Gaming Headphones
Aug 24, 2009 at 9:45 PM Post #16 of 43
If you do get the 880 (which is a super nice headphone for gaming...) make sure that you buy a Amp/DAC combo with it to get the most out of it.

Aug 24, 2009 at 9:47 PM Post #17 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeusEx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pro gamer??

I can garantee u hes not.

Regarding the post, 5.1 headsets will never offer positional audio like quality headphones + CMSS3D Headphone + Elevation filter.

Quote:

Originally Posted by musick /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BTW I read some posts about how in lans you really shouldn't have open hp since you don't wanna disturb ppl.

Wrong, the reason we are recommeded to use CLOSED back headphones at LAN events are simply to keep the noise OUT.

Aug 24, 2009 at 9:51 PM Post #18 of 43
Quote:

You could hear b tunnels from long a with them.

flying_pig.jpg

Aug 25, 2009 at 12:30 AM Post #20 of 43
Quote:

My manager is really bugging me about wearing the sponsored headsets but they look so ugh. Anyway the sponsor clarified a few things about them. I want a second opinion. :p so I came here.

Anyway she told me that 5.1 or 7.1 headphones are great for gaming because of the different drivers (cheap ) placed into the headphones which gives you a better idea of your surrondings. They are also angled giving you greater preception.

In addition she told me that closed headphones are better (something about the soundstage) and that they should sound bass heavy because most ingame audio files are already heavy on the bass (so you need more?).

Went to a lan tournament recently. Felt so out of place with HD650's (they're not even mine) on my head.

About the sponsored hp I smell corporate bs . She also told me IEMs were great for gaming.

I'm so lost.

lol.. Open back is superior to closed headphones in terms of sound stage..Albeit there are some exceptions..

Bass should be 'lite' & tight.. You don't want other frequencies drowned out by over exaggerated bass..

8 total drivers are not ideal, that's why no serious headphone manufacturer makes them.. It's all about comprises.. You might get better positional audio in the back, but will lose other essentials for gaming.. Multiple crappy drivers is never good.. Gamers don't need muffled sound, etc..

The best medium is a good audiophile headphone & a good 5.1 DSP..

Aug 25, 2009 at 12:42 AM Post #21 of 43
Quote:

Yes in the flesh.

BTW I read some posts about how in lans you really shouldn't have open hp since you don't wanna disturb ppl. Well it's actually really loud like a sporting event. Especially when teams are trying to rally back.

Decided to pull the trigger on the DT800s so soft...

Smart choice.. My favorite 3rd person gaming headphone.. Lacks the vertical depth of the AD700, & maybe positional audio. (Debatable) But are superior in terms of clarity, detail, with a smoother treble, nuetrality, balance, & better bass impact & slam without sounding bloated.. Of course a amp will improve the SQ.. But will still sound 'nice' out of a sound card..

Aug 25, 2009 at 1:03 AM Post #22 of 43
Quote:

My manager is really bugging me about wearing the sponsored headsets but they look so ugh. Anyway the sponsor clarified a few things about them. I want a second opinion. :p so I came here.

Anyway she told me...

alright, there's your problem. she's a woman.

in all seriousness, it sounds like you are using your headphones for counterstrike. if this is the case, hd650s will be horrible, and most "audiophile" quality headphones will also fail. you aren't going to listen to music (hopefully), you just need them for competitive gaming

I also used to play CS with a sponsored team (vatos), and I can tell you right now that closed cans ARE ABSOLUTELY necessary for competitive matches, I honestly cannot believe that open cans are even being considered in this thread. most live events are very crowded and you need to block out ambient sound (clicks/keyboards/whispers/etc.) in order to hear subtle footsteps and other essential cues.

also, neutrality/balance and "smoothness" are NOT things that you want in a headphone for competitive gaming. you need something with a very harsh/piercing sound that will easily grab your attention. for this reason, I honestly would rather use ipod earbuds than hd650s. a lot of competitive CS players even go so far as to use 3rd party sound card drivers which boost the certain frequencies (i.e. the frequency range for footstep sounds). these are not musically pleasing changes, but for gaming competitively it makes a huge difference

soundstage is also NOT something that you want for competitive CS. you WANT a cramped soundstage because it draws distant sounds closer to you and makes them easier to hear. 90% of competitive CS stages are not super complex. if you hear the general direction of a sound, you should know where the person is (there are exceptions like de_train and etc., but those stages havent been popular for ages). its much more important for sounds to grab your attention

I have tried CS recently with my k701s and the soundstage makes distant footsteps/gunshots sound... distant. That's great if I am playing for fun, but if I am playing competitively I would not want headphones that do that...

