Gaming: AD700 vs MDR-F1
Feb 12, 2009 at 5:31 AM Post #61 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, theres a reason why the SYMTH creator choice the STAX 404 for his system. I doubt it was a random pick.

Man oh man, i'd KILL for that setup.

Feb 12, 2009 at 5:35 AM Post #62 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by lucky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And speakers blow away electrostatics. But in a conversation about dynamic headphones, there's very little that approaches the AD700 stage, no matter how much you spend.

The AD700, like all dynamics can't duplicate the smoothness, and natural feel of planar, especially electros. So if both have the same size ss the planar/electro will win out in the end.

Feb 12, 2009 at 5:40 AM Post #63 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by Foe-hammer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Man oh man, i'd KILL for that setup.

Yeah, I'd kill for bi aural gaming and movies..No one would their speakers again. I'm getting my planar fix on orthos.. A stax Lamda nova is on ebay now. Current bid is 177.00. Many feel they are better then the newer 303/404 models.

Feb 12, 2009 at 5:40 AM Post #64 of 78
Quote:

The AD700, like all dynamics can't duplicate the smoothness, and natural feel of planar, especially electros. So if both have the same size ss the planar/electro will win out in the end.

Speaking of that, have you had a chance to use your planar headphones with SC DSP?

Feb 12, 2009 at 5:42 AM Post #65 of 78
I'd like to add, the DT880s are so much better for music
smily_headphones1.gif

The games also sound better, you just don't get as good positonal audio in them.

Feb 12, 2009 at 5:44 AM Post #66 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by liamlw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

The games also sound better, you just don't get as good positonal audio in them.

Hook them up to a Dolby Headphone DSP receiver, and you'll think differently. I don't recommend DSP for music, only for gaming and movies.

Feb 12, 2009 at 5:57 AM Post #67 of 78
Quote:

Speaking of that, have you had a chance to use your planar headphones with SC DSP?

Very good first impression, but will need some serious gaming time to see how they fare. I'm looking at a pair that was modded for speed, clarity, and detail..This will give me a better indication, as the 810s sound warm and colored to my ears.

Feb 12, 2009 at 2:14 PM Post #68 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by liamlw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

This.
X-fi + CMSS-3D headphone > Dolby Headphone for gaming tbh.

Feb 12, 2009 at 11:12 PM Post #69 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This.
X-fi + CMSS-3D headphone > Dolby Headphone for gaming tbh.

What the hell is a CMSS-3D headphone?

Have you compared both?

I have a hard time believing that some 3D headphone is better then a high quality stereo headphone plus Dolby Headphone DSP.

Feb 13, 2009 at 1:36 AM Post #70 of 78
Quote:

What the hell is a CMSS-3D headphone?

Have you compared both?

I have a hard time believing that some 3D headphone is better then a high quality stereo headphone plus Dolby Headphone DSP.

CMSS-3D headphone is Creative's (poor) implementation of surround sound in headphones. It's poor as in it sucks for music and movies but is quite good for games. And yes, compared both with AD700.

This is is that, whether you like it or not, X-fi is just better for gaming.

For value-for-money and gaming purposes (as in positioning), the AD700 is stupid good value. Only really beaten by the MDR-F1, 3.6x the price.
I prefer my AD700's for FPS's over my DT880's.

That said, I'd love to try some electros.

Feb 13, 2009 at 8:59 AM Post #71 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
CMSS-3D headphone is Creative's (poor) implementation of surround sound in headphones. It's poor as in it sucks for music and movies but is quite good for games. And yes, compared both with AD700.

This is is that, whether you like it or not, X-fi is just better for gaming.

For value-for-money and gaming purposes (as in positioning), the AD700 is stupid good value. Only really beaten by the MDR-F1, 3.6x the price.
I prefer my AD700's for FPS's over my DT880's.

That said, I'd love to try some electros.

No argument there with the x-fi card, but that isn't even an option with consoles.

Did you have a Dolby Headphone compatible card in your pc, or something? How did you A/B compare the two?

Feb 13, 2009 at 12:33 PM Post #72 of 78
Quote:

Yeah, I'd kill for bi aural gaming and movies..No one would their speakers again. I'm getting my planar fix on orthos.. A stax Lamda nova is on ebay now. Current bid is 177.00. Many feel they are better then the newer 303/404 models.

I'm afraid it will be a while before i can afford to go electrostat, because the only stax i'd get are the Omega II's. Because they are the only stax headphones that look comfortable. Those other not only look hideous, but most important very uncomfortable for long periods of wear.

Feb 13, 2009 at 1:00 PM Post #73 of 78
Quote:

No argument there with the x-fi card, but that isn't even an option with consoles.

Did you have a Dolby Headphone compatible card in your pc, or something? How did you A/B compare the two?

Yes, I had an the time, an X-fi Prelude and an Asus Essence STX.

Feb 13, 2009 at 3:48 PM Post #74 of 78
Quote:

I'm afraid it will be a while before i can afford to go electrostat, because the only stax i'd get are the Omega II's. Because they are the only stax headphones that look comfortable. Those other not only look hideous, but most important very uncomfortable for long periods of wear.

The Lambda Nova Signature is the most comfortable headphone I've ever had except that my ears touch the foam but that's only because earpads are a bit old now. Okay, it looks ... interesting
jecklinsmile.gif
I've read that's it is not that easy to find the perfect fit with the Omega II and the pads can become worn more frequently compared to other headphones so it wouldn't be my choice for gaming.

Feb 13, 2009 at 9:48 PM Post #75 of 78
Enjoyed reading this thread. I have the Pioneer se-dir800c wireless headphones with the dolby base unit. I really think it is cool as this is my first experience with dolby headphone. I think the Pioneer 800c headphones themselves are a bit cheap feeling and the comfort isn't great, but adequate. I wanted to get a set of wired cans to plug into the unit, and was wondering if the base unit has enough ummph to power a set like the dt880's or Sony MDR F1's, if I decided to get them over the ad700's? I use them primarily for movies and xbox360 gaming (love Bioshock!). What do you guys think?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back