[Gaming] ASUS versus Auzentech
Nov 17, 2009 at 2:00 AM Post #16 of 54
Regarding the Auzentech HTHD, would that make hooking my PC up to, say, a 50" plasma a simple matter of running two HDMI cables? One from the vid card and one from the sound card? Forgive my ignorance, I'm a home theatre nooblet. That said, I do occasionally hook the PC up to the big television ... for Blu Ray movies and gaming and whatnot.

EDIT: ROBSCIX, another good idea. Cheers! So I could run the sound out of a Forte and through a cheaper card, purely for the DH?

Nov 17, 2009 at 2:03 AM Post #17 of 54
There are two ways to use this card, with a HDMI receiver deocoding the audio or with the card decoding the high def audio to analog outputs.

You plug the video from your GFX card to the HTHD and teh HDMI out of the HTHD to a receiver. The receiver decodes the audio and sends the video to your display.

..OR

You plug the video from your GFX card to the HTHD and the HDMI output of the HTHD to your monitor and the HTHD 7.1 decodes the high definition audio and sends the high def picture to your display.
You can use just a regular amp or NON HDMI decoding receiver for amplification of analog or decoding of normal Dolby Digital or DTS...

Does that make sense?

Nov 17, 2009 at 2:05 AM Post #18 of 54
Of course, because HDMI carries both audio and video, unlike DVI.

Meaning, in the absence of a receiver, one HDMI cable running from a combination of the HTHD and a GFX card would equal full picture and sound, albiet without a lot of bells and whistes. Correct?

Thanks!

Nov 17, 2009 at 2:13 AM Post #20 of 54
In effect, if my GFX card already provides HDMI out (which it does), I suppose that means I have no real use for the HTHD? Does the same principle apply if I connect the GFX/sound card and run the single HDMI cable from the GFX card to the television or monitor ...? I assume it would function that same way (but I'm a noob, so what do I know?). One issue I've always had with the XtremeGamer is that it does not allow me to connect the cards internally for HDMI out. The headers are all proprietary or some nonsense.

Nov 17, 2009 at 2:21 AM Post #21 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Needles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In effect, if my GFX card already provides HDMI out (which it does), I suppose that means I have no real use for the HTHD? Does the same principle apply if I connect the GFX/sound card and run the single HDMI cable from the GFX card to the television or monitor ...? I assume it would function that same way (but I'm a noob, so what do I know?). One issue I've always had with the XtremeGamer is that it does not allow me to connect the cards internally for HDMI out. The headers are all proprietary or some nonsense.

Well, it depends. Many of the HDMI capable GFX allow for use of the cable BUT they do not handle any of the high definition audio formats such as Dolby TrueHD and DTS-MA. All these cards do is allow you to connect up a S/dpif cable and route normal digital audio into the HDMI cable.
You get the high definition picture but you only get DVD grade audio which is not up to the quality of the newest standards.
I am guessing your GFX card has the S/Pdif inout a you saying you cannot connect your Xtreme gamer internally. Which is exactly what I am talking about above...To boot, S/Pdif is only stereo in this case audio would only be stereo in such a set up.
There are GFX cards that do have this ability but then you lose all the gaming standards using these cards...

Nov 17, 2009 at 3:10 AM Post #22 of 54
Did a quick bit of Google research and you are correct, my 285 GTX can in fact support audio via HDMI out w/ an adapter, but it would only be S/PDIF from the sound card.

In the case of the HDMI out from the HTHD, if I were to connect them internally and run the cable from the Auzentech, are we then talking full on high-def audio AND video with support for all the shiny bits (EAX, CMSS-3D, Macro filters, etc), assuming I have a receiver to decode the signal? In the absence of a receiver, what can I expect (if anything)?

... sorry to harass you with so many questions, by the way. I really appreciate your expertise.

Nov 17, 2009 at 4:27 AM Post #23 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To note, if you have the cash there are also quite a few guys in this fourm that have gaming cards connrcted to external DAC/Amps through S/Pdif.

This gives you all the effects and supports of the gaming card and the improved quality of the higher end DAC/amp.

You could always use the card you have and just add an external DAC/Amp on the S/Pdif output of your card. Would be amazing for headphones....

Wouldn't linking let's say an HTHD to an outside DAC be a waste of money as far as the HTHD goes, considering all the card would be doing is sending the signal for the DAC to decode, and nothing more?

And wouldn't that also pretty much negate every positional audio benefit for gaming the X-Fi chip gives you?

Nov 17, 2009 at 1:09 PM Post #24 of 54
Quote:

Did a quick bit of Google research and you are correct, my 285 GTX can in fact support audio via HDMI out w/ an adapter, but it would only be S/PDIF from the sound card.

In the case of the HDMI out from the HTHD, if I were to connect them internally and run the cable from the Auzentech, are we then talking full on high-def audio AND video with support for all the shiny bits (EAX, CMSS-3D, Macro filters, etc), assuming I have a receiver to decode the signal? In the absence of a receiver, what can I expect (if anything)?

... sorry to harass you with so many questions, by the way. I really appreciate your expertise.

To get the High definition support for Audio you would need to use HDMI not the S/Pdif...

Nov 17, 2009 at 1:14 PM Post #25 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Necrolic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wouldn't linking let's say an HTHD to an outside DAC be a waste of money as far as the HTHD goes, considering all the card would be doing is sending the signal for the DAC to decode, and nothing more?

And wouldn't that also pretty much negate every positional audio benefit for gaming the X-Fi chip gives you?

At that point the conversation was centered around the Forte 7.1 as a few guys around use that card with the Compass DAC/amp. Considering one of the HTHD's main features is HDMI, not using these features might be a waste.

