Gaming Headphones
May 30, 2004 at 2:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

spaulding

New Head-Fier
Greetings ...

I was hoping to get a little advise for some new pc headphones for gaming and music. Currently I use the Sony MDR-V600's and they are okay but seem to lack range and the bass is inadequate. I just listened to a friends bose noise canceling phones and they were really great but I am a little leery about spending 300d's on headphones. The audio source is just my sound card which is the audigy x-gamer. What do you recommend for the best quality for under $250?

Thanx in advance

May 30, 2004 at 2:54 AM Post #2 of 35
I used to be into my gaming heavily, and I used to use Sennheiser HD-25's and they were absolutely fantastic. Very immersive because they cut out all outside sound (being dj phones). But, I know lots of people seem to despise these cans.

May 30, 2004 at 2:59 AM Post #3 of 35
From what I've hear round here, the sennheiser 555s and 595's make brilliant gaming headphones due to the foward sound stage. The 555s can be had for 100 and the 595 can be had for 200. Use Froggle for the lowest prices.

May 30, 2004 at 3:01 AM Post #4 of 35
I at the moment, use HD600's, purely because I use them for music and never have a reason to change them for gaming really.

May 30, 2004 at 3:33 AM Post #6 of 35
They're great. I used to be a total gaming freak. Used to play Counter-Strike in the CPL, compete internationally, and they carried me through it, so they're certainly viable for as 'professional' a standard of gaming as it gets. But, I don't play games like that anymore, but I don't think that they would have become any LESS effective.

They have an awesome sound stage, pick up detail very well, which is just what gaming needs, and I didn't even use an AMP.

May 30, 2004 at 3:55 AM Post #7 of 35
IMHO, during gaming you don't notice quality of the sound...you rely only whos sneaking up behind you or where everyone is at...so having said that i think the zalman 5.1 would be great since it has a simulated 6 speaker setup. But for music it's a different story, and since using audigy x-gamer to power the headphones maybe a combo of a900 and the zalman 5.1 would be my choice.

May 30, 2004 at 4:45 AM Post #8 of 35
I use my Grado SR 325s for everything.. love them.

EightyEight is correct about the sound quality.. some games have horrible recordings. But the ones I play now are pretty clean. [CS has the worst recordings.. static/hiss in the background of most of the sounds]

As for the zalmans.. I personally don't need them, won't use them, and would never buy anything like that [especially from a company who makes heatsinks]
BTW 88.. have you tried the zalmans?

I find that I can actually tell the difference in a gunshot that is in front of me as opposed to one that is behind me. Some games I set the audio setting to 4 speaker even if I am using my headphones and other I set to 2 speaker. It all depends on how the games makes the rear audio. Certain games will still play the rear audio throught the fronts but with a different attenuation/tone to it hence why I set to 4 channel... others do not do this so you do not hear what is behind you when set to 4 channel listening through headphones. I guess it is sort of a crossfeed of the rears.. some games do it and I love it.. other don't and I still get used to it.
I never set the audio to headphones and will not use any EAX or anything.

Most of the time I will use my headphones and prefer to use them while gaming. Every once in a while I will use my speakers when I am just fooling around and the parents are out of the house. I just play better with headphones.

..to each his own.

May 30, 2004 at 5:32 AM Post #9 of 35
Paragon,
I just read some other reviews on the Grado 325's and it sounds like they don't fully cover the ear ... I find it rather uncomfortable to have the phones resting on my ears. Any other suggestions?

Thanx again guys for being so helpful!

May 30, 2004 at 6:38 AM Post #11 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Paragon

As for the zalmans.. I personally don't need them, won't use them, and would never buy anything like that [especially from a company who makes heatsinks]

hehe.... this is funny... but true..
biggrin.gif

May 30, 2004 at 7:35 AM Post #13 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by spaulding
Greetings ...

I was hoping to get a little advise for some new pc headphones for gaming and music. Currently I use the Sony MDR-V600's and they are okay but seem to lack range and the bass is inadequate. I just listened to a friends bose noise canceling phones and they were really great but I am a little leery about spending 300d's on headphones. The audio source is just my sound card which is the audigy x-gamer. What do you recommend for the best quality for under $250?

Thanx in advance

philips hp890
incredible bargain
sounds better then hd595 ; easy to drive , incredible detailed bass ,very good detail , quite flat throughout all the frq. spectrum
it's easy on par with high rated head-forum phones
very good for gaming

May 30, 2004 at 9:38 AM Post #14 of 35
I'd definitely get the AT A900 or Ultrasone hfi650/700.
From what I've gathered from this forums, those are the best gaming 'phones.
The Beyerdynamic dt770 is also an alternative but require an amp.

May 30, 2004 at 3:55 PM Post #15 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by spaulding
Paragon,
I just read some other reviews on the Grado 325's and it sounds like they don't fully cover the ear ... I find it rather uncomfortable to have the phones resting on my ears. Any other suggestions?

I am use to mine but I can see where you are coming from. After a long time listening, I have a few marks on my cheekbones from the pads. My ears don't really hurt. I was able to adjust them to where I am able to wear them for quite a long time [can be around four hours straight at time] If you are really going to some high end cans, I suggest you find a place to demo a pair and see how you like them as I did.. although Grados were the only ones I ever tried. I took the advice of my bro's friend who workes at the hi-fi place. Went from thinking about Senn 495s or whatever they are now to Grado SR-80s.. and up.. ended up with the 325s. Oh the pain of liking music.

Anyhoo.. I can't really suggest any others since these are all I have ever used in the high end region.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back