Aug 25, 2009 at 1:13 AM Post #23 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Adab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
flying_pig.jpg

Adab but pigs can fly there was an pandemic of swine flu recently. My teams mates told me that bit about long a and b tunnels, I beleive them.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fenn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can garantee u hes not.
Regarding the post, 5.1 headsets will never offer positional audio like quality headphones + CMSS3D Headphone + Elevation filter.
Wrong, the reason we are recommeded to use CLOSED back headphones at LAN events are simply to keep the noise OUT.

I believe the first fell under libel. Anyway looks like your guarantees are as ill formed as your spelling. Fenn as nonsensical as I sound in this thread, it matches my feelings on this topic and my views about you. Living with irrationality and ignorance can be quite a burden. How is it? Also your olfactory region is quite insipid. You should have doctor look after it. I love it when the annonymous choose to feel that they know and can predict the nameless. My "e-persona" is beginning to reveal yours. What a twist. And we? Since when were you the voice of Head-Fi? I specifically remember reading past posts where some users recommended closed hps because it wouldn't affect other users when the sound leaks. That is not necessarily true especially in lans when you have passionate players yelling at each other. That was my point. Besides most hps used by competitive players now aren’t closed they’re either open or semi open sheesh.
Quote:

Originally Posted by ear8dmg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What soundcard are you using? It's a bit late now but that would affect my recommendation.

I use an Asus Xonar HDAV 1.3 soundcard at home and Creative XFI XtremeGamer Sound Card for gaming/lan. Would that be enough or would I need an amp?
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Smart choice.. My favorite 3rd person gaming headphone.. Lacks the vertical depth of the AD700, & maybe positional audio. (Debatable) But are superior in terms of clarity, detail, with a smoother treble, nuetrality, balance, & better bass impact & slam without sounding bloated.. Of course a amp will improve the SQ.. But will still sound 'nice' out of a sound card..

What’s your fav first person hp? Thanks your blog helped me choose them. If that was your blog. That name isn’t very common.

Aug 25, 2009 at 1:24 AM Post #24 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by jawang /img/forum/go_quote.gif

in all seriousness, it sounds like you are using your headphones for counterstrike. if this is the case, hd650s will be horrible, and most "audiophile" quality headphones will also fail. you aren't going to listen to music (hopefully), you just need them for competitive gaming

I also used to play CS with a sponsored team (vatos), and I can tell you right now that closed cans ARE ABSOLUTELY necessary for competitive matches, I honestly cannot believe that open cans are even being considered in this thread. most live events are very crowded and you need to block out ambient sound (clicks/keyboards/whispers/etc.) in order to hear subtle footsteps and other essential cues.

also, neutrality/balance and "smoothness" are NOT things that you want in a headphone for competitive gaming. you need something with a very harsh/piercing sound that will easily grab your attention. for this reason, I honestly would rather use ipod earbuds than hd650s. a lot of competitive CS players even go so far as to use 3rd party sound card drivers which boost the certain frequencies (i.e. the frequency range for footstep sounds). these are not musically pleasing changes, but for gaming competitively it makes a huge difference

soundstage is also NOT something that you want for competitive CS. you WANT a cramped soundstage because it draws distant sounds closer to you and makes them easier to hear. 90% of competitive CS stages are not super complex. if you hear the general direction of a sound, you should know where the person is (there are exceptions like de_train and etc., but those stages havent been popular for ages). its much more important for sounds to grab your attention

I have tried CS recently with my k701s and the soundstage makes distant footsteps/gunshots sound... distant. That's great if I am playing for fun, but if I am playing competitively I would not want headphones that do that...

The most used hps for cs are icemat siberia's or steelseries 5h hps. They don't really block ambient noise that well. 650s worked well. Used them in LG, did pretty good with them. To each their own I guess.

Aug 25, 2009 at 1:53 AM Post #25 of 43
Quote:

Balance.. as in not over blown bass.. Neutrality, as in hearing what the game designers want you to hear without your headphone adding colorization.. Those are not two characteristics you look for in a gaming headphone??

You don't want a cramped sound stage.. You want a good sized sound stage with good audio positioning, & a coherent one.. The 701's sound stage size is artificially big & manufactured..

Aug 25, 2009 at 1:56 AM Post #26 of 43
Quote:

Adab but pigs can fly there was an pandemic of swine flu recently. My teams mates told me that bit about long a and b tunnels, I beleive them.

I believe the first fell under libel. Anyway looks like your guarantees are as ill formed as your spelling. Fenn as nonsensical as I sound in this thread, it matches my feelings on this topic and my views about you. Living with irrationality and ignorance can be quite a burden. How is it? Also your olfactory region is quite insipid. You should have doctor look after it. I love it when the annonymous choose to feel that they know and can predict the nameless. My "e-persona" is beginning to reveal yours. What a twist. And we? Since when were you the voice of Head-Fi? I specifically remember reading past posts where some users recommended closed hps because it wouldn't affect other users when the sound leaks. That is not necessarily true especially in lans when you have passionate players yelling at each other. That was my point. Besides most hps used by competitive players now aren’t closed they’re either open or semi open sheesh.

