Gaming Headphones. Choice.
Nov 18, 2006 at 1:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 116

Technex

100+ Head-Fier
Hello there. I've just joined to ask for your expert help. I'm a Counter Strike gamer. And I want to use sound more in my game.

I've got under 80 pounds to spend. And I really want the best for the money. (I'm not rich...)

What should I get.

This one: Turtle Beach Ear Force HPA

Or this one: Sennheiser-PC160

And this one: Audio Technica ATH-AD500

But the only problem is that I don't know how I'm going to get the Ear Force one. I haven't found a single UK selling site .

Thank you very much.

Nov 18, 2006 at 4:04 PM Post #3 of 116
You are not going to find any supporters of turtle beach products here as well as sennheiser gaming gear. anyways for the price of those products you can find something like a sennheiser hd5xx which would fit the bill or what jmm said

Nov 18, 2006 at 4:57 PM Post #4 of 116
How's the directional sound quality like on ATH-A500 It says stereo. Would I be able to tell if a person is walking behind me to one side?

And thank you.

Nov 18, 2006 at 5:05 PM Post #5 of 116
Turtle Beach no, but Sennheiser yes!!! OK HD555 doesn't get much love here, but the 595 does. It's also a fav with gamers......so why not go with a well accepted headphone? Since I'm states side, I don't know what they go for in the UK. If you need something cheaper, then Audio Technica is the best choice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by reivaj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You are not going to find any supporters of turtle beach products here as well as sennheiser gaming gear. anyways for the price of those products you can find something like a sennheiser hd5xx which would fit the bill or what jmm said

Nov 18, 2006 at 5:05 PM Post #6 of 116
even though i have never heard the a500, i have used my grados, which have dismal soundstage, for gaming.

you're taking the word "stereo" too literal. of course you will be able to tell the positioning of people, things, explosions, etc

Nov 18, 2006 at 5:07 PM Post #7 of 116
turtle beach fits the bill when you want 5.1 sound just like medusas and barracudas for gaming. they do a great job in sound placement but they are not the best bang for the buck. plus 5.1 isnt necessary for headphones but some people just prefer it

Nov 18, 2006 at 5:11 PM Post #8 of 116
Of those three I'd definitely choose the PC160. If you're willing to get a separate mic you could also get something like the HD555/HD595. But if you want better opinions I'd go somewhere like the CAL forums, serious gamers here are few and far between.

Nov 18, 2006 at 5:59 PM Post #10 of 116
For any kind of gaming, accept nothing but the best.

gamingsetup-1024.jpg

Seriously though, I also recommend the HD555.

Nov 18, 2006 at 6:09 PM Post #11 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by reivaj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
cal forums is a terrible place to go for any information lol

Yeah, I mean, why would you ever want to ask the top gaming league in the world what headphones work well for gaming? Ridiculous! It's clearly a much better idea to ask such a question at a forum such as Head-Fi where 90% of the members have never played Counter-Strike, let alone competitively. Thanks for the words of wisdom!

Nov 18, 2006 at 6:11 PM Post #12 of 116
The gold standard gaming headphone remains Beyer dt770/80 (pls break-in for 125 hrs. before you pass judgement on it). The first headphone I got rid of was A500.
The gold standard for gaming cards (not music, never music) is still Creative Labs.

Nov 18, 2006 at 6:20 PM Post #14 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Turtle Beach no, but Sennheiser yes!!! OK HD555 doesn't get much love here, but the 595 does. It's also a fav with gamers......so why not go with a well accepted headphone? Since I'm states side, I don't know what they go for in the UK. If you need something cheaper, then Audio Technica is the best choice.

Hehe. Thanks for the help people.

So the Sennheiser HD595 is way right at the top of my budget, well over. But is it really the best. I mean you can't get better for gaming? Good for sound position?

And how long would it last. Lifetime?

Nov 18, 2006 at 6:22 PM Post #15 of 116
I think the A500 series would be the best for gaming...sounds pretty good and are decently isolating, but the best part of those phones is the imaging and soundstage. Both are top-notch and very important for any kind of gaming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back