
What about HD 555 moded to HD 595 or original HD 595 ?
Or any others you can recommend me

Also which sound card you can recommend ?
I was looking into Xonar D1/DX (60€) both are same right ? DX PCI-E don't made sound better right ?
Or Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium fatality (70€)
Or any other at that price range

Jan 21, 2011 at 8:16 AM Post #2 of 9
The AD700 is great if you are playing FPS games seriously, because the soundstage is very good and that lets you pinpoint where the sounds around you are coming from. However, if you are just playing fps games occasionally or playing another genre of games entirely, the AD700 might not be so good since it lacks in bass impact. 

For sound cards, a sound blaster card is better for games since it can support EAX5.0, but the sound quality for music isn't as good as you'd get on the xonar. I don't think that there is any difference between the D1 and the DX other than the pci/pci-e interface.

Jan 21, 2011 at 1:32 PM Post #3 of 9
Yeah i will use it just for FPS gaming (mostly)
And what about HD 555 mod to HD 595 or original HD 595 or any others ?
Also what to buy it will work with Xbox 360 ?
Will work just with this ? http://www.fyygame.com/xbox-360-earphone-transformer.html
Or i will need MIXAMP 5.8 or are there any others  wireless sound card or how is called

Feb 12, 2011 at 8:15 PM Post #4 of 9
headset : use HD555, i have used it for 5 years and still sounds good.I had tested ATD lines but i still prefer senn HD series..for gaming purpose HD555 is more than enough, don't ever think to buy "gamers" branded headset such as raz**,rocc*** etc, it's nothing compared to audiophile headset.

If you have more budget, get a Onkyo SE200LTD instead of X-fi,Sonar..trust me, I have tested them with my HD555,although SE200LTD only has EAX 2, but it sounds goooooddd. My friend tested X-fi fully modded (mod cost is even higher than X-fi price itself), SE200LTD still sounds better. Anyway, who cares EAX 5 compared to better audio output ?

I play it for FPS game such as COD (MW1 & MW2),MOH and Racing (Drift,NFS).When i switched back to X-fi, the next 1 minute I have replaced it again with SE200LTD

Feb 12, 2011 at 9:32 PM Post #6 of 9
Are you PC gaming or Xbox gaming?

AD-700s are very popular, I use A900 closed.

With the xbox I just set the xbox Mic to output via headphones and hang it around my neck.
I use a small Victor amp(see my signature below) and connected via optical cable to the official xbox `dongle` -(optical in and HDMI adapter).

But Yeah, I usually use my PS3 with the above set up.

Feb 12, 2011 at 10:19 PM Post #7 of 9
SteelSeeries Siberia V2 is also a very good headset and is quite popular among professional teams.
As for the soundcard it depends what you want to use it for. If it's just gaming, a simply X-fi will do.
There's also a USB virtual 7.1 USB soundcard from SteelSeeries which comes in handy if you play on a laptop once in a while or attend LAN-partys.

Feb 27, 2011 at 2:56 PM Post #8 of 9
Sorry for late reply. I allready bought HD 598 and X-fi titanium but i am not so happy with it.

I am using HD 598 with x-fi titanium for 15 days and i think headphones and sound card aren't worth so much money.

Or it could be broken or fake headphones ? any details i need to be cerful if they are fakes.

In stereo music (online radio mp3 codec and 128 bit) i hear oftenly left side speaker loader then right one and sometimes is mixed in 3 seconds come mixed from left to right and again so i get strange fealing from which side cound come from.

Tested also with onboard sound card Realtek ALC 883 and on old pc some old creative idk which one but i think in lower class.

And i can hear plastic when moving my head (also plastic that rotate a bit and (where u can resize it) it looks weak and cheap).

And my ears starting to hurt after 10 min. of usage but probably coz of my small and tiny head. I don't know becouse i didn't compared to any other headphone/headset in that class except RS 170 but they have even smaller earpads

Also what are best settings to use with x-fi titanium ? i have gaming mode>eax on 0db>cmss-3d auto>crystalizer off. (maybe i should turn dolby digital live on ? but i see is SPDIF only that is optical right ? )

Is there any way to connect this stereo headphones to digital output ? now i have connected to stereo (green colour)

Mostly i need heapdhones/headset just for gaming
Mabye better i return/sell it and buy something another for same price range ?

Feb 27, 2011 at 5:16 PM Post #9 of 9
I would say to return the Creative Labs X-Fi Titanium and get the Asus Xonar DX or DS
I use the DS with my Win 7 64-bit, it replaced my Creative X-Fi Titanium.
The Asus Xonar DX is currenty on sale from mail order retailers.
The Asus drivers seem more stable the the Creative drivers.
Reinstalling Creative drivers can be a hassle if you lose the install CD.
The Asus drivers are a quick download from Asus.
After getting the Asus Xonar, get a tube headphone amp off Ebay, they start at $40.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back