I use an Asus Xonar HDAV 1.3 soundcard at home and Creative XFI XtremeGamer Sound Card for gaming/lan. Would that be enough or would I need an amp?

What’s your fav first person hp? Thanks your blog helped me choose them. If that was your blog. That name isn’t very common.

Yes, that's me.. The MDR F1 then the AD700 then the SA5000 (most likly) I owned all 3 of these..

Aug 25, 2009 at 2:14 AM Post #27 of 43
Basically from my research so far the hps should be neutral like sound engineer cans because most headphones tend to emphasize the lows or try to bring them out, try being the key word. This is bad for gaming because most noises in games in general are already high in bass so emphasizing whats there could make it muddier thus making it harder to differentiate where the target is. Hmm I wonder if Beyer has a headset version of the DT800s. Clipons are so ugh.

Aug 25, 2009 at 2:19 AM Post #28 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Balance.. as in not over blown bass.. Neutrality, as in hearing what the game designers want you to hear without your headphone adding colorization.. Those are not two characteristics you look for in a gaming headphone??

You don't want a cramped sound stage.. You want a good sized sound stage with good audio positioning, & a coherent one.. The 701's sound stage size is artificially big & manufactured..

there is a huge difference between competitive gaming and "gaming"

a gaming headset is meant for enjoyment, so "hearing what the game designers want you to hear" and avoiding "coloration" and etc. are things that you want

a competitive gaming headset is meant for competition. you DONT want to hear exactly what the designers want you to hear. in fact, in many cases, you want to hear things that they didnt want you to hear, so to speak. you want quiet sounds to be louder and subtle sounds to be attention grabbing. this does not make the game fun, but it improves your performance in matches. this logic is the same reason why competitive fps gamers often turn off every non-essential graphical feature and play with ultra low mouse sensitivity, despite the fact they often use top-of-the-line computers.

Aug 25, 2009 at 2:32 AM Post #29 of 43
Quote:

there is a huge difference between competitive gaming and "gaming"

a gaming headset is meant for enjoyment, so "hearing what the game designers want you to hear" and avoiding "coloration" and etc. are things that you want

a competitive gaming headset is meant for competition. you DONT want to hear exactly what the designers want you to hear. in fact, in many cases, you want to hear things that they didnt want you to hear, so to speak. you want quiet sounds to be louder and subtle sounds to be attention grabbing. this does not make the game fun, but it improves your performance in matches. this logic is the same reason why competitive fps gamers often turn off every non-essential graphical feature and play with ultra low mouse sensitivity, despite the fact they often use top-of-the-line computers.

hehe 640 by 480 sometimes 800<- me
Most of the time it's a placebo effect like downloading a pro's cfg and etc. I don't see how using ultra low sens and res backs up your logic. Most often these settings are used because we're used to them not out of need. Uh don't you want to hear everything the designer wants you to hear? Footsteps, gunshots, nades etc Maybe thats how YOU prepare yourself. No one has hps like those ^. Most pro gamers use 5.1 hp/headsets but those do not do ^ that either. Thats a bit overkill.

I think it's personal taste because I've seen Heaton,fRoD, SpawN and loads more use Sennheisers. Heaton and fRoD with 600s and Spawn with 160s. And most of these are open. Steelseries/Icemat Siberias claim to block ambient noise so you assume they're closed but they don't so they feel like semi-open, almost open. I'm sure my DT800s will work fine.

Aug 25, 2009 at 2:57 AM Post #30 of 43
Quote:

hehe 640 by 480 sometimes 800<- me
Most of the time it's a placebo effect like downloading a pro's cfg and etc. I don't see how using ultra low sens and res backs up your logic. Most often these settings are used because we're used to them not out of need. Uh don't you want to hear everything the designer wants you to hear? Footsteps, gunshots, nades etc Maybe thats how YOU prepare yourself. No one has hps like those ^. Most pro gamers use 5.1 hp/headsets but those do not do ^ that either. Thats a bit overkill.

you completely misread my post, I didn't say that I don't want to hear certain things, my point was that I want certain sounds to be louder and more pronounced than the game designers intended

also, I have never heard of a serious CS player using 640x480 resolution. people use the highest resolution that doesn't kill their framerate because it helps tremendously with accuracy, especially for static aim in camping roles. i.e. on dust2 I used to look for a very small spec on the wall at B (its almost impossible to see without > 1280 setting), if you spray at the spec at ~18 seconds you can often hit people inside tunnels if they went B. there are countless other examples, but I haven't played competitively for a long time so I might be out of date with the latest visual cues that people have found

low sensitivity is ESSENTIAL for virtually all FPS games because it improves your mouse tracking accuracy and makes burst spraying actually accurate and practical. tell me one top player who uses high mouse sensitivity, because I have never heard of one. people dont just do it because they are "used" to it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back