Gaming Headphones
May 30, 2004 at 5:15 PM Post #16 of 35
i dont know, i think a cheap pair of like nosie canelings will do. sony makes some. I dont really like my A900s for gaming, its just doesnt sound any better then the Aiwa's i have. I enjoy them alot more when im listen to wish you were here by pink floyd and you can Waters breath and sigh and lick is lips before he starts playing, thats whats like whoa, never heard that before.

If this is for solely gaming, i wouldnt get like 200$ headphones. its a waste, but if you plan on listen to music and taking good care of you headphones, i would strongly recommend the A900's, they sound godly.

May 30, 2004 at 5:32 PM Post #17 of 35
I don't recommend (based on experience):

- AKG K271S - really need an amp, not accurate enough (positioning, small cues)
- Ultrasone HFI 650 - very uncomfortable physically for long durations, too bright/can cause listening fatigue
- HD600 - not isolating enough, need an amp
- HD595 - not isolating enough, too bright

Above are my experiences, ymmv.

However, if you want isolation, good sound stage, massive explosions and you can use an amp, consider Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro (80 Ohm version) as many do recommend it for gaming.

May 30, 2004 at 5:35 PM Post #19 of 35
I heard someone say that the detail and isolation of Etys make for very good gaming, although you may not like the in-canal path. Idealsound sells them for around $200.
etysmile.gif

Edit:

Quote:

sry for the n00bish questiong but when it says closed design/type does that mean it covers the entire ear?

yes. lol.

May 30, 2004 at 6:10 PM Post #21 of 35
spaulding,

There are a lot of good heaphones for gaming, and with you budget you could get one of the best.

IMO, Beyer DT770-250 is the best that I have tried, but you will need proper amplification to run them decently. The bass is this HP is incredible, and it has good positional cues. If you go this route, try to get the non-pro as they are more comfortable than the pro version.

A900 is second in my list, this sell for $200, and IMO are the best unamp headphones in the market, the positional is excelent, the bass is good, and they can be powered by you sound card to decent levels, although an amp could help them excell.

Ultrasone HFI-650/700, havent audition them, but a lot of people like them for gaming, both sell for less than $200, and could be powered by a soundcard. But I havent had the heard them so you better get more opinion on this, just to be sure if you go this way.

Sony V6 is IMO the best heaphone for gaming inside $70, the have a lot of bass, and they have good positional cues, the highs are a little harsh, but they are also very detailed.

You might want to check this thread also,
Need to buy Gaming Headphones in 170$'s Range.

Good luck with your choice,

May 30, 2004 at 7:50 PM Post #22 of 35
If I had $250 just for gaming with positional sound as the primary concern, I wouldn't spend more than $100.

I own a pair of grado sr225's and they are awesome phones, but they beat my old hd497's only in sound clarity, not in positional audio.

It may be a better idea to look into the audigy 2 zs external and spend the rest of the money in any one of those cans mentioned above.

May 30, 2004 at 7:56 PM Post #23 of 35
Since everybody has highly praised the A900's as great headphones even with no amp; just ordered a pair from audio cubes to see what all the fuss is about.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 30, 2004 at 8:10 PM Post #24 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by spaulding
sry for the n00bish questiong but when it says closed design/type does that mean it covers the entire ear?

Grado cans are extremely open.. Environment sound is easily heard while wearing the cans.
Closed cans isolate your ears from the outside so you will not hear much of the surrounding.

What you are talking about is circumaural as compared to supra-aural. Circumaural totally surrounds the ear and generally rests on the skull, not the ear. The cans are going to generally be larger in size to be able to reach around the ear. Grado are supra-aural as they rest on the ear and the skull. Most closed/sealed cans are going to be circumaural from what I recall.

May 30, 2004 at 8:19 PM Post #25 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by shuurajou
Since everybody has highly praised the A900's as great headphones even with no amp; just ordered a pair from audio cubes to see what all the fuss is about.
smily_headphones1.gif

You will be very pleased. becasue i sure am
lambda.gif

May 30, 2004 at 8:39 PM Post #26 of 35
I will input that I don't like the Senn hd580/600/650 for gaming... all versions of EAX suck and those headphones reveal it too well. Closed cans and a small soundstage is what you want (I like the senn280 pro's myself) (small soundstage because you're looking for reaction time over "realism").

May 30, 2004 at 8:59 PM Post #27 of 35
I know that you requested for headphones, but have you thought about speakers? Bcuz IMHO i like to FEEL my bass when playing games and avoid the sweaty ears
wink.gif

Z-680

May 30, 2004 at 9:05 PM Post #28 of 35
the z680 are very very nice speakers for the price. my friend has them, and man do they get loud, for 250$ they are very nice.

Edit: spelling

May 30, 2004 at 9:24 PM Post #29 of 35
I'm using the Senn 555's for gaming at present and Farcry and UT2004 absolutely rock. As for comfort they are the best I've tried....you forget they are on your head after a short period.

May 30, 2004 at 10:36 PM Post #30 of 35
Speakers are out because I do most my gaming after the wife and kids go to bed and nobody else in the family like my musical taste. So basically the requirements are headphones that sound great for gaming and music, non amped (requirement may change), and cover the ear (don't rest on it)

are the A900's circumaural? how about any of the senn's mentioned?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back