Gaming Headphones - You Choose 2008.
Aug 29, 2008 at 1:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 54

Fawkes77

New Head-Fier
Hello all and welcome to my thread.
atsmile.gif
I am in the market for some headphones to use while gaming on my PS3. I have narrowed the choices down to a few, and I would like to hear your choice and why.

Originally, I planned on purchasing the Senn 595's, but the rest were added to the list due to their accompanying reason.

1) Downgrade a little bit and look at the Sennheiser 555's because I've read online and it said that they are meant to emulate surround sound. Would this give me better response than the 595's?

2) Sennheiser HD280 Pro, because i've read that they have a large sound stage, allowing me to hear well in every direction.

3) I am still tempted by the AKG K 701's, because I haven't read one bad thing about them.

4) Denon AH-D2000. I have read amazing things about them, although they are a little pricey.

5) Beyerdynamic DT 880, because at least one reviewer claimed that they were the best he'd heard, ever.

6) Audio Technica ATH-A700, because I've heard some good things about them and they are cheap.

7) Astro A40, because they are relatively cheap and come with a mix amp and microphone.

As a note, I will be using a Yamaha RX V661 Receiver as an amp.

Aug 29, 2008 at 1:59 AM Post #2 of 54
I just bought the A40, I like it because u can use it as headphones and a mic, the mic is interchangeable to both sides

im going to use it for PS3/360/PC

playing 2142 on PC though, havent tried it on consoles yet. i was wondering if i could even rig everything to it

Aug 29, 2008 at 2:19 AM Post #3 of 54
I can always hook up a microphone to another set of headphones to make it into a headset of sorts. Thanks to KBI, i am leaning toward the Beyerdynamic DT 880's because not only have I read that they are amazing (as are all of these headphones), but he recommended it and has been trustworthy throughout this whole operation.

Aug 29, 2008 at 3:35 AM Post #5 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fawkes77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Downgrade a little bit and look at the Sennheiser 555's because I've read online and it said that they are meant to emulate surround sound. Would this give me better response than the 595's?

The HD 595 is everything that the HD 555 is and more; nothing less. It includes all the soundstaging of it's little brother. However, is the HD 595 a real improvement for gaming, worth the price? When you're looking at only specific traits in two headphones that are already similar, I'm not so sure. You might benefit to save your money, buy an HD 555, and use the money you saved to buy another game. I'm not the one to know, though.

Aug 29, 2008 at 5:49 AM Post #9 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fawkes77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So they sound the same?

Same sound signature maybe, but theres more to the sound then sharing the same driver.. Ultras 750 & E9's share the same titanium drivers, but sound completely different. Ofcourse one is 400 & the other is 1,600.. Retail..
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 29, 2008 at 7:21 AM Post #11 of 54
I'll throw in the AD700's as usual.

They're incredible for gaming, biggest soundstage of any headphone I've ever heard. They're just immersive and incredible. Great for music too.

Aug 29, 2008 at 1:23 PM Post #12 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

They're incredible for gaming, biggest soundstage of any headphone I've ever heard. They're just immersive and incredible. Great for music too.

What other headphones have you listened to?

Aug 29, 2008 at 4:01 PM Post #13 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hello?

Aug 29, 2008 at 4:32 PM Post #14 of 54
Id also recommend the AD700. Better than the HD555 for gaming and music in my opinion. Some say thy are better than the HD595 as well.

Aug 29, 2008 at 5:11 PM Post #15 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by JayB18 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Id also recommend the AD700. Better than the HD555 for gaming and music in my opinion. Some say thy are better than the HD595 as well.

I would second this opinion. in addtion to sounding good, the directional placement is exceptional. I don't know what games exactly the OP is playing, but I use AD700s in a competitive FPS format, and knowing pretty much exactly where my opposition is without seeing them is quite the advantage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back