For sake of conversation if you were connecting up an external High end DAC to the S/Pdif output all the effects and positional audio would still be available. This card allows you to use any effects over the S/Pdif, you can turn on the CMSS3D for headphones. All your basically doing when using a high end external DAC with this card is improving the overall sound for stereo/headphone operation.
Make sense?

Nov 17, 2009 at 5:03 PM Post #26 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, it depends. Many of the HDMI capable GFX allow for use of the cable BUT they do not handle any of the high definition audio formats such as Dolby TrueHD and DTS-MA. All these cards do is allow you to connect up a S/dpif cable and route normal digital audio into the HDMI cable.
You get the high definition picture but you only get DVD grade audio which is not up to the quality of the newest standards.

Source? AFAIK, ATI cards have supported any audio out you can throw at the HDMI output for the past two years or so...

Quote:

Originally Posted by AMD/ATI on the HD4000 Series
Integrated HD audio controller with support for stereo and multi-channel (up to 7.1) audio formats, including AC-3, AAC, DTS, DTS-HD & Dolby True-HD4, enabling a plug-and-play audio solution over HDMI

Nov 17, 2009 at 5:42 PM Post #27 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by somestranger26 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Source? AFAIK, ATI cards have supported any audio out you can throw at the HDMI output for the past two years or so...

You edited you post...it is hard to answer when you keep changing what your saying
wink.gif
..anyway:
Edit-> We are not talking about the same cards. Some GFX cards are supposed to be able to produce HDMI spec audio but they do not pass it from another source through S/Pdif.

As for the other GFX cards people are talking about, the GFX card will allow input through S/Pdif but the soundcards S/pdif output cannot pass these high definition standards. S/Pdif normally is stereo output. You can get surround audio encoded but it is a very lossy compression Ala' Dolby DIgital Live or DTS-Connect.

DolbyTrueHD and DTS-HD need more bandwidth then what is available through S/pdif. There is no hardware that can pass these standards over S/pdif...just is not possible.
HDMI is the only technology that will allow these standard to be used as there is boat load of copy protection built right in and you also have the PAP to worry about.

Again, These GFX cards will integrate whatever audio is sent through the S/Pdif with video and send that over HDMI cable. While it is a HDMI cable and video is high definition the audio is not these newer high definition standards that are now avilable on many blu rays. At best you would be limited to 16/44.1 or 16/48...

As I said, we are not talking the same thing. You are confusing the ability of the newest GFX cards with what the older GFX cards can do.

Nov 17, 2009 at 6:19 PM Post #28 of 54
With regards to what the new graphics card can do in terms of HD audio:

Quote:

Originally Posted by AMD/ATI spec sheets
Integrated HD audio controller with support for stereo and multi-channel (up to 7.1) audio formats, including AC-3, AAC, DTS, DTS-HD & Dolby True-HD4, enabling a plug-and-play audio solution over HDMI

This is the same one you quoted, Did you see the small 4 over the TrueHD? -It is hard to see because when you quote it, it changes to normal text.
Right here:
Quote:

Originally Posted by AMD/ATI spec sheets

If we look down at the fine print, we see
4. Subject to digital rights management limitations; maximum supported audio stream bandwidth is 6.144 Mbps.

Which is a fancy way of saying the card HDMI audio output is sample locked.
The max bit rate for Dolby TrueHD is ~18 Mbps
The max bit rate fo DTS-HD is ~24.5 Mbps

So while these cards are technically offering these standards they are limiting the fidelity of your output.

Nov 17, 2009 at 6:21 PM Post #29 of 54
Does the HTHD allow one to connect GFX and sound internally via something other than S/Pdif? Or, if the two are connected internally via S/Pdif, assuming one uses the HDMI out on the sound card, that means there's enough bandwidth for the audio, correct? Meanwhile, the internal S/Pdif connection is beefy enough to handle the hi-def video coming from the graphics card?

... I guess I can answer my own question with some Google action. I'm really trying to ensure I understand the difference between the Forte and the HTHD. I realize the fact that I need to ask all these questions probably means the HTHD is more sound card than I actually need ... but in the interest of making an informed decision, education is job one.

Thanks again for all the help!

Nov 17, 2009 at 6:38 PM Post #30 of 54
Quote:

Does the HTHD allow one to connect GFX and sound internally via something other than S/Pdif? Or, if the two are connected internally via S/Pdif, assuming one uses the HDMI out on the sound card, that means there's enough bandwidth for the audio, correct? Meanwhile, the internal S/Pdif connection is beefy enough to handle the hi-def video coming from the graphics card?
Yes, there is a special connector on the HTHD that looks like a SLi header. I have seen liitle informaiton just that it woudl be available on future GFX cards. The software switches are already in the drivers also to enable this internal HDMI patch. -If this is what your asking.

... I guess I can answer my own question with some Google action. I'm really trying to ensure I understand the difference between the Forte and the HTHD. I realize the fact that I need to ask all these questions probably means the HTHD is more sound card than I actually need ... but in the interest of making an informed decision, education is job one.

Thanks again for all the help!

Well the main difference between the Forte and the HTHD is mainly the HDMI circuitry. This card also supports Dolby True HD and DTS-MA which the Forte 7.1 currently does not.
HDMI itself is still very much a niche market on the PC, many have been using HDMI GFX for ahiwle but tru HDMI based audio is just starting to be available through this and one other card. New product are bsing rleased everyday so maybe something new will be released that also offers these standards. Personally, if I had to choose between the Forte and the HTHD 7.1..I would take the newer card. Even if you don't want to use the HDMI options you may want to later on down the road. Options and features are nice to have even if your not going to use them right now. If the HDMI aspects are not really somethign you think you will ever use, grab the Forte 7.1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back